Chapala.com Webboard

Zihuatanejo / Ixtapa

Ajijic

Zihuatanejo / Ixtapa / Troncones is the closest places for many in central Mexico to visit the coast. From San Miguel it is 6.5 hours. From Morelia it is 3 hours. Unfortunately, if you read today's Borderland Beat you will find a huge confrontation between rival narcos. This is extremely unfortunate for visitors and the people of this area.

I did not publish the link as photos are very graphic and disturbing and will change our plans for Christmas.

My dear friends who have lived in Patzcuaro and Ixtapa for six years suffered a horrible attack in their home last May, when rival gangs moved in and needed cars and money. The local police all seemed to be either allied with the gangs or afraid. State police had to come in to investigate. My friends who loved Mexico so much have since moved to Scottsdale.

I fear the same type of thing happening here more often as the same type of gang wars are now heating up in our area.

OHHHHHHHHHH this is really sad as that is one beach location we have loved for years.

To be be honest....Cancun...Playa ...Puerta Vallarta appears to be still safe. One can fly InterJet...or other domestic flights.

The beaches are still gorgeous. What a shame....also...Barra de Navidad is drivable from Ajijic....nice area.

Zihuatanejo / Ixtapa / Troncones is the closest places for many in central Mexico to visit the coast. From San Miguel it is 6.5 hours. From Morelia it is 3 hours. Unfortunately, if you read today's Borderland Beat you will find a huge confrontation between rival narcos. This is extremely unfortunate for visitors and the people of this area.

I did not publish the link as photos are very graphic and disturbing and will change our plans for Christmas.

I appreciate how you reported this information. You put into context why this could be particularly relevant to the readers of this webboard. If people want to look at the photos or read more, they can go to borderland beat. Its thoughtful and responsible, in my opinion.

Archived