Chapala.com Webboard

Alarm for when CFE goes off

cedros

Does anyone know of anything that can be used as an audible alarm for when the electricity goes off?

Yesterday and today it has gone off in the middle of the afternoon and since we didn't have any lights or AV equipment on we didn't know it was off for awhile. I would like to know as soon as it goes off so I can unplug the fridge, turn off pumps, etc.

Edited to add; I meant when we have a brownout not a total power loss.

Does anyone know of anything that can be used as an audible alarm for when the electricity goes off?

Yesterday and today it has gone off in the middle of the afternoon and since we didn't have any lights or AV equipment on we didn't know it was off for awhile. I would like to know as soon as it goes off so I can unplug the fridge, turn off pumps, etc.

I had a Led emergency flashlight with alarm that went off when the power went off. This one, on amazon.com, is similar. perhaps that is a start for your search: http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-THP207-Failure-Flashlight/dp/B000IF8QDK

I use an APC-brand UPS (uninterruptible power supply) which includes a surge protector. When the power goes off or gets too low through a brownout, the UPS cuts over to the battery instantly to keep the power on to my computer so that no data is lost. When this happens, the UPS makes a beeping sound to alert me I am on battery. It will beep again periodically until I turn off the UPS battery. My computer does not have to be on for the UPS to react to a power loss. The only downside to this is that if there is a temporary power loss in the middle of the night, I have to climb out of bed to turn off the UPS because it will keep beeping periodically until I do.

Here is a link to APC/UPS: http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

I had a Led emergency flashlight with alarm that went off when the power went off. This one, on amazon.com, is similar. perhaps that is a start for your search: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000IF8QDK

My original post was in error. I meant an alarm for when we have a brownout not a total power loss. The brownout is more troublesome. Would that flashlight work with a brownout? Something like that could be ideal as I could put it in a bath room where I would hear it if I'm inside the house or when I'm on my mirador which is often.

I use an APC-brand UPS (uninterruptible power supply) which includes a surge protector. When the power goes off or gets too low through a brownout, the UPS cuts over to the battery instantly to keep the power on to my computer so that no data is lost. When this happens, the UPS makes a beeping sound to alert me I am on battery. It will beep again periodically until I turn off the UPS battery. My computer does not have to be on for the UPS to react to a power loss. The only downside to this is that if there is a temporary power loss in the middle of the night, I have to climb out of bed to turn off the UPS because it will keep beeping periodically until I do.

Here is a link to APC/UPS: http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

I wonder how much those APC/UPS cost? I already have whole house voltage regulation and a fancy surge protector for my computer and don't really need battery backup.

I wonder how much those APC/UPS cost? I already have whole house voltage regulation and a fancy surge protector for my computer and don't really need battery backup.

I thought that when I first moved here. I was wrong. First brownout destroyed my PC. I picked up a battery back up at costco for under $200 US a while back. Walmart has cheaper ones but they looked like they had all been opened and used and returned so I got a better unit. Benno the computer guy across from LCS sells them also, not sure what his prices are. And mine beeps during a brownout as well as a total power failure.

I thought that when I first moved here. I was wrong. First brownout destroyed my PC. I picked up a battery back up at costco for under $200 US a while back. Walmart has cheaper ones but they looked like they had all been opened and used and returned so I got a better unit. Benno the computer guy across from LCS sells them also, not sure what his prices are. And mine beeps during a brownout as well as a total power failure.

My computer shuts off as soon as there is a brownout. I'm not sure if it is the CPU shutting it off or my surge protector so I can't see why I would need battery backup.

I have just heard that there is a much better solution than an alarm. It is a small box that you plug or wire in before your fridge or pump or whatever you want to protect. When a brownout occurs it shuts the power off to that appliance and it doesn't turn back on until normal power returns. Similar to http://www.genteca.com.ve/productos/exceline/gsm-ep.php

It is like a surge protector but it is for low power rather than high. I've never seen them mentioned on this forum. Has anyone used them and can they recommend a particular one?

We've been here a decade and have all Mexican-made appliances. None have external protection, of any kind, are never unplugged and have never failed in power failures or brown-outs.

Neighbors, with all appliances brought from the USA, have lost TVs and refrigerators in the same conditions.

There is a lesson there.

Desk top computers can benefit from a UPS, but laptops are safe without external protection. Just unplug the charger when not in use.

We've been here a decade and have all Mexican-made appliances. None have external protection, of any kind, are never unplugged and have never failed in power failures or brown-outs.

Neighbors, with all appliances brought from the USA, have lost TVs and refrigerators in the same conditions.

There is a lesson there.

Desk top computers can benefit from a UPS, but laptops are safe without external protection. Just unplug the charger when not in use.

A electrician was here yesterday and he told this isn't true but is just an old legend. He said Mexican made appliances with motors and pumps burn out in brownouts just like appliances made anywhere.

This might be the answer to the problem to both power surges and brownouts;

http://www.genteca.com.ve/productos/exceline/gsm-ep.php

Cheap appliances, without thermal protection, will burn out; no matter where they were designed to be used. However, in the slightly better models, there are more robust power supplies and thermal protection in pumps; especially good are quiet submersibles in your aljibe, instead of a noisy conventional pump. The submersible can also be protected by a 'low water' float switch.

I learned some years back that the whole house protection units here may work for voltage overages, but they are no protection against underages. And to prove my point, my new pressure system pump burned out this weekend from low voltage during a brownout. I was not home, so I was not even aware. As far as I know, units to protect against that are not cheap.

I learned some years back that the whole house protection units here may work for voltage overages, but they are no protection against underages. And to prove my point, my new pressure system pump burned out this weekend from low voltage during a brownout. I was not home, so I was not even aware. As far as I know, units to protect against that are not cheap.

This one http://www.genteca.c...line/gsm-ep.php is supposed to work for low voltages and is relatively cheap. It shuts off when the voltage is too low (and with a surge) and turns back on when the voltage is normal. It supposedly costs 1,400 pesos but I am having trouble finding where to buy them. A neighbour recently got one to plug his fridge into and had one wired into his pressure pump.

If anyone sees this plug anywhere could they please post it?

This one http://www.genteca.c...line/gsm-ep.php is supposed to work for low voltages and is relatively cheap. It shuts off when the voltage is too low (and with a surge) and turns back on when the voltage is normal. It supposedly costs 1,400 pesos but I am having trouble finding where to buy them. A neighbour recently got one to plug his fridge into and had one wired into his pressure pump.

If anyone sees this plug anywhere could they please post it?

http://www.elecva.com/pgs/productos_electrica_variedades_material_electrico.htm

Electricos Varidades has everything, biggest inventory in Guadalajara. They have had every odd thing I ever needed, print the description and they will have it, or something similar.

AUDIBLE POWER FAILURE ALARM:

1. Remove the light fixture over your bed.

2. Install an electromagnet in its place.

3. Turn on the light switch.

4. Place your largest hammer on the magnet; it will stay there.

In the event of a power failure, the magnet will release the hammer and you will scream in pain.

http://www.elecva.co...l_electrico.htm

Electricos Varidades has everything, biggest inventory in Guadalajara. They have had every odd thing I ever needed, print the description and they will have it, or something similar.

Thanks for that link. I tried to look through it but it drove my computer haywire. I showed it to my electrician. He knows that place well and he says they won't have it.

If you look through the genteca link I gave above you will see they have all kinds of various electrical gadgets for not only power surges but for brownouts. They seem to be the only ones that have devices for turning the power off and on when there is a brown out. I'm sure many people Lakeside could use them and of course they would be much better than having an alarm to tell you when to shut the power off. They are made in Venezuela and don't seem to be readily available in Mexico. There is an electrician called Marcos who handles some of them but he charges a huge markup and he won't tell you where he buys them. My electrician suspects you have to get them in Mexico City. Jara ferreteria in Ajijc has been trying to track them down for several weeks.

Archived