Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico to Brazil. Visa requirements ?

Jistme

We'll be traveling to Brazil later this year, and have been advised that Visa's are necessary in order to enter the country.

One Travel Agency quoted us a Visa fee of over 2,500 pesos, although I'm not clear on whether this is the total for both travelers.

A second Travel Agency said the fee is $100us. each, if we apply in person at the Brazilian Embassy in Guadalajara.

Someone else informed us that there's no Visa requirements if one is holding a British passport.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this enquiry.

I assume that you are not too far from Guadalajara to visit the Brazilian Consulate, or to contact them by phone or e-mail:

Consulado de Brasil

Domicilio: Av. Vallarta #1222, Colonia Americana

Guadalajara, Jalisco. C.P. 44160

Tel: (33) 3826-6444

Fax: (33) 3825-9527

Servicios: AsesorĂ­a a residentes.

E-mail: jgs@megared.net.mx

G598738. Can you recall the fee for your Brazil Visa, and did you make your application on your own, or through a travel agency ?

Any other information on obtaining this Visa would be appreciated.

The consulate in Guadalajara does not supply Visa's for Brazil.

I am a USA citizen. I got a Brazilian visa 6 years ago and the cost was $100 USA dollars from the Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco. But my understanding was that the fee and visa requirement (and the particular price charged) was more of a retaliation for the USA having instituted visa rules for Brazilians. The visa was good for 5 years.

When going from most South American countries to Brazil, you must be able to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccination.

I would check the web site of the Brazilian embassy in the UK, that will probably have all the info you need about pricing and requirements.

OK, I just did that:

http://www.brazil.or...ccinations.html

Visas

UK passport holders do not require a visa to enter Brazil. However, passports must be valid for at least six months and a return ticket and proof of sufficient funds may be requested on arrival. Tourists will be admitted for a stay of up to 90 days which is extendable, at the discretion of the Federal Police, for a further 90 days. Tourists are not allowed to work.

Thanks all for your responses. According to the Travel agency the fee for a Brazilian Visa is 2,650 pesos, or $195us dollars.

From what we've been given to understand, we must go through a 3rd party, or facilitator, hence the hefty Visa fee. for a Canadian or U.S. citizen.

You are correct Kramer, Brits don't require a Visa if they are in possession of a current U.K. passport.

My son and his wife in Australia were able to send their documentation directly to the Brazilian Embassy in Sydney together with a cheque for seventy aussie diollars.

Incidentally, the Consulate in Guadalajara does not issue Visa's. All applications must be sent to Mexico City.

signed jistme, trying to make sense of it all!

Archived