Chapala.com Webboard

Thirsty Turtle

hensley

Daniel, you can't make everyone happy in this world. The law is clear about smoking inside a restaurant and you simply need to comply with it. The very great majority of people do not smoke these days, most smokers are willing to forgo the habit for a few hours in return for a good meal, and many, including us, will not patronize restaurants that ignore the law and permit indoor smoking. It's your restaurant and your call. You can chose to ignore these facts and accept the consequences.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A restaurant owner who decides or tries to decide what will make everyone happy and then choses to try to please a minority, smokers, parents with ill-behaved children, pets that think they are human, loud drunks, people who need to yell while on cell phones, etc, usually winds up selling off their equipment in less than a year....after selling off the equipment that owner usually keeps one ashtray for old times sake. Even the best hamburgers won't sell to the people that decide not to patronize you.

You should hold out for what you believe in....don't give in....there are always other towns

But that is the question: What does Daniel believe in, in this case?

Telling people there is room for 3000 is just dodging the question, since there are no restaurants in this area with that kind of INDOORf seating. Sounds like he meant the great outdoors. Swell idea in this weather. LOL

I just had a thought: I'll bet the 'owner' still smokes, himself, and realizes that he will be unable to smoke in his own establishment, even when it is closed; as it will leave the smell behind and he'll still lose business and also risk being reported, in which case, the fuzz will have to respond and fine him.

Most of us have suffered through the quitting process, with or without the impetus of a heart attack or other event, but we managed. Now, maybe it is his turn; for the sake of his business' success.

Geez, alright, we get it....you don't like smoking in restaurants....then don't go there! Can we stop beating up a local restaurant that is trying very hard to make a new go of it?! You've said your piece, move on! And before you attack, I am a former smoker.

I think that you are loosing sight of the fact that its a "meet & greet" event and non smokers want to attend.

No, have not lost sight of it, and I think with Dan being aware of the issue he will undoubtedly go out of his way to make everyone comfortable - give him a chance is all I'm saying.

Maybe so, but so far he has not responded to direct questions as to his smoking policy.

Actually his responses resemble a politician dodging a question on Meet the Press.

So in the interests of fairness, I'll ask again: "Will you follow the law and not allow smoking inside in your restaurant, or are you planning to continue to allow smoking inside the Thirsty Turtle?"

Answers such as I'm planning on making everyone happy do not address the issue.

Maybe so, but so far he has not responded to direct questions as to his smoking policy.

Actually his responses resemble a politician dodging a question on Meet the Press.

So in the interests of fairness, I'll ask again: "Will you follow the law and not allow smoking inside in your restaurant, or are you planning to continue to allow smoking inside the Thirsty Turtle?"

Answers such as I'm planning on making everyone happy do not address the issue.

Orrrr, maybe he'll allow smoking inside, and make some of us very happy campers.

Let's face facts, even if only 12 per cent of people here smoke, and winter is pretty well nigh upon us, a nice cozy place where we can smoke inside would be a welcome change to the politically correct and sterile no smoking joints around here. Figure out for yourself just how many restaurants there are here, how many smokers, then you do the math.

Like Rev Immigrant, I like smoking, and plan to continue, unmolested by the brainwashed.

Guest RevImmigrant

Thank you for your support, Cracker. I will not be intimidated by the anti-smokers and will avoid them and the restaurants that do not provide a smoking area. Most of my friends smoke too.

Thank you for your support, Cracker. I will not be intimidated by the anti-smokers and will avoid them and the restaurants that do not provide a smoking area. Most of my friends smoke too.

De nada Rev, we're in this thing together.

Super advertisement for the Thirsty Turtle, and it's freeeeeeee, just like us.

Unfortunately we will have to bow out. Not over the smoke but the music. I am more interested in moving around and talking to people and just find it unpleasant to hold a conversation over the sound system.

Guest RevImmigrant

Solajijic, I agree with you on the music. It's difficult to carry on a conversation with loud music. Unfortunately, here music seems to come in one of three volumes: loud, extremely loud and loud enough to hear in warm, sunny Novosibirsk.

Archived