Chapala.com Webboard

Thirsty Turtle

hensley

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RevImmigrant

RV, I'm sorry you have such a problem with smoking. However, there are many of us who still smoke. All of my close friends except one smoke for example. A friend told me today that they were there a few days ago and the tables are far enough apart that he didn't see it would be a problem (his entire family smokes). I tend to vote with my feet and my pocketbook and do not patronize restaurants that do not have outside tables or another suitable, legal smoking area. I did get takeout from one local restaurant a week ago so we could have a birthday party at home for one of us (all of us smoke so we didn't want to go there to eat, but like the food).

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but so be it. I am entitled to my opinion too.

If the owner ignores the situation, he'll lose a lot of potential business or be fined suddenly by the authorities, should they 'smell the smoke'.

Oh well, there are a lot of other places to eat.

If the owner ignores the situation, he'll lose a lot of potential business or be fined suddenly by the authorities, should they 'smell the smoke'.

Oh well, there are a lot of other places to eat.

If you're feeling a hamburger itch, there's Early Bird, 60's in Paradise, Roberto's, Tony's and for the best fries with it: Yves.( Homemade.)

There are probably a dozen others to choose from..

I agree that if he wants the smokers, Thirsty Turtle should put the tables outside. If there is an "outside"?? Haven't been there since he moved.

Went to the Turtle last night with friends. Arrived about 8:50 P.M.. No one in the place. Ordered cheeseburgers, beer, coke light, and

Margarita. Waitress said no coke light, so owner left premises, came back 10 minutes later with coke light. Margarita was fair.

Cheeseburgers are excellent, good fries, 15 peso beer. Good evening!

I hope they get the message about the smoking. Sunrise got hit with a really big fine, something like 20K pesos, for not stopping the smoking. And they ae really open air, frankly I was surprised since you can't really say the place is enclosed, except for the entryway. Turtle is in a fully enclosed space.

Sunrise sure as heck is smoke free now.

:)

It appears the owner is aware of this thread and is ignoring the smoking issue.

I would guess that 10% to 20% of the people in this area smoke. I have a difficult time understanding why he would risk loosing the majority of his customer base by trying to pacify the minority.

I am looking forward to trying the hamburgers; Gary is a hamburger loving-guy. We have found 60s in Paradise to be our favorite, but with the increase in people and traffic, we really don't have the inclination to travel there as often now. Since TT moved from our corner, this new location is still in a great place for someone in San Antonio.

The smoking issue will be a big one for us, though. We really won't eat happily in a place with a lot of tobacco smoke. We'd happily eat outside if the smokers were all inside, though.

Is the confusion over whether this is a bar or restaurant? Is it that bars can have smokers legally in Mexico, but restaurants can't?

Carol

My wife and I stopped in last night for a couple of drinks and decided to order dinner. I ordered the Buffalo Wings and must say that they were some of the best I have ever had. The fries that came with the wings were also excellent. My wife had a chicken sandwich with a salad and it was also very good. I made a point to let the chef know just how good everything was. We will definitely be back!

Guest RevImmigrant

I would guess that 10% to 20% of the people in this area smoke. I have a difficult time understanding why he would risk loosing the majority of his customer base by trying to pacify the minority.

Where do you get your figures? If you're just guessing, you might guess wrong.

Where do you get your figures? If you're just guessing, you might guess wrong.

I'm not sure how one would get accurate figures for "this area", but here's the figures for Mexico, in general.

Mexico has 13 million smokers within its population of 105 million. That's about 12%.

Based on Internet search of world smoking statistics for 2010.

I am really puzzled as to why this discussion is taking place. The Mexican anti-smoking law is very clear and clearly applies to the enclosed space occupied by the Turtle. The law requires separate spaces for smoking and non smoking and requires special ventilation for the former. A number of fat fines have been passed out around the area already. Why would any restaurant in their right mind not observe the law?

Please do not attend this event if you are so addicted to tobacco that you can't abstain from it for a short while. And Daniel, please don't jeopardize the long-awaited return of the Turtle by trying to ignore this law which clearly applies to you. Post the Turtle non-smoking and make it stick.

We've also been waiting for the Thirsty Turtle to announce that it will be 100% smoke free, in accordance with the law and plain old common sense.

Since it has not appeared, we and our friends will avoid the place like the plague.

Guest RevImmigrant

Mainecoons, I wasn't planning to attend anyway, but not because of the /smoking/non-smoking dispute. FYI, I have survived several trans-Atlantic flights, all of which were non-smoking. My next project is to survive LAX/NRT next year and then on to Bangkok.

Daniel has ignored the non smokiing issue saying the non smokers can be outside. I had mentioned in a previous posting that allowing smoking is not legal.

could you show me where i said that and if you will read the other post where the smoking issue started i said we were looking for a way to make everyone happy so please read all imformation it could be in the meet and greet thred so please all coments before throwing stones thank you i

Archived