Chapala.com Webboard

Salt & Pepper

mexbound

My wife and I went to Salt and Pepper this past weekend. They are located in the old Chile Bang location. Their current hours are 5pm to 2am seven days a week. In the near future they will be opening earlier for lunch. The food is mostly bar/pub food. I had the Habanero Wings which IMO were excellent. You can get the heat level ordered to whatever you like. My wife had the salad with slices of chicken. She said it was very good. My wife drinks Tequila with Squirt light. They did not have any Squirt light but immediately went down to the local tienda and bought some. Juan (the waiter from Hole-in-One) is now there and is happy as ever. My wife and I recommend going in and seeing for yourself.

We were there last night; we had the 'house' wings and they were good size, nicely grilled. They are still sorting things out. Juan warned us when we ordered, that the wine price was 50 pesos, but said they are in process of adding house wines (from Chile, he thought) that would be delivered later this week, and expected to have house glass prices of 35 or 40 pesos. The owner/manager also told us that and both were eager for feedback on what will help the restaurant succeed.

The menu with prices is posted on the street (Hidalgo, first block off the Plaza, where Chili Bang once was).

• 3 weeks later...

We went to this place twice last week - and would be going there frequently if we were not leaving for AZ at the end of the week.

Without going into a full blast review, this place is owned/managed by two brothers. In all my dining experiences, from cheap to expensive, I've rarely encountered a restaurant that is working so hard to please, and asking sincerely for comments, suggestions and criticism.

We had very little criticism. The habenero wings were grilled and quite different from standard buffalo wings - very good. The buffalo wings were just dandy, but be warned that the medium sauce is damn hot. They offered to replace them, but we were fine, but did suggest to the brothers that they consider making downgrading the heat a bit. Or make the mild sauce their medium and the medium sauce their hot, and their hot sauce is likely suicidal. I suspect they have already made that change. They also have a variety of other sauces, some for grilled wings, others for the buffalo wings.

Another visit, two hamburgers, without question the best we've had in Lakeside (no, we haven't gotten them at TT, so no comparisons). High quality meat, great bacon, cheese, choice of sides including regular fries, coleslaw and sweet potato fries (love those things). I think the burgers were 80-90 peso's, and a bargain.

Wine by the glass has been priced at 38 pesos. Nice glass, good size pour and a perfectly acceptable house red. When they ran out, they apologized and just gave us the more expensive stuff at the same price.

These folks are doing everything right so far, and trying to do even better. For bar/pub type food, and a variety of entree salads (which looked very good) and a terrific burger, it's a great choice.

My wife and I went to Salt and Pepper this past weekend. They are located in the old Chile Bang location. Their current hours are 5pm to 2am seven days a week. In the near future they will be opening earlier for lunch. The food is mostly bar/pub food. I had the Habanero Wings which IMO were excellent. You can get the heat level ordered to whatever you like. My wife had the salad with slices of chicken. She said it was very good. My wife drinks Tequila with Squirt light. They did not have any Squirt light but immediately went down to the local tienda and bought some. Juan (the waiter from Hole-in-One) is now there and is happy as ever. My wife and I recommend going in and seeing for yourself.

Since we're new here, where is the old Chile Bang location?

Carol

Archived