Chapala.com Webboard

chinese food at laguna center

Animalover

I think the name of it's Jin Peng, but I don't know the phone number.

The fone number is 766-3688 and they do deliver. I picked up a menu the other day and they have an extensive menu that they make to order, not just the stuff of the buffet. We think the food is very good and large portions.

Guest RevImmigrant

Sailor, my experience was totally different. I was there once just after they opened and had a cooked-to-order dish (I forget what). It was so incredibly bad I have never wanted to go back. Compared to some of thee excellent Chinese restaurants I've been to in other places, including rather unlikely places such as all over in Germany, particularly Berlin, and Istanbul, the state of Chinese food around here is appalling. Here they tend to use jicama instead of water chestnuts, probably because it's alot cheaper, and serve fried rice instead of the normal white rice with the entree. I'm glad I can cook and make some dim sum so I can get my fix regularly at home.

As they say, "different strokes for different folks."

Sailor, my experience was totally different. I was there once just after they opened and had a cooked-to-order dish (I forget what). It was so incredibly bad I have never wanted to go back. Compared to some of thee excellent Chinese restaurants I've been to in other places, including rather unlikely places such as all over in Germany, particularly Berlin, and Istanbul, the state of Chinese food around here is appalling. Here they tend to use jicama instead of water chestnuts, probably because it's alot cheaper, and serve fried rice instead of the normal white rice with the entree. I'm glad I can cook and make some dim sum so I can get my fix regularly at home.

As they say, "different strokes for different folks."

I sure wish there were some decent Chinese restaurants around here too. Used to go to Min Wah, but lately, it was terrible. We have tried this new one a couple of times and thought it was ok since I was dying for Chinese, but of course, not like we are used to.

We drive from Chapala to Jocotepec just to eat at China Inn. It is worth the drive; unpretentious but always good. We frequently get two appetizers, like the camaron capeados and the spring rolls, with a bowl of soup, and a pot of hot tea, for lunch.

We drive from Chapala to Jocotepec just to eat at China Inn. It is worth the drive; unpretentious but always good. We frequently get two appetizers, like the camaron capeados and the spring rolls, with a bowl of soup, and a pot of hot tea, for lunch.

Gracias. We will give it a try as we have heard it is good.

Gracias. We will give it a try as we have heard it is good.

Now don't laugh......but the Sunday "Chinese" dinners at Roberto's aren't bad at all, compared to...........anyway, they have a cook there who used to work in a Chinese restaurant someplace............and he puts together a considerable variety of dishes, from Mongolian Beef to mooshu pork, served with an egg flower soup to start along with a crispy egg roll. 85 pesos for the works, including a set of cheap chopsticks. Hot and sour soup instead of egg flower is an extra 20 pesos.

:P

Guest RevImmigrant

A friend told me the Chinese restaurant in Joco was closed now because of the violence over there.

Roberto's Chinese isn't bad, but the chef tends to put onions in dishes that normally don't have any onions, doesn't use scallions in some of the dishes that have them and, of course, serves fried rice like they do here. I asked for white rice the last time and when I finally got it, it wasn't sticky. It was rice, probably Mexican, cooked the normal way it's cooked here.

No, it isn't. It is a tempura preparation & they offer vegetable or mixed tempura, too. But, you can also get pretty good sushi if you call ahead. I think the wife may be Japanese & the husband Mexican with lots of US Chinese restaurant experience. Anyway, they have a rather large menu and it's all pretty darned good for not being in China, or at least Chinatown somewhere.

A friend told me the Chinese restaurant in Joco was closed now because of the violence over there.

Roberto's Chinese isn't bad, but the chef tends to put onions in dishes that normally don't have any onions, doesn't use scallions in some of the dishes that have them and, of course, serves fried rice like they do here. I asked for white rice the last time and when I finally got it, it wasn't sticky. It was rice, probably Mexican, cooked the normal way it's cooked here.

You're quite right about the onions and such.....not very authentic, but sometimes the urge for any old Chinesey food is strong enough to overlook the flaws. We had dinner there last night: I had the "mooshoo" pork with the little tortillas and it was quite tasty. :rolleyes:

Shortly after it opened, I went to the Laguna Center Chinese place, took one look at the warming trays and decided against it. Maybe it tastes better than it looks.

Guest RevImmigrant

"You're quite right about the onions and such.....not very authentic, but sometimes the urge for any old Chinesey food is strong enough to overlook the flaws. We had dinner there last night: I had the "mooshoo" pork with the little tortillas and it was quite tasty. :rolleyes:

Shortly after it opened, I went to the Laguna Center Chinese place, took one look at the warming trays and decided against it. Maybe it tastes better than it looks.

Gringal, trust me, it doesn't.

The Mu Shu pork at Roberto's is about the best Chinese dish on the menu and is good. That chef also leaves out chiles in the Sichuan fish and the other Sichuan dish so it's not really hot and spicy the way they should be. I have a great recipe for Sichuan boiled beef; I found it on the internet, but it's the same dish I had at the Tian Fu Restaurant just before I left Berlin, although I ordered it with pork at the Tian Fu. Let me know if you want it and I will send it to you. It's delicious and very authentic (also not at all difficul

Archived