Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Tango2 + Hole in one.

julia

Sorry to see that the Hole In One is closed. Despite the negative threads on here I never stopped going to the Hole in one and never got sick. So CONGRATS to the person who SAID they got sick at the Hole in one.

However there could be a positive side to the closing. I hope we can get finally number 2 Ajijic Tango. If Ajijic Tango created Ajijic Tango 2 in the Hole in one location, people would no longer be waiting over an hour for sitting,have plenty of parking space, have enough room between tables so you dont want to voice your opinion on the conversation just inches away from you.

I would still be able to enjoy both fantastic views of the Hole in One while eating and having the excellent service that Ajijic Tango offers. The only down point for me is that I would now be in the same restaurant many times per week. The other down point would be how many more restaurants would close if it actually happened.

The irresponsible comments are from both of you. It is absolutely ludicrous to think that the post on someone getting sick is responsible for the closing of the Hole in One. You both overestimate the power of this webforum - which many many local expats do not read. And your accusations are based on your opinion, as neither one of you talked to the owner to determine why the Hole in One closed.

Moderator - you should delete this thread.

Guest petirroja

He was a treasure. I haven't heard a word about where he is. There were rumors he was going to cooking school in Spain this month. But who knows.

A friend saw him about a week ago, cooking at Number Four again....

I'm glad to hear he us working, but sad to hear it's at a restaurant that (over)charges so much. Virtually anywhere else in lakeside, and we would be delighted to have a meal even partially prepared by Eric.

I wish him well.

Also my sentiments, Jeannine. We might go to 4 for a treat at some point (but haven't yet) but find we have many other restaurants that are more affordable that we enjoy immensely that we have not gotten into going to 4. I am glad he is working. Wonder what happened to cooking school in Spain. I think you had to be chosen and his hopes were high he would be.

Also my sentiments, Jeannine. We might go to 4 for a treat at some point (but haven't yet) but find we have many other restaurants that are more affordable that we enjoy immensely that we have not gotten into going to 4. I am glad he is working. Wonder what happened to cooking school in Spain. I think you had to be chosen and his hopes were high he would be.

He WAS chosen - LAST year. He told us directly two slightly different stories.

1. He didn't have the money to cover his airfare and expenses.

2. He was doing "too good" at Hole in One to walk away.

Shame - that sounded like a once in a lifetime opportunity for a chef. Especially one with so much native, bare talent as Eric.

He WAS chosen - LAST year. He told us directly two slightly different stories.

1. He didn't have the money to cover his airfare and expenses.

2. He was doing "too good" at Hole in One to walk away.

Shame - that sounded like a once in a lifetime opportunity for a chef. Especially one with so much native, bare talent as Eric.

Sorry to hear that. I didn't know.

I think that one should realize that Kim and her partners have made a substantial investment in renovation the building and furnishing Number 4. Yes, the food many be a bit more than at other good places but it a different dining experience. Also, apparently no one else was willing to hire a chef with Eric's talents. So please, give credit where credit is due.

The idea that reporting poor service, food or ambiance at a restaurant 'causes' them to fail is akin to blaming the people here who point out local violence and saying they are the cause of the violence. I knew a great many people who had already, on their own, noted the quality and value at hole in one had fallen off. We live fairly close by and most local gringos supported it up front and most drifted away for health, value and other reasons. THAT'S the cause of their loss in clientele. This is a small community and one main topic of conversation locally among ex pats is restaurants... what's written here is at the tail end of the information cycle, not the cause of it.

When I see any business that I feel is an asset to the community get bad reviews I try to go out of my way to point it out to the owners. After that it's up to them to correct things or not. Usually when a business does not see critique as something good to be acted on they won't last long anyway, especially in the food service business. My understanding from many people is the folks at hole in one were well aware of the problems and made their choices.

I think that one should realize that Kim and her partners have made a substantial investment in renovation the building and furnishing Number 4. Yes, the food many be a bit more than at other good places but it a different dining experience. Also, apparently no one else was willing to hire a chef with Eric's talents. So please, give credit where credit is due.

That's fair. But I see a menu that is charging A LOT more than other restaurants in town with fine service, excellent and consistent food and good levels of ambience.

But what really Is the deal killer for me is the wine list. A 4X or 5X markup on a bottle is not something I'm willing to pay - not NOB, SOB or anyplace else that we've visited. It's not the money so much as the principle of the thing.

Kim and partners seem to think that Canadian/U.S. prices will fly here. That's why I'll never go back. But I have to ask: they've survived this long; there must a reason, unless they just keep pouring money into the place.

I have a small circle of acquaintances with lots of money living here, and they seem to love it, but to them price is no object.

Kim and partners seem to think that Canadian/U.S. prices will fly here. That's why I'll never go back. But I have to ask: they've survived this long; there must a reason, unless they just keep pouring money into the place.

I have a small circle of acquaintances with lots of money living here, and they seem to love it, but to them price is no object.

Some folks with the bucks don't care what they pay, as long as they're being seen in the "right" places, and #4 appears to have accomplished that image.

The value conscious diner doesn't give a fig about it.

It remains to be seen how long the image factor trumps all other considerations.

Some folks with the bucks don't care what they pay, as long as they're being seen in the "right" places, and #4 appears to have accomplished that image.

The value conscious diner doesn't give a fig about it.

It remains to be seen how long the image factor trumps all other considerations.

I think that you are being unfairly judgmental. My wife and I are very private people and I assure you that we don't give a fig about what people think of where we live, what we drive, or where we dine.

I agree with Jeanette on the wine mark-up.- it's annoying.

I'd actually take it one step farther, and say that kind of wine markup is arrogant. Which also makes me stay away from a restaurant.

Slightly OT: We live in Phoenix, which has the restaurant that serves the "best pizza in the country", Pizzaria Bianco. (The link is to their wiki entry - and makes interesting reading.)

One of Jay's favorite food groups is pizza. Yet, we've never gone to Bianco's. Why? Because Bianco ups the wine prices by 4-5X. Because he doesn't take reservations, but invites you to wait in the bar for 2-3 hours until you get a table. (You can que up outside the restaurant at 4PM to get admitted about 1.5 hours later.

He thinks that's all okay, and he's very successful. Kudo's to him. But like I said, to me, it's arrogance and I prefer spending my time, money and eating pleasure elsewhere.

I think that you are being unfairly judgmental. My wife and I are very private people and I assure you that we don't give a fig about what people think of where we live, what we drive, or where we dine.

As in any judgment: it's a generalization and there are always exceptions. I admit to being opinionated. So shoot me. :rolleyes:

However; Number Four does not have the reputation of being the best restaurant in the area, based on the food itself. With all the other good restaurants in town that aren't gouging their customers on the liquor, why would you want to patronize one that does? That only encourages them in their policies.

I went there with a group of friends early in the year with the intention of having drinks and going on to the dining room a little later. After getting the bill for drinks, we paid and went elsewhere for dinner. None of us have ever returned. That's eight lost customers in one swoop. I think the owner needs to think this through.

I'm not sure what this thread is about any more, but I'm in the mood to chime in.

Sorry that Hole in One didn't make it, but not really surprised, I guess. Don't remember who upthread posted/suggested that perhaps it didn't make it because it only appealed to ex-pats. Baloney. The times I ate there Mexicans far outnumbered foreigners. (But then I eat during Mexcian hours.) As for Erik, he's a talented kid and will make his way in the restaurant world if that's what he wants to do.

Regarding Number 4. I've mostly avoided this place specifically because I don't enjoy "the scene". That said, the handful of meals I've had there have been light years ahead of any other restaurant in this area. There is nowhere else currently that even comes close to it with regard to food quality and preparation. And it's not as if there's a shortage of horrible-to-mediocre (plus cheaper) restaurants in the area. Eat at those if you prefer. Here in Hooterville there is only one place that executes a menu like Number 4 and I applaud them.

And I don't care what they charge for a glass of wine. In fact, I have my own personal theory about their inflated wine and liquor prices. :o

I'm not sure what this thread is about any more, but I'm in the mood to chime in.

Sorry that Hole in One didn't make it, but not really surprised, I guess. Don't remember who upthread posted/suggested that perhaps it didn't make it because it only appealed to ex-pats. Baloney. The times I ate there Mexicans far outnumbered foreigners. (But then I eat during Mexcian hours.) As for Erik, he's a talented kid and will make his way in the restaurant world if that's what he wants to do.

Regarding Number 4. I've mostly avoided this place specifically because I don't enjoy "the scene". That said, the handful of meals I've had there have been light years ahead of any other restaurant in this area. There is nowhere else currently that even comes close to it with regard to food quality and preparation. And it's not as if there's a shortage of horrible-to-mediocre (plus cheaper) restaurants in the area. Eat at those if you prefer. Here in Hooterville there is only one place that executes a menu like Number 4 and I applaud them.

And I don't care what they charge for a glass of wine. In fact, I have my own personal theory about their inflated wine and liquor prices. :o

I respect your opinions on restaurant food, Travis, but when did you last eat there, and what did you have that was "light years" from anywhere else in the area? Plus, how about sharing your theory about the inflated wine and liquor prices.......that was a teaser!

Archived