Chapala.com Webboard

Royal Palm Trees

purplebeads

I have been searching all over the web and cannot find a source which will tell me how long Royal Palms live. I realize there are many types of palms and even different species of Royal Palms but a ball park figure would be fine. I saw answers from 12 yrs to 120 yrs. I know they generally grow a foot a year.

I have been searching all over the web and cannot find a source which will tell me how long Royal Palms live. I realize there are many types of palms and even different species of Royal Palms but a ball park figure would be fine. I saw answers from 12 yrs to 120 yrs. I know they generally grow a foot a year.

From answer .com

Improve

a royal palm tree can live between 12 and 15 years

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_a_royal_palm_tree_live#ixzz1XmGT4Nui

The Royal Palm in this area is usually the Cuban Royal Palm roystonia regia. I have two that have been planted for about seven years and are about 15' tall. They grow to approximately 60', so I would say mine have many years of life left. I'm guessing their life span is 50 yrs or more.

Roystonea is a genus of large, unarmed, single-stemmed palms with pinnate leaves. The large stature and striking appearance of a Roystonea palm makes it a notable aspect of the landscape. The stems, which were compared to stone columns by Louis and Elizabeth Agassiz in 1868, are smooth and columnar, although the trunks of R. altissima and R. maisiana are more slender than those of typical royal palms. Stems often are swollen and bulging along portions of their length, which may reflect years where growing conditions were better or worse than average. Leaf scars are often prominent along the stem, especially in young, rapidly growing individuals. Stem color ranges from gray-white to gray-brown except in R. violacea, which have violet-brown or mauve stems. The largest royal palm, R. oleracea, reaches heights of 40 metres (130 ft), but most species are in the 15 to 20 m (49 to 66 ft) range.[2]

Close up of crown of Roystonea regia showing smooth tapering leaf sheath and fresh leaf scars, Kolkata, India

local race track in Halandale Florida has them 60' - 80' that were planted when the track opened .....after recent hurricanes they needed to replace a few dead and the problems were finding replacements to match .....seems they live about 60+ years and the survivors were at the end of their lifespan ..... planted 40' ....do NOT park under them as they are "self cleaning" and the falling fronds WILL dent your car ....or you

local race track in Halandale Florida has them 60' - 80' that were planted when the track opened .....after recent hurricanes they needed to replace a few dead and the problems were finding replacements to match .....seems they live about 60+ years and the survivors were at the end of their lifespan ..... planted 40' ....do NOT park under them as they are "self cleaning" and the falling fronds WILL dent your car ....or you

Thanks for the information. I know about the falling fronds. Ripped a hole in our ONE day old pool cover.

Archived