Chapala.com Webboard

Winter getting here early, climate change?

navyvet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning there was a sheet of ice on the windhield this morning and it's been very cold several days. That usually does not happen until december. I hope that does not become the norm.

where the heck are you? I know it was cool this morning about 66 inside my house, but ice on your windshield? Holy crap!!

At 6a.m. it was 55F in Brisas de Chapala. Carol was ready to start a fire. I changed my dress code from tank top to short sleeves and retired the dress whites for the season.

We left an outdoor drinks party last night around 7:30 because my husband was cold in shirtsleeves and shorts and closed toe shoes. This morning we were dressed in jeans, tennis shoes and sweat shirts. Time to being some of the wood pile closer to the house. Daily fires are in our future.

My statement was "kind of" light hearted because my wife calls toluca the coldest place in mexico both for the weather and the attitudes of the people, she is from here along with most of my inlaws. I know that does not translate on the forum.:) My family is from further north, guanajuato and that area. Chihuahua is also cold, they get some good snows. I had some pictures of a big snow in chihuahua but buy my storage drive went under.

So you are correct toluca is not actually THE coldest, but when you get below zero and have ice (like it is now) in mexico it's pretty academic.

Just ran across an article on Jalisco Climate Change - http://www.elsonido1...cia.asp?id=1216

Drought, soil erosion and water shortages are just some of the effects of climate change in Jalisco, that make this state one of

five most vulnerable in the country...................

On the Semarnat Website, they have graphs on expected precipitation, as well as vulnerability - http://www2.ine.gob....ne_jalisco.html

And what we just went through was cold front # 1 earlier this week - http://universitam.c...emicos/?p=11614

Changes in the pattern of atmospheric circulation in the COUNTRY,

COLD FRONT # 1 ON THE NORTHEAST AND THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAIN IN THE SOUTHEAST OF MEXICO.

Hopefully Nate's leftovers will warm things up a bit Monday - but feels warmer already

I thought Al Gore was warning us about Global Warming..

;)

That's just happening in the US - rolleyes.gifhttp://www.scienceda...10910134446.htm

Excessive heat in six states -- Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana -- resulted in their warmest August on record. This year ranked in the top ten warmest August for five other states: Florida (3rd), Georgia (4th), Utah (5th), Wyoming (8th), and South
Carolina (9th).The Southwest and South also had their warmest August on record

Plus they obviously took all the rain!!!

I thought Al Gore was warning us about Global Warming..

;)

Global Warming causes both summer and winter weather to be more extreme. Summers can be hotter, winters colder as well as causing different types of weather changes worldwide. We've seen a years of extreme weather changes in all seasons.

There's a difference between climate and weather.

Wasn't it just about 700 years ago that climate change and drought decimated whole civilizations in North America, causing sudden crop failures, famine, rapid population decline and migration of the survivors?

Yes RV that is correct. It had profound impacts on the native American populations in New Mexico. Most of the smaller rivers they lived on dried up and they suffered major population loss and had to migrate to the Rio Grande to find the one river that usually had some water in it.

As for more drastic variation in climate, if you look at the historical record, it is recent times that the climate has been less variable and that was an anomaly. We seem to be returning to more variable times.

• 2 months later...

Contrary to what some seem to believe, 'Global Warming' does not mean that you will necessarily have warmer weather. It simply means that the average temperature of the planet is increasing at a rather alarming rate. This causes more violent and variable weather, as has been noticed with the increased intensity of cyclones, hurricanes and tornadoes in the last several years. As this continues, it will affect crops worldwide (it has already begun) and even the habitability of many places; especially coastal cities. A rapid increase in the rate of warming can cause the extinction of plants and animals, including humans.

Does the search for other inhabitable planets make you feel all warm and fuzzy or just complacent?

Except that global average temperature has stopped increasing.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/07/04/a-peer-reviewed-admission-that-global-surface-temperatures-did-not-rise-dr-david-whitehouse-on-the-pnas-paper-kaufmann-et-al-2011/

The Russians have said all along that it is about a long period of high sunspot activity that has now ended and we can expect falling temperatures. Not sure whose right here but it should be obvious to any impartial observer that global warming is far from an established fact. And global climate change is the only established fact there is on this topic, since it has been going on for as long as this planet has had a climate.

Frankly, I think social and economic collapse followed by population collapse is going to happen a whole lot sooner than any dire weather event. There are far too many people on this planet burning through non renewable resources on which the unsustainable planetary population depends. Just as one example, take a look at how much fossil energy it takes to sustain the current planetary agricultural regime which in turn has allowed planetary population to reach 7 billion. And ask yourself just how long this can continue.

I'm glad I'm not a young person facing a future of decline and chaos.

Except that global average temperature has stopped increasing.

http://wattsupwithth...ann-et-al-2011/

The Russians have said all along that it is about a long period of high sunspot activity that has now ended and we can expect falling temperatures. Not sure whose right here but it should be obvious to any impartial observer that global warming is far from an established fact. And global climate change is the only established fact there is on this topic, since it has been going on for as long as this planet has had a climate.

Frankly, I think social and economic collapse followed by population collapse is going to happen a whole lot sooner than any dire weather event. There are far too many people on this planet burning through non renewable resources on which the unsustainable planetary population depends. Just as one example, take a look at how much fossil energy it takes to sustain the current planetary agricultural regime which in turn has allowed planetary population to reach 7 billion. And ask yourself just how long this can continue.

I'm glad I'm not a young person facing a future of decline and chaos.

Information like that in the link is nonsense according to most experts. 2011 may well be be the warmest year ever.

It was a peer reviewed study. Which I notice you don't back your "nonsense" claim up against. While you're at it, perhaps you'd like to explain the latest email exposure of "scientists" cooking the science to try and keep the global warming fantasy alive. That bunch is more than a few of your "experts." Seems they are particularly expert at politicizing science instead of practicing scientific impartiality and skepticism.

Until recently, global temperatures were more than a degree Fahrenheit warmer when compared to the overall 20th Century mean. From August of 2007 through February of 2008, the Earth’s mean reading dropped to near the 200-year average temperature of 57 degrees. Since that time, the mean reading has been fluctuating. (See Long-Term Chart Below.)

We, Cliff Harris and Randy Mann, believe that the warming and even the cooling of global temperatures are the result of long-term climatic cycles, solar activity, sea-surface temperature patterns and more. However, Mankind’s activities of the burning of fossil fuels, massive deforestations, the replacing of grassy surfaces with asphalt and concrete, the ‘Urban Heat Island Effect,’ are making conditions ‘worse’ and this will ultimately enhance the Earth’s warming process down the meteorological roadway in the next several decades.

Note that the "solution" of getting rid of everyone's cars and shutting down all the coal fired power plants doesn't take all those other factors like deforestation, paving and urbanization into effect. What would you do about these?

Interesting chart at the bottom of this reference. Sure don't want another one of those mini ice ages, let alone one of the big ones. Cold kills a lot more folks than warmth.

I'll go for the warm phases, thanks. :)

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

Archived