Chapala.com Webboard

Warning

vanderleelie44

[quote name='

Hurricane season?

Nope violent crime, purse snatching and theft from cars, luggage and passports.

Violent crime remains a serious concern in Florida. Criminals have demonstrated that they will use violence with little or no provocation. Many attacks have occurred in the Miami area, and others have taken place on rural roads and at interstate highway rest areas. Some rest areas have dusk-to-dawn security on site (which is indicated on the highway sign). Proceed cautiously when exiting a freeway (including Interstate 95) into large urban centres, especially after dusk. Theft has increased, particularly from trunks of parked cars in the North Miami Beach area, South Beach and at airports. Be alert, as criminals use a variety of techniques to steal personal belongings.

Passport theft is on the rise in the United States. Travellers should ensure that their travel documents are secure at all times.

End quote.

The fierce denials of danger from those living in Mexico and desperate need to survive in such a violent culture is quite heart wrenching. But anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of cognitive dissonance theory can certainly comprehend such a defense mechanism. Put simply whenever we make an investment (monetary or otherwise) in our lives we tend to select only those facts that confirm our initial biases. Thus (to those of us who know Mexico quite well but don't live there currently) our absolute disbelief as we read the rationalizations for the violence of those who live there and their minimizing the seriousness of living in a mostly failed state. And any of us who can easily see the futility of their positions would feel the same way and make the same arguments for life in Mexico if we were presently living there. But it is not just the drug violence; it is the culture of violence and impunity that the drug violence has visited on the rest of the culture. The increase in robberies, the assaults of those living there as ex- pats, and the shrugging off and minimizing such acts with a similar denial or 'dissociative process' generally reserved for other survivors of living in an environment of deep cumulative stressors and unsafe core parameters. All we can do is hope people stay safe, but safety is a matter of luck right now- there is little authority to protect anyone if criminals- cartel or otherwise decide to infiltrate your communities. You have gone from saying you are 'living in paradise' to 'living in a place where anything can happen' (but at least the weather is good); to 'living in a war zone where at least most of the killings are criminals'. (And yes, the weather is still good.)

Hope you're not living in Florida, you too could have cognitive dissonance.

I never understand why these type of statistic comparisons even have legs. Its the evident lawlessness of Mexico which is the concern, not the number of deaths. I can always find a statistic to prove my point, but between the Americas only Mexico shows that lawlessness is cultural.

It took Columbia 3 generations to see some change in that attitude.

The fierce denials of danger from those living in Mexico and desperate need to survive in such a violent culture is quite heart wrenching. But anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of cognitive dissonance theory can certainly comprehend such a defense mechanism. Put simply whenever we make an investment (monetary or otherwise) in our lives we tend to select only those facts that confirm our initial biases. Thus (to those of us who know Mexico quite well but don't live there currently) our absolute disbelief as we read the rationalizations for the violence of those who live there and their minimizing the seriousness of living in a mostly failed state. And any of us who can easily see the futility of their positions would feel the same way and make the same arguments for life in Mexico if we were presently living there. But it is not just the drug violence; it is the culture of violence and impunity that the drug violence has visited on the rest of the culture. The increase in robberies, the assaults of those living there as ex- pats, and the shrugging off and minimizing such acts with a similar denial or 'dissociative process' generally reserved for other survivors of living in an environment of deep cumulative stressors and unsafe core parameters. All we can do is hope people stay safe, but safety is a matter of luck right now- there is little authority to protect anyone if criminals- cartel or otherwise decide to infiltrate your communities. You have gone from saying you are 'living in paradise' to 'living in a place where anything can happen' (but at least the weather is good); to 'living in a war zone where at least most of the killings are criminals'. (And yes, the weather is still good.)

You may suggest cognitive dissonance, but more likely we stay because of rational egoism. In other words, whatever works for us. This doesn't mean we're at all blind to what's going on, but we certainly hope that it won't reach us... any more than I hoped in my home town in Canada that the violence all around me wouldn't grow enough to affect me. Tell me the other choices available to most of us; certainly, uprooting our lives is only an option of last resort.

It's objectivism through and through. And it works for me.

The sound of bubbles bursting. How anyone can claim only 1% of the dearhs are innocent civillians is beyond me.

Porque somos nacos, buey, y no podemos hablar Esp. buey..

I say that as a friend who never learned how to spell in Esp.. Here in Ajijic, where I live maybe 8 months of the year, we English speakers don't have to learn Spanish, so most of us don't, so we only learn what we are fed in English. I learn the truth from my Spanish speaking friends which is often much different than what I learn in English.

Sorry for the street Spanish but that's all I know, buey :)

Bingo nail on the head Johanson and good for you on getting it from friends. I think people should be aware of what's ACTUALLY going on around them whatever their reaction may be. Not worried, absolutely fine, just be aware and I agree with you 100% you cannot rely on english to get the real story.

Just as a side note, the word used is guey (pronounced way). The original word is buey, which is ox, and it has been changed to guey which has a totally different meaning. :)

I want to make clear, before I get hammered, I am NOT saying all spanish only speakers are clueless. In fact some are very involved and up on things, but it's very easy to miss out on what is actually going on unless you really try to get at it and not rely on english sources.

The fierce denials of danger from those living in Mexico

I have never heard any person I know living in Mexico deny there is danger. I know a lot of people who do not live here who are obsessed with writing/talking about crime in Mexico. What I am curious about is: what you hope to achieve with your post?

I am sorry... I have difficulty with spelling and grammar... always have. I am a little intimidated to respond to your post, but I am sincerly interested.

Excellent post

This reminds me a little of the period when I was considering getting a motorcycle (I now have 3). Many of my friends and family thought I had taken leave of my senses, while others, esp those who had had the experience, understood my choice.

The issue is not so much about risk, but about risk tolerance. Like pain, some people have a different threshold than others. I choose to ride my motorcycle while acknowledging the risks, and I choose to move to Mexico.

Archived