Chapala.com Webboard

Warning

vanderleelie44

B) Most of the expats I know are adventurous types!

Summertime in Chicago is a delight!

Vegas is practically on sale now. . . Fabulous. . Shopping!

Quebec city in the Fall. . .unbelievable.

But, to each his own.

patti

I just sent my sister and daughter that story on NYC.

I was with a customer in Chicago about 15 years ago. He was driving us across town to another plant. He would ease up to a red light, look both ways and run it. After about the third, I said "Aren't you afraid of getting a ticket?" His reply was "The cops don't come down here and no one stops for lights".

I've never felt afraid in MX and never felt safe in Chicago.

After the continuous news we get about how dangerous Mexico is

it is worth noting the following;

This past long weekend

Nevada 3 people shot

New York City 67 people shot

Chicago 3 people shot

Canada had their shootings too!

Before you travel NOB .... be careful!

As a posted wrote in another thread who didn't like any mention of crime in the U.S., "Why don't you go there and eat a hot dog." Now, how does that make you feel? Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

After the continuous news we get about how dangerous Mexico is

it is worth noting the following;

This past long weekend

Nevada 3 people shot

New York City 67 people shot

Chicago 3 people shot

Canada had their shootings too!

Before you travel NOB .... be careful!

Actually it was more than 3 in NV those were just the Carson City incidents, 11 were shot in Carson 3 dead plus the shooter and two more in downtown Reno as well. My friends here keep warning me about Mexico, it is no picnic here either...

Actually it was more than 3 in NV those were just the Carson City incidents, 11 were shot in Carson 3 dead plus the shooter and two more in downtown Reno as well. My friends here keep warning me about Mexico, it is no picnic here either...

Not Bad only 42000 have been killed last 4 years right here in Safe Mexico

Not Bad only 42000 have been killed last 4 years right here in Safe Mexico

99% of those are drug gangs killing off other drug gangs, not random crime like in the U.S. Stay away from the drug business and you shouldn't have any problems in Mexico. In the U.S. from 2006 to 2009, 65,642 people were murdered and that was without drug cartels killing each other off.

http://www.disasterc...ime/uscrime.htm

99% of those are drug gangs killing off other drug gangs, not random crime like in the U.S. Stay away from the drug business and you shouldn't have any problems in Mexico. In the U.S. from 2006 to 2009, 65,642 people were murdered and that was without drug cartels killing each other off.

Where did you get your information that the killings wasn't drug related?

Where did you get your information that the killings wasn't drug related?

In Mexico the majority of murders have been drug related. I'm sure some murders in the U.S. are associated with drugs but not like in Mexico. I'm certainly not going to research the reasons why people were murdered in the U.S. for you.

I accidentally found this site "Presidencia De La Republica" Deaths database:

http://www.presidencia.gob.mx/base-de-datos-de-fallecimientos/

The US and Mexico are very different populations (US=approx 307,000,000, Mex=approx 112,000,000)

The way that statistics make sense is to compare apples to apples, the crime RATE, not the actual numbers. Crime stats are often expressed in rates per 100,000 population. Using the above numbers, here are the crime rates per 100,000 for the US and Mexico.

Over 4 years (2006-2009) 65,642 people were murdered in the US, and 42,000 were murdered in Mexico.

So, that's an average of 16,410 murders per year in the US and 10,500 murders per year in Mexico.

Calculating the rate per 100,000 for each country:

5.34 murders in the US per 100,000 people per year during those 4 years

9.38 murders in Mexico per 100,000 people per year during those 4 years

The rate of murders is much higher in Mexico than in the US for that period of time using the numbers provided.

In case you want to do the math:

Divide the population by 100,000 (=a)

Divide the number of murders by "a" to get the rate per 100,000

The US and Mexico are very different populations (US=approx 307,000,000, Mex=approx 112,000,000)

The way that statistics make sense is to compare apples to apples, the crime RATE, not the actual numbers. Crime stats are often expressed in rates per 100,000 population. Using the above numbers, here are the crime rates per 100,000 for the US and Mexico.

Over 4 years (2006-2009) 65,642 people were murdered in the US, and 42,000 were murdered in Mexico.

So, that's an average of 16,410 murders per year in the US and 10,500 murders per year in Mexico.

Calculating the rate per 100,000 for each country:

5.34 murders in the US per 100,000 people per year during those 4 years

9.38 murders in Mexico per 100,000 people per year during those 4 years

The rate of murders is much higher in Mexico than in the US for that period of time using the numbers provided.

In case you want to do the math:

Divide the population by 100,000 (=a)

Divide the number of murders by "a" to get the rate per 100,000

Thank you for teaching me how to do arithmetic.

The point was that almost all violent crime in Mexico is drug related. Drug gangs killing off other drug gangs for territory. Crime in the U.S. is more random and anyone can be killed. I'd rather be where one group is targeting another group than where I can be killed just because I'm there.

• 3 weeks later...

The fierce denials of danger from those living in Mexico and desperate need to survive in such a violent culture is quite heart wrenching. But anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of cognitive dissonance theory can certainly comprehend such a defense mechanism. Put simply whenever we make an investment (monetary or otherwise) in our lives we tend to select only those facts that confirm our initial biases. Thus (to those of us who know Mexico quite well but don't live there currently) our absolute disbelief as we read the rationalizations for the violence of those who live there and their minimizing the seriousness of living in a mostly failed state. And any of us who can easily see the futility of their positions would feel the same way and make the same arguments for life in Mexico if we were presently living there. But it is not just the drug violence; it is the culture of violence and impunity that the drug violence has visited on the rest of the culture. The increase in robberies, the assaults of those living there as ex- pats, and the shrugging off and minimizing such acts with a similar denial or 'dissociative process' generally reserved for other survivors of living in an environment of deep cumulative stressors and unsafe core parameters. All we can do is hope people stay safe, but safety is a matter of luck right now- there is little authority to protect anyone if criminals- cartel or otherwise decide to infiltrate your communities. You have gone from saying you are 'living in paradise' to 'living in a place where anything can happen' (but at least the weather is good); to 'living in a war zone where at least most of the killings are criminals'. (And yes, the weather is still good.)

IMO, you would have to have been living underground with no communications for the last several years to be unaware that there is trouble in Mexico.

Looking at this situation from the darkest possible angle, we have exactly two choices: (1) Stay and live with it, blinders or not, or (2) Pick up and leave to go somewhere we feel more secure.

It does not take a doctoral degree in psychology to arrive at that conclusion..

Of course the weather is good. It's also good in many other places.

Archived