Chapala.com Webboard

legalization of automobiles

gypsyken

My U.S titled and registered automobile has been in Mexico for several years under a temporary importation permit that remains legal because of my No Inmigrante (FM3) immigration permit. As it has not been to the U.S. for several years, its U.S. registration and plates (tags) are long expired. Inasmuch as I have no intention of returning it to the U.S., I would like information on how much it might cost to title and register it in Mexico. I googled Customs Brokers in Guadalajara, e-mailed the only one that provided an e-mail address, which had been mentioned in an article in the Reporter some time ago, and received no answer. I would prefer not having to go to the Guadalajara airport, where the Reporter article said that brokers have their offices, and go door to door looking for one, and a search for this topic on this webboard yielded no results, so any information on it would be appreciated. (I've only been told by other expats that the process is "expensive.") In addition, are there any disadvantages to titling and registering in Mexico if I should have to drive the car the U.S.? (I have a Jalisco drivers license, which I've found is not an impediment to renting a car in the U.S.)

Plan on spending $2,000US. If not worth it then junk car or take it back or continue until it dies.

Doesn't matter, all the same and may be very different soon. Not sure of your question, though.

Question is are you treated the same if you have an FM2 and then what happens when you become an immigrante after 5 yrs,?

You don't have an FM2, you are probably 'Inmigrante' now. Look at your INM credencial.

The new status, which will replace 'inmigrado' (not inmigrante), will be 'residente permanente. It appears that the life of the various visas will change from five to four years.

At present, 'inmigrado' may not keep a foreign plated car. My assumption would be that the same rule may apply to a 'residente permanente'.

Most FM3 can have foreign plated cars as well as FM2 rentistas. Inmigrados cannot so they would have to nationalize or return them to the US, let's wait and see what the new immigration regulations and aduana rules are as they are changing soon.

If you didn't get a sticker you car is here illegally. Best to get a sticker online, sent to a US address and then sent back down to you in Mexico ASAP.

Odd how you got through the check point with no sticker but then again look closely. You will see numerous cars with US plates driven by Mexicans and no sticker. I also know Mexicans bring in convoys of upwards to 15 at a time and never get a sticker, then re-sell. Not saying it is legal just that there are tens of thousands of cars with US plates and no stickers. Go to the big car sales at the various markets and you will find them. Some may even be with the front of the vehicle on jacks while the catalytic muffler is removed with cutting torch and a straight pipe installed as seen every week here in San Miguel. Viva Mexico.

I appreciate the estimate of a cost of at least $2,000, but I would still like to know the name of a customs broker from whom I might obtain more precise information and with whom I might proceed with the process if I decided to do so. Has anyone reading this webboard actually had a car legalized? If so, how did you proceed to do that? Did you then experience any difficulty if you drove the car back into the U.S.?

In addition, my understanding is that one cannot simply let a car "die" here (which I am not considering doing) but must, if necessary, have it towed back to the U.S. in order to return the temporary import permit and have it cancelled. Otherwise, I understand, the temporary import permit for the "dead" car will remain in Aduana's records, and you would be unable to bring another vehicle into Mexico.

Ken,

We share your dilemma, also having a US plated car, but having the additional problem of it being a Japanese built car. We would like to keep it forever, but changing our INM status will probably put us in need of a trip to the border to sell it for peanuts.

In your case, you might find it less expensive and certainly less hassle to do the same. Just drive it to the USA, sell it to CarMax if you have to, and buy your next car here. Take a book to read on the bus/plane trip back to GDL.

We also have an Jalisco plated car and there is no problem driving it to the USA. In fact, it is less trouble than with the US plated car and its need for paperwork, sticker and fees. We just drive through with our Jalisco plates, in either direction.

Ken,

We share your dilemma, also having a US plated car, but having the additional problem of it being a Japanese built car. We would like to keep it forever, but changing our INM status will probably put us in need of a trip to the border to sell it for peanuts.

In your case, you might find it less expensive and certainly less hassle to do the same. Just drive it to the USA, sell it to CarMax if you have to, and buy your next car here. Take a book to read on the bus/plane trip back to GDL.

We also have an Jalisco plated car and there is no problem driving it to the USA. In fact, it is less trouble than with the US plated car and its need for paperwork, sticker and fees. We just drive through with our Jalisco plates, in either direction.

RV,

Are you able to get collision/comp coverage on that Jalisco plated car when you are in the US? Several years ago our agent in Riberas said they could only write liability. When I asked her what about all the Mexicans that drive newer cars to Texas, etc. and she replied they only had liability and that only 1 out of 100 realized it! When renewing my Texas license a few months ago I showed one of the DPS employees my Jalisco license and asked if it was legal to drive on it while in Texas. The answer was no, but that each officer has the ability to decide whether to issue a ticket or not. My guess is foreign plated car, no ticket, US plated car, ticket. The employee did not want to discuss it further.

RV,

Are you able to get collision/comp coverage on that Jalisco plated car when you are in the US? Several years ago our agent in Riberas said they could only write liability. When I asked her what about all the Mexicans that drive newer cars to Texas, etc. and she replied they only had liability and that only 1 out of 100 realized it! When renewing my Texas license a few months ago I showed one of the DPS employees my Jalisco license and asked if it was legal to drive on it while in Texas. The answer was no, but that each officer has the ability to decide whether to issue a ticket or not. My guess is foreign plated car, no ticket, US plated car, ticket. The employee did not want to discuss it further.

PV, I would say that your guess is erroneous. I have often driven a car with Mexican plates in Texas (with a Mexican driver's license) and also a US-plated car (with the same Mexican driver's license).

I would also say that the person in Texas who told you that it was illegal to drive with a Mexican driver's license was also wrong. If that were the case, why would it be possible to rent a car in Texas and any other state with a Mexican driver's license? I've done that many times.

When driving into Texas with a Mexican-plated vehicle, the only insurance available has been liability.

I legalized my car, it is a 2003 VW, it is expensive, no cheap way around it also have done it for a few other people, expect $2,000 which represents the high average of $1,500 to $1,600US plus about $300US for plates, taxes and smog check. An article in the local Chapala magazine said a local non profit group was nationalizing cars for $25,000 pesos plus plates.

Maybe if your car is old it could be $100 or so less, that is the harsh reality and why 99% of people who call and ask then decide not to as it would be more than the price of the car. Remember too that some people will only nationalize for Mexican nationals and make you drive to the border as well as only do cars 10 years old and older. I´m living proof that isn´t the case. Also few importers speak English unless you call around at the border but then my aforementioned comments also apply.

Nationalization is not a remedy for a beater that won´t make it to the border or to cure other problems that the vasr majority of the people call my office about, also there have been delays with nationalizations recently, good luck!

Odd how you got through the check point with no sticker but then again look closely. You will see numerous cars with US plates driven by Mexicans and no sticker. I also know Mexicans bring in convoys of upwards to 15 at a time and never get a sticker, then re-sell. Not saying it is legal just that there are tens of thousands of cars with US plates and no stickers. Go to the big car sales at the various markets and you will find them. Some may even be with the front of the vehicle on jacks while the catalytic muffler is removed with cutting torch and a straight pipe installed as seen every week here in San Miguel. Viva Mexico.

There are a lot of "chocolates" (us cars here illegally) owned by mexican nationals, but there is always the chance of them being confiscated.

Intercasa, I was told by a brother in law that does these things on the side that the newest now is 7 years that can be nationalized. Is that not the case? We have a "chocolate", but it is 3 years old.

On the insurance:

Yes, we drove our Jalisco plated car in the USA with just liability insurance for the USA. It is a chance you take, but some of the comprehensive/collision coverage on your Mexican policy may apply. Ask your agent. Of course, if it does, it might only pay at Mexican repair rates, but that's OK if the car can make it back to Mexico.

Just drive carefully and hope that any accident is the other guy's fault, so that his insurance will pay. Your liability covers your faults, but won't replace your car in the event that you are at fault.

NAFTA governs unless modified and in 2011 you can nationalize 2003 and older, 2012 you can nationalize 2004 and older, 2013 you can nationalize 2005 and older, 2014 you can nationalize 2008 and older.

Archived