Chapala.com Webboard

Daniel's Restaurant

Cheapo

Had a fine dinner this week at Daniel's, which is in the huge building where The Naked Stage does their thing, on Rio Zula. Very impressive surroundings, with pillars and all. He is offering two for one meals the rest of August and all September. Applies to supper and lunch. Each main course comes with either a nice salad, tortilla soup, or something similar. My something similar was bruschetta, very nice made with fresh basil. I had the seafood platter (shrimp, scallops, fish) in a very tasty batter; my lady had a bass steamed in foil with cheese and spinach. Not a lot of scallops or shrimp, but a huge piece of bass.

Unsure of his hours, but I believe he's open til 8. You're not restricted to having the same dish each. So my fish came to 60 pesos, and hers to 45. He could use a spruce-up to his tablecloths to match the surroundings, but the equipale chairs are comfortable and he's a very sweet fellow. I'll be going back to try the fettucine.

Thanx for all that info. I'm gonna have to try this place as I live right around the corner, and the prices are sure right. Good to know of all the other good qualities the place has. I think there's artwork hanging on all the walls, too, right? B)

Thanx for all that info. I'm gonna have to try this place as I live right around the corner, and the prices are sure right. Good to know of all the other good qualities the place has. I think there's artwork hanging on all the walls, too, right? B)

Yes, you're right: he has tried to set it up as a gallery of sorts. I recognize some of the local artists. There's also a small display case of locally-designed jewellery. He's quite intent on making the place an upscale experience, although he's not quite there yet.

Yes, you're right: he has tried to set it up as a gallery of sorts. I recognize some of the local artists. There's also a small display case of locally-designed jewellery. He's quite intent on making the place an upscale experience, although he's not quite there yet.

A little unsure here. Is that the building where the Cafe des Artes (?) is/was or is it where the mail place is/was across the street?

A friend and I had lunch there yesterday. Daniel did not offer us two fer anything.

The food was ok. My chicken was not a good piece as it was gristly but the sauce was excellent. My friend loved her asparagus salad.

The service was excellent.

I would go back but am annoyed that we were not offered the special pricing so I will not put it high up on my list of places to eat.

The name of the place is San Pedro.

Daniel said today that he had staff who hadn't quite grasped the concept of his special, and he apologizes to any customers who weren't treated fairly. He said the staff has been straightened out on that. Whether this was an excuse or not, I don't know. He also said the special would continue throughout September, as he is quite pleased with the response for San Pedro restaurant.

Sally and I just returned from San Pedro after a very good meal. I ordered the fish and chips which had six or seven good sized fish fingers, a small amount but excellent home cut fries, and some creamy cole slaw along with tartar sauce and vinegar. (75 pesos) Sally had the chicken sandwich which had a nice piece of perfectly cooked chicken, avacado, lettuce, tomato, and onion, along with fries for $65. Both meals came with our choice of tortilla soup or vegetables and we opted for the soup which, as usual, was very tasty.

Cheapo was correct. Daniel confirmed that the response has been excellent to his two for one meals and has extended it to the end of September. If you order two meals of the same price, one is free. If two different prices, the lesser one is free. In our case, Sally's sandwich was no charge. Drinks are extra, as it should be.

San Pedro is open from 8:30 am to 8pm Tuesday through Saturday. Sundays, they are only open until 4pm and on Mondays they open at 4 pm. We find the food to be very good, prices fair, and Daniel an excellent host.

Daniel said today that he had staff who hadn't quite grasped the concept of his special, and he apologizes to any customers who weren't treated fairly. He said the staff has been straightened out on that. Whether this was an excuse or not, I don't know. He also said the special would continue throughout September, as he is quite pleased with the response for San Pedro restaurant.

POPPYCOCK!!!!!!! It was Daniel himself who served us and gave us the cuentas.

We ate at San Pedro's about 10 days ago (after the ad had been out regarding the 2 for 1). Daniel did not give us the discount but told us that if we came back within the month we could get the 2 for 1. We had eaten there before - earlier in the year - and were very happy with the food. Didn't think it was quite as good this time. Just our opinion. Daniel is very pleasant but we are not in a hurry to get back there to eat.

I'll make the same suggestions as when the coupon book was out. Order one meal to eat there and the second to take home to eat at another time. Or, go with a friend.

When we went to Robertos with a single friend they would not allow the single friend to take home a second meal. They said it was two for one with two people actually present to eat in the restaurant.

If you take home a meal then you are not ordering 2 drinks and the possibility of a desert or appetizer not to mention the other persons tip. Come on folks are we really that CODO! What the Mexicans call those who they consider Cheapskates. It is a very difficult time for most restaurants here, and we who partake of these "deals" are the beneficiaries.

If you take home a meal then you are not ordering 2 drinks and the possibility of a desert or appetizer not to mention the other persons tip. Come on folks are we really that CODO! What the Mexicans call those who they consider Cheapskates. It is a very difficult time for most restaurants here, and we who partake of these "deals" are the beneficiaries.

I agree with part of what you are saying, especially about being beneficiaries. And, some people are cheap. When I use a two for one special, and by myself, I always order two drinks, as if another person is with me, and tip on the entire amount of the bill the meal cost before the discount. The other day, our meal came to $168 pesos, before taking off for Sally's, and I left Daniel $20 pesos. That is proper etiquette. However, unless the advertised special says "eat-in only", there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking one or even both meals home. We use coupons all the time for Guad and most say "dine in only" and some say "dine-in or take out".

I believe you are also missing some very important points. The idea behind running these specials is to introduce the restaurant to new customers and get old ones to return. If the food is good, business will increase and the owner makes a lot more money in the long run, after the special has ended. And, if the restaurant is not on a main artery with great exposure, but on a side street like San Pedro, then it gets them new customers that might never have found the place otherwise. It is also a smart move in the fact Daniel, or any other owner, can keep track of how many two for ones were used, his increase in overall sales, etc. He can then compare the cost of his special to having ads in other media such as newspapers and magazines and see which is most cost effective.

How about those twofers at Roberto's on Thursdays and Fridays? Had some great dinners there last night with friends. Good food, live music and nice staff.

Tango's has their 55 peso lunches that draw a crowd.

Twofers bring in the curious new customers and please the old ones, too. The budget conscious are grateful and the waiters are happy.....as long as the diners show enough class to tip on the undiscounted bill total.

:020:

• 4 weeks later...

I have lived here 1 year and today was the first time I ate at Daniel's. MY BAD!! I had a breast of chicken with spinach and a cream sauce of mushroom, onion, and garlic. It was one of the best meals I have had since being here. What amazes me is that the place was empty. I for one will be a regular.

I saw OhioDan's comment this morning and while we were out today we decided to try Daniel's San Pedro Restaurant for lunch. We agree with all of the positive reviews - very enjoyable. A neighbor started to power-wash his wall across the road while we were eating and Daniel went out and asked the guy to stop until after we'd gone - which he did and appreciated Daniel's thoughtfulness.

Archived