Chapala.com Webboard

Renewing Canadian Passport & Drivers License

Sarita

Tried a search & got nada so am asking here. My Canadian passport & B.C. drivers license both expire this coming February on my birthday. Thought I should start the process or at least find out what it is. Can they both be renewed from here and what does it involve? Trip to Guad? Hiring a lawyer? Costs? Please tell me I don't have to go back to Canada to do either, I cringe at the thought! Gracias para la ayuda...

You can't renew your BC driver's license here you have to return to BC to do it. You can renew your Canadian passport once in Mexico but I don't know how. Here is a blog about it http://livinglakechapala.com/blog/renewing-canadian-passports-in-ajijic-lake-chapala-mexico/

Tried a search & got nada so am asking here. My Canadian passport & B.C. drivers license both expire this coming February on my birthday. Thought I should start the process or at least find out what it is. Can they both be renewed from here and what does it involve? Trip to Guad? Hiring a lawyer? Costs? Please tell me I don't have to go back to Canada to do either, I cringe at the thought! Gracias para la ayuda...

You can renew your passport from here, but you must be in your home province to renew your D.L.

Click here for the renewal information for passports. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/index.aspx

i would suggest getting a mexican drivers license.... that will keep you from getting into any possible problems when driving down here and being stopped by transito and asked for your drivers license.

The Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara can assist with passport renewals. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/consul/ppt.aspx?view=d

As for the driver's licence, if BC is the same as Ontario then you have to go into the office (for Ontario it is a Service Ontario office). Here is a link to the BC drivers licence site that gives you the information:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/renew-replace/renewing-licence/renewing-dl

The Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara can assist with passport renewals. Here is a link to their web site: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/consul/ppt.aspx?view=d

Unless something has changed recently, the Canadian Consulate has been out of the passport business for several years, although their website does have good information. In particular you will be informed that you must send your application form and payment (not in money order) to the Embassy in Mexico City.

If you take your completed application form for a new passport and the money to the Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara they will check that your documents are in order, issue a receipt for the money, give you an envelope addressed to the Embassy in Mexico City. You then take the envelope into Estafeta and pay to send the package and for a return delivery. Your new passport will arrive at your home within 2-3 weeks.

I don't think anything can be done about renewing a driver's license so the best thing to do is get a Mexican one.

If you take your completed application form for a new passport and the money to the Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara they will check that your documents are in order, issue a receipt for the money, give you an envelope addressed to the Embassy in Mexico City. You then take the envelope into Estafeta and pay to send the package and for a return delivery. Your new passport will arrive at your home within 2-3 weeks.

I don't think anything can be done about renewing a driver's license so the best thing to do is get a Mexican one.

As I mentioned, that is exactly what they stopped doing several years ago, unless they started again. They stopped the whole return-envelope thing some time ago. Even their website specifies sending the payment only to the Embassy in Mexico. I have my receipt right here. And the form to fill out is simple enough; no need for anybody to check it.

Bandol is correct. We renewed our Cdn passports in May-filled out apps took fees to Guad- they checked everything-gave us an envelope addressed to Mex city. Went to Mailboxes and sent it by courier and had passports back in 15 days. I thought it would be a major hassle but the staff in Guad were great Hope this clears it up for you.

I renewed mine in July so this information is current. Yes indeed, the staff were helpful.

i would suggest getting a mexican drivers license.... that will keep you from getting into any possible problems when driving down here and being stopped by transito and asked for your drivers license.

The Mexican drivers license is a good idea but it's also VERY IMPORTANT to renew your provincial license if you can. When we returned to BC a few years back I was told they would not accept my Mexican license in exchange for a BC license, and as such this affected my driving status in the graduated license scheme. It also will affect your car insurance should you ever return to "ANY" province. I got ranked as only having 1 year of driving experience when I've been driving for 40 years.

If you can, renew it the next time you're up there.

Archived