Chapala.com Webboard

Must Leave Mexico

Lobo2626

I am a Chapala resident, but I'm leaving Mexico, on or before the 15th of Sept. We have an imported car, with Mexican insurance (not Mexican plates). However, I am unable to find a place that handles policies for driving in the United States. I've Checked with Parker, Lloyds, Lewis & Lewis, and my current agency, Seguros el Potosi. None of them write policies on imported vehicles for the US. I've been told I can get insurance at the border, in Laredo. Is this true? If so, do I get it and a temporary license permit, when I turn in my import sticker? If not, what am I supposed to do? I'm moving to California. I have to have some sort of insurance to cover me until I get there.

Most of those place do sell liability only policies that will have to do until you have a California DL and address when you will have many choices.

Most of those place do sell liability only policies that will have to do until you have a California DL and address when you will have many choices.

I have found none of them that will write any kind of policy to drive in the US.

It's been a couple of years, but the last time I drove to Texas and back, I bought mine from National Unity. Go to www.nationalunity.com. The minimum they would write was a one-month policy, which should give you time to get settled and find a permanent car insurer. I believe I paid by credit card. Good luck!

I am a Chapala resident, but I'm leaving Mexico, on or before the 15th of Sept. We have an imported car, with Mexican insurance (not Mexican plates). However, I am unable to find a place that handles policies for driving in the United States. I've Checked with Parker, Lloyds, Lewis & Lewis, and my current agency, Seguros el Potosi. None of them write policies on imported vehicles for the US. I've been told I can get insurance at the border, in Laredo. Is this true? If so, do I get it and a temporary license permit, when I turn in my import sticker? If not, what am I supposed to do? I'm moving to California. I have to have some sort of insurance to cover me until I get there.

I was in Parker's office just a few weeks ago when they referred someone to another company who would insure their US plated car while that couple took it to the US for several months.

If you asked for PERMANENT insurance in the US - I'd agree that none of these companies will sell it. But I think you are only looking for temporary insurance. You might want to call them again.

It's been a couple of years, but the last time I drove to Texas and back, I bought mine from National Unity. Go to www.nationalunity.com. The minimum they would write was a one-month policy, which should give you time to get settled and find a permanent car insurer. I believe I paid by credit card. Good luck!

Thank you Joyce. I found the email address for the Laredo office and emailed them the information. I really hope I hear back from them. If it works out, consider yourself an Angel. I'll be sure to let you know, before I leave.

I was in Parker's office just a few weeks ago when they referred someone to another company who would insure their US plated car while that couple took it to the US for several months.

If you asked for PERMANENT insurance in the US - I'd agree that none of these companies will sell it. But I think you are only looking for temporary insurance. You might want to call them again.

I'll call them again, but I have another option in the works. I'd much rather have it settled, before leaving, rather than wait till I get to the border.

If National Unity doesn't work out for you, try Seguro Gringo: https://www.segurogringo.us/?language7=en-US

Checked them out. This is the first thing I saw:

Tourist Cars & Vans with mexican plates

This service is only for foreigners with tourist visa in USA or Canada and they drive cars with license & plates of their country of origin.

All countries except USA and Canada.

Thanks for trying to help.

Checked them out. This is the first thing I saw:

Tourist Cars & Vans with mexican plates

This service is only for foreigners with tourist visa in USA or Canada and they drive cars with license & plates of their country of origin.

All countries except USA and Canada.

Thanks for trying to help.

You need to get deeper into their website - here is a quote from the site:

Insurance for Cars & Vans with USA/Canada license plates.

Cars & Vans with USA/Canada license plates.

This service is only for foreigners who reside permanently in Mexico and drive cars or vans with license plates from USA/Canada. Any person (FM3 Mexican or foreign) who lives in Mexico, traveling as a tourist to the U.S. or Canada in a vehicle with U.S. plates or Canada. The home must be in Mexico, and the person must be licensed in the USA or Canada.

Interestingly, National Unity is the actual writer of their policies.

Try progressive.com AS long as you have a nob drivers lic and an address to give them in the U.S. Pay on line with a credit card.

JOHN good suggestion if he meets the requirement. Usually proof of current insurance will get him

the best rates. There is also C21, Geico etc. any of the online major can help ! Liberty Mutual

will give him good service.

There is something wrong with this topic. The OP is only hearing bad info. All the suggestions are valid, local agents all offer liability coverage for USA plated cars. Seguros Gringo, National Unity are easy sites to navigate.

I'll call them again, but I have another option in the works. I'd much rather have it settled, before leaving, rather than wait till I get to the border.

As I understood it, the company that Parker referred people to WAS issuing the insurance before your departure to the US.

I still suspect there is a miscommunication issue here.

There is something wrong with this topic. The OP is only hearing bad info. All the suggestions are valid, local agents all offer liability coverage for USA plated cars. Seguros Gringo, National Unity are easy sites to navigate.

I think everyone is missing the topic. I have tried many agencies and cannot get coverage from any of them. When I get settled in the US, I won't have a problem getting the car registered, licensed, and full insurance coverage. My concern is, getting from the border to my residence in California. My original question was, can I get insurance at the border, along with my temporary tag?

I think everyone is missing the topic. I have tried many agencies and cannot get coverage from any of them. When I get settled in the US, I won't have a problem getting the car registered, licensed, and full insurance coverage. My concern is, getting from the border to my residence in California. My original question was, can I get insurance at the border, along with my temporary tag?

Sure.

At the border:

1. Go to Aduana/Banjercito and present your importation documents. They will remove the sticker from your windshield and issue a receipt. Keep that forever, in case you need to return with another car in the future.

2. Go to INM, Immigration, and turn in your visa. Be sure they cancel it and give you a confirmation receipt.

3. If you haven't already found temporary liability insurance for the USA, look for agencies on the side of the road, just as you enter the USA. (Note that only liability may be available, as your current Mexican insurance may still cover other matters, so don't cancel it prematurely.).

4. As soon as you arrive at your destination, and have an address, get the necessary inspections, registration and insurance in the normal fashion.

As RV says there should be no problem finding insurance once you cross the border - they don't require insurance to let you across the border. If you really want to have the insurance before you cross you might try Progressive - they covered our MX plated car when we were in US when nobody else would. I'd think they shouldn't have a problem getting you to California. https://mpq.progressivedirect.com/LandingPage.aspx

Archived