Chapala.com Webboard

A great, inexpensive lunch.

Shira

This morning I was in a hurry to do many errands so only had juice before leaving the house. By the time I got to Soriana it was almost noon and I was ravenous. I walked over to their takeout and restaurant area in the back in the corner and noticed they had 3 section plates with 3 large pieces of fried chicken, mashed potatos and rice for 28 pesos. If you buy their fried chicken early in the day it is excellent.

Since I still had errands to run I ate there and finshed all but one of the large pieces of chicken and the rice and brought that home with me.

The chicken was crisp and meaty and the mashed potatoes creamy and smooth.

The ambience is nil but the table was clean, the food really good and a bargain at the price. I had lunch in a popular place yesterday and though it was fairly good, the Soriana lunch was better and 60 pesos cheaper.

We agree! Much better than KFC and a much better bargain. We often take a box of Soriana fried chicken home. If we are going to eat later, or the next day, we get their roasted chickens instead. They are also very good and include 'sides'. The two whole chicken package at 200 pesos makes dinner for a small crowd.

Those chicken platters are great, and the price can't be beat. But my culinary mind boggles at the thought of rice and potatos on the same plate.

Rice and potatoes together is common in S American restaurants. Especially Peruvian cuisine. One of the best restaurants in So. Cal. was (is) a Peruvian place in La Jolla.

Archived