Chapala.com Webboard

Those chopped veggies I buy at the tiangui

jkgourmet

I use it in veggie soup all the time and also use it to make a wonderful cream soup...just add a bit of chicken boullion, plain yougurt to it for some extra taste....or whatever you like....

The ones that have chayote, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots, etc. I boil them a bit, add salt and butter - and we like them - a lot.

Other ways of using / cooking these please?

With all due respect, the market is a tianguis. The word is the same in the singular and the plural. One tianguis, two tianguis, etc.

I have often sautéed those vegetables in a little butter and/or olive oil, then added a little water, covered them, and allowed them to steam until done. You can add a teaspoon or so of Knorr Suiza Caldo de Pollo (the powdered kind), if you like. It is mostly salt plus a little chicken flavoring.

With all due respect, the market is a tianguis. The word is the same in the singular and the plural. One tianguis, two tianguis, etc.

Thank you for sorting out "tianguis" - the number of people who call it "tiangui" drives me crazy - people who should know better do it too. Of course, I can be driven crazy easily.

The ones that have chayote, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots, etc. I boil them a bit, add salt and butter - and we like them - a lot.

Other ways of using / cooking these please?

Jeanette, steaming with spices make a very tastey dish. Boiling removes so much of the taste.

Lazy woman's chicken soup recipe:

1 bag of the chopped veggies

1 rotisserie chicken (remove meat from bones)

Enough chicken broth or water to cover the above.

Some chopped chipotle en adobo, a tablespoon or so of a mole' paste, a can of diced tomatoes. Or whatever spices and other additions suit your tastes.

My favorite way to make it (and the kids favorite) is to make stir fry.

I saute the veggies in a little olive oil and a good amount of teriyaki sauce (the Kikkoman ajo asado gives it a lot of flavor IMO) or sweet and sour sauce. Then just make a pot of rice and dinner is ready! :) Sometimes I put in shrimp, too. You could add whatever meat you wanted, I'm sure.

Another way is to saute them with olive oil and put them over pasta (I use thin spaghetti) with Italian dressing. I make my own, but whatever you are used to using would probably work the same. I like to add diced tomatoes on top.

My daughter (14) likes to steam the veggies and put them in an alfredo sauce over fettuccine. Not my favorite, but it is okay.

They are too cheap and easy to not try new things with. I hadn't thought of boiling them...I'll try your way next week. :)

I mean this in the nicest way - a friend of ours used to buy the veggies along with some chicken to feed her Rottweiler. She said it was far healthier for her dog than anything she could find in a bag or can. Never asked if she cooked any up for herself or her fussy husband.

Lazy woman's chicken soup recipe:

1 bag of the chopped veggies

1 rotisserie chicken (remove meat from bones)

Enough chicken broth or water to cover the above.

Some chopped chipotle en adobo, a tablespoon or so of a mole' paste, a can of diced tomatoes. Or whatever spices and other additions suit your tastes.

AND - if you pull the meat off the chicken, and dump the bones and skin into a pot of water and boil it for an hour or two, you get instant chicken stock/broth to make that soup.

I chop it finer, usually by hand but occasionally a round or two in the food processor, and add it to lettuce and spinach salads. We like our salads with interesting crunch. We also throw a hand full in a pan of scrambled eggs.

If you want to steam veggies with very easy cleanup and have a 4-cup glass Pyrex measuring cup, just place the veggies in there, sprinkle with a little bit of water, cover with a saucer, and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes. When done, hold the measuring cup by it's handle over the sink and pour out the excess water, add a little butter (or olive oil), lime juice or vinegar, salt and pepper, stir, and voila, steamed veggies, ready to eat.

Jeanette, steaming with spices make a very tastey dish. Boiling removes so much of the taste.

Those bags of veggies sound interesting. My first thought is-do they have to be soaked in Microdyn? Maybe depending if you eat them raw in a salad or cook them?

We rinse them in a collander under the running water and pat dry and them put them in baggies in 1 or 3 cup measures. The 3 cups go into the freezer to pop into soup. Never have soaked them.

Another use is to do them really fine in the food processor and make some veggie dip with mayo and sour cream.

Archived