Chapala.com Webboard

Weep for Carlos Slim

Shira

Hey, guys, things are tough everywhere. A couple billion here, a couple billion there and pretty soon you gotta a real problem.

uj

Carlos just lost $6.7 Billion? Well, I'll be darned. I happened to find just that amount in an abandoned suitcase behind El Torito. I wonder if it's his? Anyone got his cell # so I can return it? It probably makes him a bit short, and I wouldn't want him to miss a rent payment or have CFE cut off his juice.

Hoorah for the rich, who planned, prepared and took risks!!! Boo hoo for those who were lazy, had "bad luck", calamities and every other reason to not have success and for people to hate them.

This guy is one of the 20% of Mexico, one who is doing something, heck he could give gifts to his countrymen and they´d piss it away and be in the same boat a year from now.

This guy didn´t sell drugs or win the lottery. Me thinks some sound jealous. Analyze and learn from his methods.

Hoorah for the rich, who planned, prepared and took risks!!! Boo hoo for those who were lazy, had "bad luck", calamities and every other reason to not have success and for people to hate them.

This guy is one of the 20% of Mexico, one who is doing something, heck he could give gifts to his countrymen and they´d piss it away and be in the same boat a year from now.

This guy didn´t sell drugs or win the lottery. Me thinks some sound jealous. Analyze and learn from his methods.

Spencer,

You offer services I could use.

After this post, I won't.

I hope you'll learn from your mistakes.

A woman showed her displeasure towards a fairly recent electee by saying this means more rich people. My comment was good. We certainly don't need more poor people. Rich people pay most of the taxes and provide most of the jobs. On average, it seems to me they should be thanked not scorned.

Some politicans are good at drumming up class envy in order to get votes.

i was speaking to an american company representative a couple of weeks ago.... and i asked what state she was located at, she said "omaha nebraska" i said "wow, thats where warren buffett began his amazing financial empire..... she said "he paid for my college tuition" thats the type of person that i admire.......

i also like paul merage the founder of hot pockets that began in the 70's and eventually sold his company to nestle corp for 2.6 billion...... there after he gave millions to his old university and they formed the paul merage school of business....

i also like ed raymund (rip) founder of tech date corporation out of clearwater florida.... his son had a vision and he started tech data.... currently with sales in the billions.

those are the self made millionares that i admire

It is interesting to read Slim´s history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim

Obviously he had to have had alot of $$$ to be able to buy / form Telmex which came from effort, education, risk and the like a very very long time ago.

It is interesting to see him talk about his investment strategies and I agree with him about growth potential in Latin America, somewhere he is heavily invested.

Sure he lost money, we all lose money but then the market is always up and down and that´s why the smart people diversify their portfolio and rebalance periodically where as the naive ones jump on some popular bandwagon (tech stocks, real estate) and place it all in one basket (more than they can afford to lose) and then lose it and complain. Slim will recalculate, rebalance and ride out the storm and still be on top because he has the winning attitude, Buffet has it too but perhaps not Gates as he is very heavily invested in his baby, Microsoft.

(Editorializing) This is what is wrong with America, people want the easy buck and gone are the days of swallowing your pride and rolling up your sleeves, it is easier to hate while slouched in your armchair then work hard and few people take responsibility for their poor decisions.

There are plenty of business success stories to idolize, Carlos Slim, who has made the bulk of his money with inside deals, monopolies created with pay backs to politicians all over south America and Mexico etc is not a hero to me or very many socially aware observers.

Prodigy is a good example, he bought it when it's main operation was in the US where it had competition, backed out of that market and brought the technology and equipment to Mexico where he could buy a monopoly from the government and now milks the country by providing a sub standard product (by world standards) at one of the highest costs in the world. I find that a profitable way to run a business but very difficult to see merit in or idolize since the result is a lessening of Mexico's competitiveness.

I see Slim as a emblematic of the lack of integrity in many parts of modern business. In the end businesses are like people, those who act like sociopaths may win in the short run but the price to everyone else is so high they usually end up paying for their lack of human connection.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe he should read this weeks Guad paper and throw in a few billion to help the growing population become educated. If those statistics are accurate,we know they will be desperate and resort to crime. ( 50% of Mexican children 15-19 are unemployed and out of school).

Maybe he should read this weeks Guad paper and throw in a few billion to help the growing population become educated. If those statistics are accurate,we know they will be desperate and resort to crime. ( 50% of Mexican children 15-19 are unemployed and out of school).

It looks like he is throwing some money at the situation:

http://www.carlossli...der360_ing.html

"Carlos Slim has matched his extraordinary success in business with a passionate commitment to improve the standard of living of future societies. In the past, GWU medal has been awarded to successful businessmen, renowned philanthropists and humanitarian leaders. Today, "the Medal is awarded to a man that fulfills all these virtues and more," said GWU President Steven Knapp to a crowded ceremony that included the Mexican Ambassador, Arturo Sarukhan.

Knapp enumerated the companies that comprise Slim's empire including those acting in the humanitarian field, most notably the Telmex Foundation "created to help eradicate extreme poverty" and the Carso Institute for Health, which focuses on the fight against malnutrition. "Carlos Slim is what philosopher Antonio Caso has described as the 'ideal human being: ethical, willful and spiritual' ".

http://en.wikipedia....im#Philanthropy

In 1995 he established Fundación Telmex, a broad-ranging philanthropic foundation. This followed the creation of his eponymous non-profit philanthropic foundation, Fundación Carlos Slim Helú in 1986. In 2007 it was announced that the latter body had an asset base of $4 billion and that it would be establishing Carso Institutes for Health, Sports and Education. Furthermore, it was to work in support of an initiative of Bill Clinton to aid the people of Latin America.

......read more.

Guadaljara Reporter Sept 3-9 page 7. NiNis:A Generation Wasting Away

I wonder ehere they are... I´ve been looking for a worker in that age range and nothing....

About Carlos Slim... well... In my very own mexican point of view, he is a guy with strong values, and has one of the must importat charities of the country (fundacion telmex). Too bad some have such a poor idea of him. I don´t belive that because he is one of the wolrd´s richest man has to feed all the country...

I wonder ehere they are... I´ve been looking for a worker in that age range and nothing....

About Carlos Slim... well... In my very own mexican point of view, he is a guy with strong values, and has one of the must importat charities of the country (fundacion telmex). Too bad some have such a poor idea of him. I don´t belive that because he is one of the wolrd´s richest man has to feed all the country...

Guess that is a question for Duncan Tucker who wrote the article

Good on ya Spencer. I don't doubt good ol Carlos has stepped on a few toes on his way to the top of the heap but he ain't the villain others seem to see him as. Envy envy envy. Sad to see.

Archived