Chapala.com Webboard

Drove my car to Ajijic, but now will fly to US and back

Elizabeth63

I drove down from the US to Ajijic, where I now have my car stored, and have a FMT. I am planning to fly to US in Sept. for a 3 week visit. Can you tell me if this is just a simple process, or will I need to explain about my car when I leave or reenter Mexico? Thanks!

When you fly out, your current FMT expires. When you return, you will get a new one. Problem is, your car permit is tied to your current FMT. I think the procedure is to go to Aduana at the airport, show them your round trip ticket and get some kind of permission or waiver to leave the car.

Hopefully, RV Gringo and Intercasa will both show up here and explain the process in more detail. It is good that you pose this question now, a month before you're going to travel. You should have time to sort it all out.

Your car is not legal here when out of country on a FMM but car permit is tied to your passport not your FMM. Many get a car permit on line before ever getting a FMM tourist visa. Some will raise all kinds of fear regarding your car but likely little will ever happen. Meanwhile, when gone make sure car is kept someone secure. John

Some years ago, my father in law ran into major problems when he came in on an FM3, had to fly back out for a brief time for business reasons and ended up paying a stiff fine. So I'd check how this is handled these days before I assumed that it is OK to just leave it without filing any paperwork. The car permits are in a computer record now.

The latest changes indicate to me they are getting stickier about the whole car import business. When we brought ours in, they didn't actually charge us a deposit like they are doing now.

I am pretty certain that your FMT expires when you leave the country and you will be getting a new one when you return. Check your car paper and your current FMT and see if the number of the former is anywhere on the latter.

Nobody has an FMT any more; they don't exist. There is an FMM tourist permit which is good for 180 days and is not renewable. You cannot leave a temporarily imported car in Mexico if you leave with the FMM tourist permit. There will be fines and forfeiture of your bond of $200 to $400 USD. If something were to happen which involved your illegal car in Mexico, you would be up that proverbial creek.

So, get a visa before you have to fly out without your car. Once done, you can leave it behind legally.

Just what I thought. RV are you suggesting they get an FM3? They are still issuing those until the new setup is implemented.

Vaguely I recall this came up some time ago here and the person was able to get some kind of waiver/permit from aduana at the airport. However, my memory isn't so hot these days so I might be hallucinating.

Bottom line for the OP, get cracking on sorting this out right away if you want to go out in September! You can't just go off and leave your car with the FMM visa you have. You might want to contact Spencer (Intercasa) with this problem and see what he suggests.

Of course get what we use to call a FM-3 or 2 if possible but if not the bond may not apply if you entered Mexico prior to it being implemented about 3 months ago.

Your car permist is tied to you passport. If not how in heck would you get a car permit on-line, delivered to an address outside of Mexico as at the point you have no FMM etc. So why do some suggest it is tied to your visa is beyond me.

Next someone will suggest you will be in jail. lmao

I will be going to the Intercasa office in Chapala tomorrow, and am talking with Denise, as I had emailed Spencer to find out what I should do. It appears that if I get my FM3 now, then I should be OK, but I need to make sure. Thanks for the info!

Archived