Chapala.com Webboard

Hidalgo "International" Airport

HelperGuy

Last month, friends arrived from Montreal via Mexico City. Not having used Terminal Two before, I was unaware they would "arrive" there. No one in T1 could tell me why there was nothing on the "national" arrivals board about the flight there. Fortunately, they were smart enough to walk out and find us.

This weekend, more friends arrived, same flight, same schedule. So we smartly parked in the T2 parking lot... only to discover nothing on the board there about the flight. I did manage to find a ticket officer who, after digging around in the back for 10 minutes or so, told us that the flight was arriving in T1. It was then I discovered that you can't drive between the two parking lots without paying for each separately.

The confirmation email about this particular flight actually said Terminal Two. Back home, the electronic schedule signs always show the Gate or Terminal. Not here. Next time we have someone coming in via Mexico City, I'll send out scouts.

We had the same problem with guests arriving a year ago on a flight from Toronto via Mexico City. We were sitting waiting for them in Terminal 1 and they never arrived. FLight after flight from Mexico City de-planed and we couldn't find them. The board said their flight had arrived. We were getting frantic and finally we ran into them in the lobby. They had been waiting at Terminal 2 and when we never arrived (so it seemed) they walked over to Terminal 1 and ran into us.

Next time, we know one of us has to be in each terminal just in case. I agree, it is a terrible system.

We flew in and out of Terminal 2 it was well marked on our confirmations. We also parked in the 2 lot for 5 days, be aware the autopay machines, the only option late at night, do not take $500 peso bills.

And now for the rest of the story. Recommendation: steer clear of AeroMexico if you can.

On the afternoon of this past Sunday, my daughter started receiving email notifications of flight changes to Mexico City from Guadalajara. She received several, but the times could not possibly have been right: leave Guad at 9:35, arrive Mexico City 10:00, And so on. Calling the airline, the flights were confirmed as not having changed at all. But apparently their database was "in transition".

At terminal 2, with plenty of time to go, she was told that indeed the flight was postponed for "a while". Lots of people, hardly any seats, so they plunked down to the floor. During the whole waiting period, she heard no announcements. Note that when you check in, there is no screen for departures... only arrivals. She called AeroMexico from within the terminal, and was told the plane would board by 10:45...

My daughter started watching a Mexican gal who was obviously on the same flight. She went up to the desk several times to ask about the flight; on her fifth trip up, my daughter watching, the ticket agent pointed to a plane sitting on the tarmac and said "Correle!" ("run", my Spanish spelling isn't that good). So my daughter went up to ask, and was told: "That plane! Now! Get any seat you can find!". It wasn't their flight; they were waiting for 233, and this was 101, but they got on. No announcement for either plane. Time: 11:15 pm. Connecting flight in Mexico for Montreal: 1:00 am. Last month, her friend departed from Terminal 2 and something similar happened: but he missed the flight, and had to cool his heels in Mexico City for 24 hours, waiting for the next flight... no food vouchers, no hotel, no apologies.

They arrived in Mexico City at 12:15, had to check their luggage, and got onto the departing flight for Montreal with only moments to spare. They were quite relieved to find that their luggage made it, too.

Is this any way to run an airline?

Oh, dear...I'd found an aeromexico flight with decent times from Miami to GDL but when I went to book the following day, the flight was full.

The other options involve long (as in 5-8 hours in DFW) or multiple (at least 2) stops and....the fares are from $800-$1,000!

Up until last year, it's been between $400-450.

I'd been planning to try aeromexico cos i prefer to fly in and out of Mexico and avoid having to retrieve my luggage in DFW for customs and again at MIA.

bummer

My sister went GDL to London Heathrow via Mexico City a couple of days ago, 6 hrs between flights in Mexico City, but guess what her luggage never left GDL!. Still waiting for it to be delivered to London this morning.

Looks like Aeromexico really do need to sort themselves out on every level

Paula

Archived