Chapala.com Webboard

de hojaldre

solajijic

Bought some of this today, frozen of course, any hints for using it? or do I just use it like regular puff pastry from a box?

Sorry to be so late in responding, just saw this. Yes, just like regular puff pastry.

And BTW, Wal-Mart almost always has it fresh.

Walmart usually does, but she said they didn't even have any in the back for themselves and it was Saturday afternoon. She is setting aside some fresh for me this morning. I thought I'd ask here about the frozen from Superlake in case someone else wants some puff pastry info, but alas, no one did. CASA tomorrow, fig and pear tart making today.

By the way, I bought Phyllo dough at Superlake Friday, there were dozens of packages but beware its been thawed and refrozen several times...no height on it all but still good crunch.

Too bad because its been YEARS since I bought anything out of the freezer there and I had so hoped they had changed and were no longer turning the freezers off at night. Of course they could have just left the phyllo carton sitting out in the back for too long. But its been thawaed and refrozen more than once.

Walmart usually does, but she said they didn't even have any in the back for themselves and it was Saturday afternoon. She is setting aside some fresh for me this morning. I thought I'd ask here about the frozen from Superlake in case someone else wants some puff pastry info, but alas, no one did. CASA tomorrow, fig and pear tart making today.

By the way, I bought Phyllo dough at Superlake Friday, there were dozens of packages but beware its been thawed and refrozen several times...no height on it all but still good crunch.

Too bad because its been YEARS since I bought anything out of the freezer there and I had so hoped they had changed and were no longer turning the freezers off at night. Of course they could have just left the phyllo carton sitting out in the back for too long. But its been thawaed and refrozen more than once.

Hi Solajijic.

I do not think that phyllo supposed to have "height". It is used in strudel and that dough has very thin noodle like character-no height .

You take one or 2 "sheets" and lay thin layer of fruit on top and roll it into a log.

When baked and cut you have crusty layer on the top but soft inside between the fruit.

The thiner the dough the better.

picture:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2880661040100139964ztQcwo

This picture and the strudel is not mine.

It can be done with puff pastry but it has completely different character and taste.

And working with puff pastry is little easier and you would not roll it into log but rather line the pan with a layer and then put the layer of fruit and another layer of puff pastry. But I use just a "crumble" from butter sugar, flower, oats and maybe coconut on the top.

take care

Edited from the original post.

Hi Solajijic.

I do not think that phyllo supposed to have "height". It is used in strudel and that dough has very thin noodle like character-no height.

picture

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2880661040100139964ztQcwo

This picture and the strudel is not mine.

Well it should have a little definition as the layers separate, not near puff pastry, but this baked in a solid hunk without obvious layers so it was hard and not flaky, just crunchy. too bad.

Bought some of this today, frozen of course, any hints for using it? or do I just use it like regular puff pastry from a box?

It's not sweet so I use it for chicken pies - just the lid which puffs up and browns nicely. You can also make turnovers filled with anything - apples, savory like chicken empanadas only they puff up. It's really easy to use. And Costco also has it really cheap but the piece is so big you need to cut it and freeze parts. It's works nicely from frozen but is better fresh.

Sounds like something I'd like to try using. Where in Walmart / Soriani do you get it? How does it come (sheets or a lump needing to be rolled out?)

Anyone wanting to share a good recipe using hojaldre/

In Walmart it is over in the bakery section where the cakes are in the cold shelving. Its a rectangle, folded over, it should be fresh. The frozen one I bought from Superlake last night and used this morning baked up as too buttery which made the undercrust of the tart hard when it cooled.

I am making a pear, onion and fig tart. Create the pastry rectangle and score about 1 -1 1.2 inches from sides to create the rim, it will puff up during baking, dont cut all the way thru the pastry. I am going to blind bake the pastry to eliminate overbaking the tart. Blind bake is what your mother did when she made cream pies..cooked the pie crust first putting beans or rice or pie weights in the pan to keep it flat. After baking inside the rim spread light layer fig jam, light layer carmelized onions (save the deglazing, and drain the onions before putting them in the shell), enough preroasted 1/4 inch sliced pears and roast some figs to cover the center area of the tart and then finish off the pastry baking at 400 for about 15 minutes, after 5 baste the liquid from having deglazed the onions and the liquid from the roasted pears and figs. You can add a sprinkling ofgorgonzola at the end of the baking, but I found the taste too strong in the first one made this morning. Serve with a whipped ricotta flavored with a bit of lime or lemon juice. Jsut about any fruit tart recipe will give you similar or better instructions. Figs are in season.

Well it should have a little definition as the layers separate, not near puff pastry, but this baked in a solid hunk without obvious layers so it was hard and not flaky, just crunchy. too bad.

Phylo dough is used for baclava or purses or Morrocan pigeon pie called bastilla. You need to thaw it out and then keep a wet towel on it while working it or it will dry out.

When making a bastilla you lay out the sheets and seal the seams with hot butter. It can be cooked in a pan on top of the stove or in an oven.

It is a tricky pastry to work with. You can refreeze it after using whatever you need. The thawing out and refreezing is not a problem as a rule. When cooked properly it is very flaky . It has nothing to do with and cannot be used instead of hojaldre.

Phylo dough is used for baclava or purses or Morrocan pigeon pie called bastilla. You need to thaw it out and then keep a wet towel on it while working it or it will dry out.

When making a bastilla you lay out the sheets and seal the seams with hot butter. It can be cooked in a pan on top of the stove or in an oven.

It is a tricky pastry to work with. You can refreeze it after using whatever you need. The thawing out and refreezing is not a problem as a rule. When cooked properly it is very flaky . It has nothing to do with and cannot be used instead of hojaldre.

Right, phylo is difficult to work with. Also, you need to brush each "leaf" or layer with olive oil before using it. If you don't do that, I could imagine it would bake into a solid lump.

Sounds like something I'd like to try using. Where in Walmart / Soriani do you get it? How does it come (sheets or a lump needing to be rolled out?)

Anyone wanting to share a good recipe using hojaldre/

At Soriana, you ask for it at the bakery counter. Buy it by the kilo. It will need to be rolled out.

Archived