Chapala.com Webboard

Flying to Mexico on one-way ticket

kramer

I plan to fly into Mexico (either Guadalajara or Mazatlán) on a one-way air ticket. I am a USA citizen with a current passport -- although I would probably be flying from Toronto through Chicago (so more opportunities for problems). I do not have a Mexican visa, I would be a tourist on arrival.

Could this be a problem?

Many airlines do not allow one way tickets to many countries, they require you to have a ticket out of the country before they let you board. I googled and could not find any problems with Mexico in this regard for USA or Canadian citizens, but wanted to confirm with the experts here. Also, if a particular airline gives passengers a hard time about this, I want to avoid them before I buy the ticket.

Thanks in advance.

I plan to fly into Mexico (either Guadalajara or Mazatlán) on a one-way air ticket. I am a USA citizen with a current passport -- although I would probably be flying from Toronto through Chicago (so more opportunities for problems). I do not have a Mexican visa, I would be a tourist on arrival.

Could this be a problem?

Many airlines do not allow one way tickets to many countries, they require you to have a ticket out of the country before they let you board. I googled and could not find any problems with Mexico in this regard for USA or Canadian citizens, but wanted to confirm with the experts here. Also, if a particular airline gives passengers a hard time about this, I want to avoid them before I buy the ticket.

Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't be a problem traveling to Mexico as long as you are a US citizen. I am a former ticket/gate agent for American Airlines. There are countries that require a ticket to leave, but as far as I know Mexico is not one of them. Many people fly one way and drive the other.

Joni

Shouldn't be a problem traveling to Mexico as long as you are a US citizen. I am a former ticket/gate agent for American Airlines. There are countries that require a ticket to leave, but as far as I know Mexico is not one of them. Many people fly one way and drive the other.

Joni

Yes, no problem at all.

Thanks so much for the responses! Wow, it is so nice that Mexican immigration never gives a problem with this (and thus allows the airlines to be lax).

Believe me, it is a big problem flying to many countries. So I will arrive on a one-way ticket.

I flew down here last year with a one way ticket last year without any problems. At the time I purchased the ticket I didn't know my return date. When I did return to Sacramento CA to get my car a few months later, I just purchased another one way ticket. Good luck and happy traveling.

Archived