Chapala.com Webboard

Changes to temporary vehicle importation

RVGRINGO

NEW RULES FOR IMPORT PERMIT PROCESS OF VEHICLES

These amendments came into force on June 11, 2011

If you apply for a temporary import permit, take into account:

The cost of processing the permit for your vehicle is $44 dollars plus tax, whether at the border, consulate or via internet.

In all cases, regardless of payment by cash or credit card, you must provide a guarantee for payment of taxes that may be caused by the failure to return the vehicle, or by the commission of offenses under applicable law; the deposit varies by vehicle model year, according to the following table:

Model-year vehicle warranty Amount in U.S. dollars

2007 and later $400

2001-2006 $300

2000 and earlier $200

If you return your vehicle before the permit expires, the warranty will be effective, even if you've made payment by credit card.

Prior to the issuance of the temporary import permit, BANJERCITO will consult to ensure that your vehicle does not have a report of theft or accident, or is restricted or prohibited for use in the United States or Canada. If this query indicates that the vehicle has a report, for the reasons outlined above, it may not be temporarily imported.

At the time of processing your temporary import permit, it is your responsibility to verify the correct and proper recording of data, such as make, model, serial number and vehicle age.

If you are a foreigner with migratory status of immigrant or nonimmigrant annuitant, the validity of your permit will be equal to the life of your immigration status, extensions and endorsements, as long as there is continuity in them. Note that you must submit a notice to the customs authority within 15 days following the authorizing of the extension, enlargement, endorsement or change in immigration status, to the effect that the guarantee is made that continues your permission.

If your vehicle was stolen or had an accident in Mexico or the United States, or was sold or traded in the U.S. or Canada, the cancellation process must be made by applying to the Central Administration of Customs' Operation which is located at the following address:

Avenida Hidalgo No. 77, Module IV, First Floor,

Col. Guerrero, Delegación Cuauhtémoc, C.P. 06300, Mexico, D.F.

For more in formation call INFOSAT (01 800 46 36 728 from the United States and

Canada 1877 44 88 728 24 hours) or email CIITEV_AduanaMexico@sat.gob.mx

RV ~ Does this apply to ALL temporary vehicle importation, or are vehicles imported under tourist visas exempt? Lizzy :017:

It appears to apply to all vehicles coming in on an 'importada temporal'. It definitely applies to tourist permits (FMM) and, as the law states, you have 15 days to notify Aduana in DF when you change your status to a visa, such as the new 'residente temporal', which should be available by November. In the transition time, until then, the 'no inmigrante' or 'inmigrante' visas continue to be issued by INM.

Any change of status, including annual renewals of visas*, will now require notification. It will also be vitally important to keep the credit card used for the warranty valid for the entire time you are in Mexico.

*Those of us with foreign plated cars that have been in Mexico for years, will be OK unless and until we drive that vehicle out of Mexico. On re-entry, we'll have to pay the fee and then be subject to the notifications, etc.

Fortunately, ours hasn't been out of Mexico in years, and we have no plans to take it out in our lifetime. If we need to go north, we'll drive our Jalisco plated car, as we've done in the past, without any hassle or added expense.

RV thanks for posting.

So a person drives into Mexico and gets a FMM. Do you wait at the border while they do a check to ensure that your vehicle does not have a report of theft or accident, or is restricted or prohibited for use in the United States or Canada? Or did I misunderstand the procedure?

So if we got our temporary vehicle importation last September, and our FM3 this January, can I asssume this will not apply to me unless I drive NOB and then return? And as long as we remain current with our immigration status our car is also legal?

Just in case, can the required notification of status change be done via email to the CIITEV_AduanaMexico@sat.gob.mx address?

Thanks RV for all the great info!!

To those with more questions:

Please read the posting carefully. What it says is all the information that is available. I don't try to read more or less into it than is presented, nor do I try to guess what actual implementation will entail.

In all cases, regardless of payment by cash or credit card, you must provide a guarantee for payment of taxes that may be caused by the failure to return the vehicle, or by the commission of offenses under applicable law; the deposit varies by vehicle model year, according to the following table:

Model-year vehicle warranty Amount in U.S. dollars

2007 and later $400

2001-2006 $300

2000 and earlier $200

This implies that, contrary to the previous law wherein you only needed to pay a tax warranty if you did not have a credit card, that now you must pay both the process fee and the deposit.

When we drove down less than a month ago, we paid for our temporary vehicle sticker AND the required deposit. Both items were charged on a master card, and they showed up as two separate transactions on our statement.

I wonder if this applies to just nipping over the border for a visit. Must one apply for a temporary import permit anytime one brings in a vehicle?

Sparks, what is your source for that info? I would be delighted if this were the case, as we have been visiting Sonora of late. Thanks, Lizzy

Sparks, what is your source for that info? I would be delighted if this were the case, as we have been visiting Sonora of late. Thanks, Lizzy

The hassle free zone of Sonora, which includes San Carlos and extends as far south as Empalme, does not require car pemits so you are not involved in the question of leaving a deposit. Sonora struggled mightily to get the Only Sonora program and then later the Hassle Free Zone as tourism suffered greatly when the first incarnation of the current plan started back in the early 90's. I can't speak on Baja as it's been eons since we were there. Whether Only Sonora will be impacted by the deposit situation remains to be seen.

So far, there are at least two reports of having to pay the deposit at the 21km site in Sonora. The consensus so far is that the "hassle free zone" appears to no longer be hassle free. From the reports it would seem that things are still shaking out. <_< Lizzy

So far, there are at least two reports of having to pay the deposit at the 21km site in Sonora. The consensus so far is that the "hassle free zone" appears to no longer be hassle free. From the reports it would seem that things are still shaking out. <_< Lizzy

It may be that if one wants to proceed South of the Hassle Free Zone, they pay at the 21 km. site, but as of two weeks ago there was still an inspection point at the end of the "Sonora Only" zone, so I suspect the Hassle Free Zone remains in effect.

It may be that if one wants to proceed South of the Hassle Free Zone, they pay at the 21 km. site, but as of two weeks ago there was still an inspection point at the end of the "Sonora Only" zone, so I suspect the Hassle Free Zone remains in effect.

I only wish it were so.

These folks were/are coming down to San Carlos. Hence the fuss.

There has always been a checkpoint to proceed on from Empalme. :( Lizzy

If you are a foreigner with migratory status of immigrant or nonimmigrant annuitant, the validity of your permit will be equal to the life of your immigration status, extensions and endorsements, as long as there is continuity in them. Note that you must submit a notice to the customs authority within 15 days following the authorizing of the extension, enlargement, endorsement or change in immigration status, to the effect that the guarantee is made that continues your permission.

If I understand this correctly, when you renew/extend your visa, you have to now notify customs of it. But as a practical matter, how is that notification provided? Is there some sort of form to send in along with copies of the new visa? How will the changing of the visa categories under the new law affect this?

As always, great post RV. Thanks.

If I understand this correctly, when you renew/extend your visa, you have to now notify customs of it. But as a practical matter, how is that notification provided? Is there some sort of form to send in along with copies of the new visa? How will the changing of the visa categories under the new law affect this?

From www.rollybrook.com; thanks Rolly!!

If you have posted a bond guaranteeing the removal of your vehicle, you must notify Aduana within 15 days after any change in your visa status (renewal, upgrade, etc.) in order to preserve your bond. Your vehicle continues to legal whether you file these papers or not. But you will lose your bond deposit if you don't file.

The documents required are a copy of your visa card and a copy of the temporary importation permit. You will be asked to fill out a form called Anexo 2 Adviso de Próeeunga, Ampllación o Refrendo which you can get from the Aduana office.

The documents are to be presented to an Aduana office or a Banjécite CIITEV station. Aduana offices are located at every port of entry – land crossings, sea ports and international airports. You will receive a receipt proving compliance with the rule.

There is no charge.

If there is no Aduana office in your city, you can mail the documents to the nearest office or to Aduana headquarters in DF at this address with the sample letter:

Administración General de Aduanas

Administración Central de Planeación Aduanera

Av. Hidalgo No. 77, Módulo IV, primer piso

Col. Guerrero, Delegación Cuauhtemoc

Código Postal 06300, México, D.F. Por medio de la presente me permito informarle a used que El Instituto Nacional de Migración de este país me ha concedido prorroga en mi calidad migratoria por el tiempo de __*__ días para permanecer en México, con vencimiento del día __**____.

[*= number of days of your FM3 renewal – usually 365]

[**= expiration date of your renewal]

Estoy pidiendo a la autoridad para extender el período de mi coche equal de mi estado de inmigración como lo exige el Manual de Procedimientos para la importación temporal de vehículos - Artículo 17

Marca:_____________________ [Make of car]

Modelo: ___________________ [Model of car]

No de serie_________________ [VIN]

Efectuada por la Aduana de _______________________ [where you got the permit]

Amparo del Permiso de Importación Temporal No. ___________ [hologram number]

Fecha de Entrada del vehículo: _______________ [date of entry with vehicle]

Fecha de Vencimiento del Permiso: ___________ [expiration date of permit]

Atentamente,

[Your signature]

[Your name]

[ Your address, phone number and e-mail]

1-aa-bar.gif

OK, we haven't actually posted a bond like is required under the new law. It is on an expired credit card. But maybe we should mail this in just to be safe.

Thanks RV and Bisbee.

Spencer told me that his office will take the needed letter to the Aduana office at the airport and get a receipt. Whether that is tied into renewing FM what evers, I don't know, but check with him. We plan on having him do it when we renew our FM3's in the autumn.

I was under the impression that they extracted the $$$ from your account when you posted the bond...

... then, when you return with the vehicle within the allotted time, your bond is credited back to your account.

If this is the case, won't your expired card be problematic? Lizzy :017:

Spencer told me that his office will take the needed letter to the Aduana office at the airport and get a receipt. Whether that is tied into renewing FM what evers, I don't know, but check with him. We plan on having him do it when we renew our FM3's in the autumn.

Thank you. As we'll probably have Spencer assist us in getting the renewal next June, we'll have him handle this as well, if needed. As noted, they did not charge our CC when we got the permit.

From all the U.S. cars I see flowing into this country, I would wager the Mexican "war on cars" is working about as well as the U.S. "war on drugs." :)

They charge your card at the time the permit is issued and then it is up to you to keep them informed to keep the money from going to the treasury and thereby being lost of forfeited and kept in the account of aduana who is able to refund it to you. Best to advise them immediately within obtaining the permit as you are supposed to keep them informed within 15 working days as informing them after that might allow your deposit to pass to the treasury. So if entering you'd want to notify them you have an FM3 if possible on the spot and get a stamped receipt for the notification or else upon arrival here.

Archived