Chapala.com Webboard

prodigy.net..mx allow a vacation message?

lakeheron

Prodigy is through TelMex not TelCel. So if you go to www.telmex.com.mx you'll see a link for Prodigy Mail over to the right. Click on that and a box will drop down to enter your Username and password. That way you can check you Prodigy Mail from anywhere you have internet access.

Do any of you who use Telcel's prodigy as your internet server know whether there is an option to have an automatic reply sent out for a period of time?

Or if you're using a client lake Microsoft Mail, you can go to "Tools" then "Message Rules" and set up forwarding from there.

Sorry, I meant Telmex. I have a friend who wants to stop getting emails on prodigy and get them all on gmail. She is elderly and not computer savvy whatsoever. I don't have prodigy since Carlos Slim is too poor to have telephone poles put in place to our house so I don't know anything about prodigy. I can think of two easy ways to accomplish this task for her:

1. have a vacation message for a month or two so all of her contacts switch to the new email addy

2. have all prodigy mail forwarded to her gmail

I don't know how to do either of these things but if I had instructions could do it for her. I hope this explains better what I am trying to accomplish.

I have never used Gmail so I'm just speculating here, hopefully some who has can comment as well. You need to go into her Gmail account and see if can be configured to retrieve her e-mails that are on the Prodigy e-mail server. I'm pretty sure this is possible.

Otherwise you can download and install a free e-mail program like Thunderbird, which comes from Mozilla the same folks who have given us the Firefox browser, and configure it to retrieve the e-mails.

I don't think there's a way to automatically do what you would "like" to do.

I think you are referring to what is usually a one time "download all my messages, contacts and folders" when you want to switch mail servers. Don't believe it can be done repeatedly. If Telmex allows that, why not do it and then send all your contacts a message, from Gmail, that you have changed email addresses

Step 1

If you're switching to Gmail from another email provider, importing contacts and messages from your old email account can help you make the transition without having to do a bunch of housekeeping.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=25413&topic=25415&rd=1

Do any of you who use Telcel's prodigy as your internet server know whether there is an option to have an automatic reply sent out for a period of time?

No matter what service you use, you could just write an e-mail stating that you are going on vacation. You could send it to those who correspond regularly, or you could 'send all' if you don't have unknown folks in your address book/directory.

Aaarrrgghhh.... I don't mean to say she is going on vacation. I just mean for her to say have what is merely termed a "vacation message" or an "out of the office" message wherein everybody who writes her at prodigy gets an automatic reply message from her for about a month: "Thanks for writing me. Just to let you know I have a new email address which is xxxxx at gmail.com. Please change your contact info for me to this new address and write to me there. Thanks."

I just don't know how to do this on prodigy. Is there such a feature some of you have used in the past?

I've reviewed all the options on the webmail page for Prodigy and cannot find a "vacation response" capability.

Telmex tried to incorporate a vacation option but found that it quickly swamped their system. They have reverted to "vacation as usual" as the default. Try e-mailing any of your Mexican Doctors, contractors, etc. Never a response.

Telmex tried to incorporate a vacation option but found that it quickly swamped their system. They have reverted to "vacation as usual" as the default. Try e-mailing any of your Mexican Doctors, contractors, etc. Never a response.

Thank you for a clear answer. Now I know not to bother looking and stretching this weary mind any further than it already is. We'll just notify all of my friend's contacts about the change. Not the way I wanted to do it, but so it is.

Archived