Chapala.com Webboard

HCG Diet

Sailor

Dr. Oz talked about that on his program 2 days ago...might want to google his thoughts on the subject. Not good is the impression I came away with and he gave the reasons why...

For sure you will Los a lot of weight on 500 calories a day.

I'd really want more than internet opinions (on this or any forum) before taking such a (in my opinion) radical course of action.

Apparently, there is a doctor here in town promoting this diet. I don't like these fad diets either and don't like the idea of injections. Several people have lost a lot of weight on it, but I won't try it. I know what to do-eat less and exercise more. Just have to do it.

Fad diets, such as this one will lighten your wallet and you will lose weight; perhaps more: your health or even your life. Be very careful.

The only 'diet' that works is eating less, but not that much less, and regular excercise. That will improve your health, not threaten it.

Anytime you use hormone or hormone like substances you take a chance it will affect you adversely. You never can be sure how your body may react or if it will interfere with another condition or medication or supplement.I take blood pressures at LCS and had 2 people tell me they had a sudden rise in Blood pressure. Went off HCG and BP is now normal.

Most nutritionists and other experts have not endorsed it and like the other posting said " you are bound to lose weight on 500 calories. You are also losing important nutrients.

Well, not quite correct, but the concept is similar. Your personal starvation mode depends on your regular daily caloric intake. And hitting that mode is not a good way to lose weight: that's when your body begins to stop using it's stores of fats in an effort to survive, because your brain thinks you are dieing. And of course your muscle tissue will get used as well, making you weak and prone to future health problems.

Do I understand you correctly?

You eat 500 calories a day and are given injections as part of a weight-loss program?

This is a crazy,scary and potentially fatal approach.

It doesn't even matter what they are injecting or if they inject it SQ, ID or IM.

CALORIES IN, CALORIES OUT.

Start looking at the food you eat each day and the exercise/calories burned. IMHO, that's where one should start .

Do I understand you correctly?

You eat 500 calories a day and are given injections as part of a weight-loss program?

This is a crazy,scary and potentially fatal approach.

It doesn't even matter what they are injecting or if they inject it SQ, ID or IM.

CALORIES IN, CALORIES OUT.

Start looking at the food you eat each day and the exercise/calories burned. IMHO, that's where one should start .

I agree with everything you all are saying. Just wanted to see if anyone had tried it and what their results were. I would never do a diet like this, but have heard of lots of people here doing it and it is not cheap, but they are getting results, probably from eating nothing for months. I imagine the minute they start eating normally again, the weight will come back. Eat less and exercise is the only way.

I just checked out the information on this diet with the Dr. Oz website:

www.doctoroz.com/videos/hcg-diet

Anyone contemplating this route should read the information. It sounds like another "quick" solution that comes with a high toll. No way could it be good for you. <_<

I personally have seven friends aged 25 - 67 that recently tried the HOMEOPATHIC HCG DROPS -- no injections -- and lost a LOT of weight in a short time. I don't remember exactly, but they said they lost 1-2 lbs per day. All seven said the 500 calorie diet was just for 3 weeks, and they were not at all hungry (unless they forgot to take the drops)and they felt great on the diet, not like they were "starving," as they thought they'd be on just 500 calories. They said it wasn't expensive; about 40 dollars for the 3-week supply. I was told the injection route is VERY expensive. There is a LOT on the web about this diet. Just Google HCG for the original version (injections OR drops) or Google HHCG for the homeopathic version. As to how healthy a diet it is, I don't know. I'd recommend researching thoroughly before doing it.

You might want to ask Lauri Jenson, the new owner of 60's In Paradise - they have a separate menu for people who are on the HCG Diet and she seems very knowledgeable. We personally have 2 friends (Lakeside) who have used the diet very successfully to lose weight. They claim that you're never hungry and the pounds just drop away. They've both used the drops.

You might want to ask Lauri Jenson, the new owner of 60's In Paradise - they have a separate menu for people who are on the HCG Diet and she seems very knowledgeable. We personally have 2 friends (Lakeside) who have used the diet very successfully to lose weight. They claim that you're never hungry and the pounds just drop away. They've both used the drops.

Lauri herself was on the diet, runs the meetings for Dr. Aceves for those on the diet and hence is cooking food for others on the diet.

What exactly is in the HCG injections and drops? What does HCG stand for?

Does anyone know what they are injecting into their bodies or dropping into their mouths?

A couple of years ago here there was a patch, a few years before that there was Phen Phen that had a propensity to destroy heart valves.

Eat better or less, expend more energy. . .problem solved.

HCG is Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Weight loss

A controversial usage of hCG is as an adjunct to the British endocrinologist Albert T. W. Simeons' ultra-low-calorie weight-loss diet (less than 500 calories). Simeons, while studying pregnant women in India on a calorie-deficient diet, and “fat boys” with pituitary problems (Frölich's syndrome) treated with low-dose hCG, claimed that both lost fat rather than lean (muscle) tissue. He reasoned that hCG must be programming the hypothalamus to do this in the former cases in order to protect the developing fetus by promoting mobilization and consumption of abnormal, excessive adipose deposits. Simeons, practicing at Salvator Mundi International Hospital in Rome, Italy, recommended low-dose daily hCG injections (125 IU) in combination with a customized ultra-low-calorie (500 cal/day, high-protein, low-carbohydrate/fat) diet loss of adipose tissue without loss of lean tissue. After Simeons’ death, the diet started to spread to specialized centers and via popularization by individuals, such as the controversial author Kevin Trudeau, famous for promotion of alternative therapies and treatments.

The controversy proceeds from warnings by the Journal of the American Medical Association and the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition[15] that hCG is neither safe, nor effective as a weight-loss aid.[16] However, recent studies in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism show hCG can have an effect on the lean body mass of older men with androgen deficiency.[17]

A meta analysis found that studies supporting hCG for weight loss were of poor methodological quality and concluded that "there is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss or fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being"."

I looked into this for weight loss and was advised by both my general practitioner and cardiologist that I should not do the HCG diet. Perhaps when one is younger and in better health, it might not be a problem. For me, I'll do weight loss the slower way.

I was among the first people to do this diet in

August last year. I choose to do injections but some used the homeopathic drops.

I lost 25 pounds, didn't starve, didn't die and neither did the dozen or so other people

in my group at that time!

I received the ultimate support from Dr Aceves, (he gave us his cell #)

plus Lori and Cathy hold support meetings every Thursday at

60's in Paradise at 2pm.

I highly support the HCG diet, but I also highly recommend consulting with a doctor

and using common sense when it comes to dieting! I did my research before using this diet.

Archived