Chapala.com Webboard

Polite Spanish

lakeheron

• 2 weeks later...

I googled "Mexican street Spanish" and came up with several sites. Here is one of them and there are suggestions for more sites there. Personally I bought books on the topic in the US years ago and recently sold a couple of them.

http://www.study-spanish-language.com/mexican-slang.htm

This site is kinda lame...I can't imagine anyone actually saying " Tu mama es muy padre" and more often you would hear "es una buena onda" but not "tiene una buena onda" although that would not be incorrect if you intended to say " he HAS a good vibe.

The best slang sites are the ones that are in Spanish for Spanish speakers, but they can get really raunchy.

www.scribd.com is where I go to look up slang and modismos when I am too embarrased to ask... some of it is not very polite but it is pretty acurate for the most part.

This site is kinda lame...I can't imagine anyone actually saying " Tu mama es muy padre" and more often you would hear "es una buena onda" but not "tiene una buena onda" although that would not be incorrect if you intended to say " he HAS a good vibe.

The best slang sites are the ones that are in Spanish for Spanish speakers, but they can get really raunchy.

www.scribd.com is where I go to look up slang and modismos when I am too embarrased to ask... some of it is not very polite but it is pretty acurate for the most part.

In certain Mexican states you would hear all of those phrases all time time. E.g., in Sinaloa. But I have heard them all here also.

I hear those phrases and pretty much all listed there all of the time here in mexico state, when I lived up in northern mexico I did not.

One thing they say guey means dude, that's not what it means although some use it that way with friends.

I hear those phrases and pretty much all listed there all of the time here in mexico state, when I lived up in northern mexico I did not.

One thing they say guey means dude, that's not what it means although some use it that way with friends.

Guey or buey (both are heard) literally is a castrated ox. But guys use it among themselves to mean dude. Go figure.

Guey or buey (both are heard) literally is a castrated ox. But guys use it among themselves to mean dude. Go figure.

Yep, some use it to mean that but it doesn't really. Someone who's wife is cheating on them is called guey, meaning they are like the ox. Not a man. The "guey" also grows horns. The symbol (usually done behind the guey's back) is the index and little finger extended like horns So don't call someone you don't know VERY well guey, they will take it VERY personal.

Here is a definition that fits well:

guey

The Mexican slang address “Güey” or "guey" always, with a smirk, means “cuckold,” which is the only word in English that labels the man whose woman cheats on him. In Mexican Spanish, a man’s unfaithful wife or girlfriend causes horns to grow upon his head, which only he cannot see. There the word connects with “Buey” or oxen, and serves as the root for the popular song “El Venado” about a man who grows horns.

The song es "el venao" and here it is:

Archived