Chapala.com Webboard

2 Spoon's Cafe

jwgibson

We stopped yesterday and had a cold beer and then went back for dinner. It was very quiet much to our surprise as this is a very nice and pleasant place to have dinner. My husband had the French Onion soup and commented that it was wonderful even better then Roberto's who has very good food. I finally got a tuna fish sandwich just the way my Mom made it for me when I was growing up.

This is a new cafe but well worth the stop for a late lunch or dinner. Very clean, not over the top for decorations but very nicely done. I would recommend this cafe to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been reading about this cafe and so tried it today with a couple of friends. We all left hungry. The two gentlemen got chicken dishes ... there was maybe 1/2 of a chicken breast a few vegetables and a small portion of rice for $90.00 pesos. One ordered a salad which when it arrived consisted of 3 extremely thin slices of tomato, 3 thin slices of avocado and an extremely skimpy dusting of feta cheese...$45.00 pesos. I ordered the ribs ... there were 5 small ribs with gristle, bone and some meat in a watered down sauce along with a very small portion of lettuce and tomato served on the same plate sitting in the warm, watered down sauce that the ribs were sitting in .... this was also $90.00 pesos, I believe. We had read that the onion soup was wonderful, which it may be but they were out of the soup. If the soup is the only thing that this restaurant has going for it there may be a problem with it staying in business as there is much better food in the area for the same or less cost. This is only 4 persons opinion, however.

We have been reading about this cafe and so tried it today with a couple of friends. We all left hungry. The two gentlemen got chicken dishes ... there was maybe 1/2 of a chicken breast a few vegetables and a small portion of rice for $90.00 pesos. One ordered a salad which when it arrived consisted of 3 extremely thin slices of tomato, 3 thin slices of avocado and an extremely skimpy dusting of feta cheese...$45.00 pesos. I ordered the ribs ... there were 5 small ribs with gristle, bone and some meat in a watered down sauce along with a very small portion of lettuce and tomato served on the same plate sitting in the warm, watered down sauce that the ribs were sitting in .... this was also $90.00 pesos, I believe. We had read that the onion soup was wonderful, which it may be but they were out of the soup. If the soup is the only thing that this restaurant has going for it there may be a problem with it staying in business as there is much better food in the area for the same or less cost. This is only 4 persons opinion, however.

Wow!!!! I could have written your post myself. We stopped by yesterday at 6 specifically for the soup. Tell me this, if they had no soup, then why was it still on the chalkboard menu outside? (hint hint, they want u to come in and then bait and switch you) We decided to eat there anyway. Won't make that mistake again. I ordered a glass of wine and when it came I told my wife "I can spit more than what's in this glass" I told the waiter to take it back and he went and got the bottle and poured some more. Is this an admission that they do, indeed, short pour? Well, the rest of this post has already been written above, so there is no need to go on. Oh, but there is. If this "Two Spoons" place wants to make it here in Ajijic, changes must be made. Ya know, on second thought, leave it just the way it is. Maybe the next place will have gotten the message. I say "Closed By September"

Very similar experience last week, no soup, short pour not only the first time but the second and third too, and unlikable food, really unlikable and uncomoftable seating. Too bad because I had hoped it would be a fun gathering place for early evening because it looks really nice. But as we know looks aren't everything.

As for the tendency to short pour I am about ready to start carrying a flask in my pocketbook again. As long as I buy a bottle of red for dinner and pay for agua mineral for my scotch I figure what the heck all they can do is complain. Last bottle of aqua mineral I bought was 18 pesos, the small glass bottle, at Min Wahs and at lunch yesterday we paid 20 peoso for each glass of regular iced tea. I am pretty understanding but those two things and the 45 pesos wine shortpour tendencies is getting old.

Wow!!!! I could have written your post myself. We stopped by yesterday at 6 specifically for the soup. Tell me this, if they had no soup, then why was it still on the chalkboard menu outside? (hint hint, they want u to come in and then bait and switch you) We decided to eat there anyway. Won't make that mistake again. I ordered a glass of wine and when it came I told my wife "I can spit more than what's in this glass" I told the waiter to take it back and he went and got the bottle and poured some more. Is this an admission that they do, indeed, short pour? Well, the rest of this post has already been written above, so there is no need to go on. Oh, but there is. If this "Two Spoons" place wants to make it here in Ajijic, changes must be made. Ya know, on second thought, leave it just the way it is. Maybe the next place will have gotten the message. I say "Closed By September"

We concur! They are very good at keeping their name in front of us, but if the product continues, ADIOS!

The interesting thing about restaurants is that there is no shortage of opinions about each and every one of them.

We have been to Two Spoons several times and it has become one of our absolute favorites. We have enjoyed everything we have ever ordered and think the prices are quite reasonable for what we have been served. No problems at all with quantity or quality of food or drinks.

We will definitely continue to go there. Nice people, nice location, good food, good service, reasonable prices - in our opinion.

The chairs could be a bit more comfortable but are just fine for the hour or so we spend there.

Obviously others have not had the same positive experience. I guess that is why there are so many restaurants in the world. Something for everyone - but not the same for all of us. Getting hungry - might go there tonight!

The interesting thing about restaurants is that there is no shortage of opinions about each and every one of them.

We have been to Two Spoons several times and it has become one of our absolute favorites. We have enjoyed everything we have ever ordered and think the prices are quite reasonable for what we have been served. No problems at all with quantity or quality of food or drinks.

We will definitely continue to go there. Nice people, nice location, good food, good service, reasonable prices - in our opinion.

The chairs could be a bit more comfortable but are just fine for the hour or so we spend there.

Obviously others have not had the same positive experience. I guess that is why there are so many restaurants in the world. Something for everyone - but not the same for all of us. Getting hungry - might go there tonight!

Yes, the huge beverage glass the use and not much in them. If you order a mixed drink, its all mix. Better to bring a flask to add to it. I once complained that they forgot the vodka and they made it MUCH better.

I guess I have been lucky. I have been in 3 times for their onion soup and gotten it every time. The people who ordered after us the last were not so lucky. My friend and I got the last of it. They were making more but said it would take an hour.

The soup was wonderful. I rarely drink so I can't comment on drinks.

I was looking forward to the onion soup and will try stopping in again for it.

We don't drink at home so going out for cocktails, dinner and wine and after drinks is a conscious decision and a very nice part of our living here. Its wonderful to decide at 4 call people and roust out a crowd at to start someplace at 6 and then go on to dinner another. Spoons with its nice decor and later hours seemed to be a good place for after dinner,however its likely it won't pass muster because of the short pours.

Love the place! Clean, cute and inviting. Staff is always pleasant (I've been 4 or 5 times already) and the food is great. I chuckle about the remarks regarding short pours... Ask for a jig pour and then complain? The wine glasses are large and filled minimally at the half way mark or so. For you big time drinkers, those that enjoy getting goofy while having dinner, try emptying your stashed bottle of Padre Kino before stopping in. The onion soup is as good as I've had in France, the cream of the day has been equally good. If you want to gorge yourself, might I suggest a run to the border and Luby's Cafeteria in Texas. Silly silly people....

Love the place! Clean, cute and inviting. Staff is always pleasant (I've been 4 or 5 times already) and the food is great. I chuckle about the remarks regarding short pours... Ask for a jig pour and then complain? The wine glasses are large and filled minimally at the half way mark or so. For you big time drinkers, those that enjoy getting goofy while having dinner, try emptying your stashed bottle of Padre Kino before stopping in. The onion soup is as good as I've had in France, the cream of the day has been equally good. If you want to gorge yourself, might I suggest a run to the border and Luby's Cafeteria in Texas. Silly silly people....

Okay, I was just going to let all those comments go, until I got to the one about: "The onion soup is as good as I've had in France". Either the French make lousy French onion soup, or you've eaten in some pretty low places. Their soup is good, but that's it. And really it's only good in comparison to what's available lakeside.

By the way, what's a "jig pour"?

And Luby's? I hope you're referring to how awful it can be.

I think the remark of "silly silly people" covers Blondiegal's opinion. I've never eaten at Luby's, but I suppose it is the quintessential "stuff your face" U.S. restaurant.

I'm not referring to this poster in particular since others do the same number, but I don't have much patience with people who feel it necessary to put down other people who don't agree with them about food in restaurants.

We all eat, so we are all "food critics" on a basic level. Since this is a remote outpost on the planet which is not likely to attract world-class chefs (who'd expect higher pay) and which caters to some very thrifty (or downright cheapo) customers........my expectations are fairly low.

Another point is that there are people living here whose tastes developed in regions of the U.S. and elsewhere where deep fry and grease-based food are all there is. Others grew up in the big cities of the East and West coasts and have other desires. Nothing wrong with either group: just different.

So, Onion soup is the hot item on the menu at Two Spoons. (Better than France? Hmmm) One of the chief complaints seems to be that they don't always have it. What good reason could there be for not having the house favorite on hand? No onions in town? What? Now that is my idea of a legitimate complaint.

Okay, I was just going to let all those comments go, until I got to the one about: "The onion soup is as good as I've had in France". Either the French make lousy French onion soup, or you've eaten in some pretty low places. Their soup is good, but that's it. And really it's only good in comparison to what's available lakeside.

The taste of the onion soup comes from the broth, some people make good broth and some make lousy ones wether here or in France. In France we use yellow oions not white onions another difference in the taste but really it is all in the beef broth and it does not take any "chef" to make a good one just someone with tastebuds.

Jigger:

Jigger or measure, a bartending tool used to measure liquor, which is typically then poured into a cocktail glass or shaker.

Luby's: Your kinda place. Gorge on pre-made flash frozen food, heated to the "food connoisseurs" desired level of leather like texture.

France: Are you serious? "Low" restaurants? Let me guess, you still call the French "frogs"?

Silly silly....

Jigger:

Jigger or measure, a bartending tool used to measure liquor, which is typically then poured into a cocktail glass or shaker.

Luby's: Your kinda place. Gorge on pre-made flash frozen food, heated to the "food connoisseurs" desired level of leather like texture.

France: Are you serious? "Low" restaurants? Let me guess, you still call the French "frogs"?

Silly silly....

Oh, dear, here we go. You either don't read the posts, or prefer not to understand, I guess. You said "jig pour". If that's 'tender slang for pouring a jigger, ok. But you said in your post "Ask for a jig pour and then complain?" I see nowhere in the original posts anything about asking for that; I see comments about short pours. Big difference. More than a jigger's worth.

Luby's: why my kinda place? I'm pretty sure my comment suggested that Luby's is "pretty awful". Why, yes, gosh: there it is, same phrase, referring to your post about people gorging themselves, which was your not-at-all-subtle commentary on the eating habits of the original poster.

And "low restaurants" is a question to you, in response to your comment that the onion soup "is as good as I've had in France". My perhaps not subtle way of saying then perhaps you've never had really good onion soup (perhaps because you didn't actually manage to find any good restaurants in France, which would be pretty shocking for anybody). The soup at Two Spoons was very good, but I can make it better blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back. But it is entertaining that you managed to take my comment on your tastebuds, and turn it into a slur.

I think the remark of "silly silly people" covers Blondiegal's opinion. I've never eaten at Luby's, but I suppose it is the quintessential "stuff your face" U.S. restaurant.

I'm not referring to this poster in particular since others do the same number, but I don't have much patience with people who feel it necessary to put down other people who don't agree with them about food in restaurants.

We all eat, so we are all "food critics" on a basic level. Since this is a remote outpost on the planet which is not likely to attract world-class chefs (who'd expect higher pay) and which caters to some very thrifty (or downright cheapo) customers........my expectations are fairly low.

Another point is that there are people living here whose tastes developed in regions of the U.S. and elsewhere where deep fry and grease-based food are all there is. Others grew up in the big cities of the East and West coasts and have other desires. Nothing wrong with either group: just different.

So, Onion soup is the hot item on the menu at Two Spoons. (Better than France? Hmmm) One of the chief complaints seems to be that they don't always have it. What good reason could there be for not having the house favorite on hand? No onions in town? What? Now that is my idea of a legitimate complaint.

Gringal, perhaps you're correct. In re-reading my post, I see how it would be taken negatively. My apologies; just couldn't figure out another way to say that if that soup is as good as France's soup, then that person must not have had very many opportunities to sample great French onion soup. It is negative, but it wasn't meant to be personal. On the other hand, since she fired a broadside at me, how can I resist having some fun here.

Gringal, perhaps you're correct. In re-reading my post, I see how it would be taken negatively. My apologies; just couldn't figure out another way to say that if that soup is as good as France's soup, then that person must not have had very many opportunities to sample great French onion soup. It is negative, but it wasn't meant to be personal. On the other hand, since she fired a broadside at me, how can I resist having some fun here.

Rock On Monitor, I am surprised that gringal, with all her silly silly snootiness, didn't say "If they don't like the soup, then let them eat cake" What she is saying, I believe is that ALL the restaurants in france are top notch. My answer would be "Are all the restaurants ANYWHERE top notch? All the restaurants here are not "top notch" and Two Spoons is valid proof of that. Silly Girl.......

I am surprised that gringal, with all her silly silly snootiness, didn't say "If they don't like the soup, then let them eat cake.

Wow. That's a wild stretch, and I don't get the cause for that level of snarkiness. I not only didn't say that, I wouldn't, since it isn't true. Good French onion soup is delicious, both in France and anywhere else that their taste buds aren't dead and the cook knows what he or she is doing. Whether Two Spoons is better than France is a matter of opinion, and of the restaurant where you ate it. Whoever you are, read the post before hauling out the assumptions....and the Insultomgrams. <_< Who needs it?

Gringal didn't say it, but let me... If you don't like the soup, eat cake... SOMEWHERE ELSE. It's a shame that people so easily post rude comments about a persons attempt to provide something new at lakeside, restaurant or anything else for that matter. Where are your manners!. It's simple folks, if you don't like it, don't go there, but don't trash the effort of the people behind the name of a new business who are just trying to give you all something different with the hope that you will enjoy it. Take however you want my original post, a Jigger or Jig is 1.5 ounces of alcohol, it's plenty in a drink, and like many bars/restaurants Two Spoons does a free pour, if it isn't or wasn't to your liking why didn't you ask them for more instead of coming here whining about a short pour. How can these people on a web board give you the drink you wanted? Two Spoons is new, how nasty and petty of you to not give them a chance. Try letting people form their own opinions for a change!

Whats the old saying?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.....

Again, you are making up responses to comments that don't exist. And you seem to have forgotten, I'm not the OP.

It amazes me the people who hang around here just waiting for a chance to jump down someone else's throat. This holier-than-thou attitude is always simmering just below the surface. And it's always the same people. I'm done.

Why all this nastiness? We're talking soup here, people, not world peace or politics. <_<

You all make my head hurt - especially since one of our favorite places to eat is 2 Spoons. They do a wonderful job for our tastes and we think they're great folks as well.

Archived