Chapala.com Webboard

Alabama joins Arizona

solajijic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_immigration_law

It will be interesting to see the challenges to this one given the separation of infractions. There is similar movement toward state law like this in Ohio, Michigan and the Carolinas.

The immigration laws should be directed at the employers. If illegal immigrants can't get jobs they will not come into the US to find work. It is ridiculous to complain about illegal immigration if no one punishes the employers!

The immigration laws should be directed at the employers. If illegal immigrants can't get jobs they will not come into the US to find work. It is ridiculous to complain about illegal immigration if no one punishes the employers!

I've always wondered why the Federal Government set up e-verify (using my tax dollars) and made it a voluntary program for employers.

All Arizona wants to do is make it a requirement and establish penalties if employers do not check all new employees through e-verify (note: current employees are not included in this). I guess Alabama also thinks this is a good idea.

I've always wondered why the Federal Government set up e-verify (using my tax dollars) and made it a voluntary program for employers.

All Arizona wants to do is make it a requirement and establish penalties if employers do not check all new employees through e-verify (note: current employees are not included in this). I guess Alabama also thinks this is a good idea.

It should not be a fine for the employers, it should be a crime to have illegal workers as well and then watch the Immigration Laws change in a hurry.

The refusal to face the situation by the States is shameful. The States need cheap labor so give visa to people who are needed to do the work. Do not make their life miserable because they are needed and for God sake do not pick on the kids, they are the innocent victims of bad policies. Arizona, Albama and other States are putting on bad bandaids on a huge problem making sure to cultivate the blame it on the immigrant attitude. It is pathetic and does not solve any problems.

As an aside I have spent a lot of time this year to get an artisan a touris/business visa B1/B2 to go to a fair this summer as well as getting a visa for a child to go with us on a visit to the US. The red tape is insane. The questions asked to obtain a tourist visa for a few weeks are downright $%&/()ic.

Are you a spy??? Did you ever work as a prostitute?? Are you a terrorist etc..... Do you have a close member of the family living in the States, do you have any relative living in the States? Of course if you answer yes to any of the questions you are then questioned about it and then refused entry for fear you will stay..

I remember asking what kind of person would answer yes? I was told no one answers yes but if found out later on that the answer was a lie it can be used to kick you out of the country....

What kind of questions is that to ask someone who want to go there for a couple of weeks to see the Grand Canyon or for an artisan to go there for a week fair.The child broke in tears when we ran out of time and as a result will not be able to take him with us this year. It was a sad scene for everyone involved.

Getting a visa even for a week or so is a time consuming, frustrating costly affair. As anyone tried to speak to anyone at the visa department at the US Consulate in Guadalajara? Humans seem to have disappeared.

The artisan I helped was from Chiapas and he had to pay 140 non refundable dollars as well as take a two day trip to Mexico City for two interviews and have a letter from the Mayor of Santa Fe saying his presence in Santa Fe for a week would not take jobs away from US citizens.

He has to go through the same drill next year when he wants to go again. Is this insane or what?The whole thing is degrading and insane, no wonder people walk accross, if it is that much of a pain to get a visa for a visit , can you imagine getting a work visa? It is truly insane.

I am from a country where I do not have to have a visa to visit, only a permit from Homeland Security. Europeans do not overstay or work illegally or lie on the application? Since when?

The whole process makes you feel like an unwanted guest it is shameful the way people who want to visit as tourists are treated

Cannot agree with that: it's one symptom of an overall policy of intolerance, couched in rhetoric.

Archived