Chapala.com Webboard

You like sea bass

Monitor

Another thread indicated several people like bass. There is a huge discrepancy in bass pricing at the local fish markets, depending on whether it's called "bass" or "Chilean bass", among other types. And many restaurants here will simply tell you "bass" when you ask what kind of whitefish is on your plate. After buying the expensive version, I did some Googling and found that bass is one of the most widely counterfeited and over-fished types of marine life.

Then last weekend, the NY Times posted this article about how widespread fish counterfeiting has become. (Based on a report from Oceania about "Seafood Fraud", Oceana being a non-profit "working solely to protect the world's oceans".)

Another thread indicated several people like bass. There is a huge discrepancy in bass pricing at the local fish markets, depending on whether it's called "bass" or "Chilean bass", among other types. And many restaurants here will simply tell you "bass" when you ask what kind of whitefish is on your plate. After buying the expensive version, I did some Googling and found that bass is one of the most widely counterfeited and over-fished types of marine life.

Then last weekend, the NY Times posted this article about how widespread fish counterfeiting has become. (Based on a report from Oceania about "Seafood Fraud".

But, on a purely practical level: You go to a restaurant and are handed a menu with "sea bass" listed. At this point, should you start questioning the pedigree with the waiter or the owner.....who probably doesn't know....or what?

Around here, "sea bass" is just used to identify a white fish (who knows what kind?). To me "Chilean Sea Bass" is the thick, buttery delicacy that I haven't honestly seen for several years. It became extremely popular in the 90's and then was totally overfished, almost to extinction. Then a huge campaign not to buy it if you have any kind of environmental ethics. Back then, it was priced at around $12 U.S. per pound. They sell it frozen at Costco for a ridiculous price - maybe authentic - or not...

But, on a purely practical level: You go to a restaurant and are handed a menu with "sea bass" listed. At this point, should you start questioning the pedigree with the waiter or the owner.....who probably doesn't know....or what?

Virtually all restaurants here just say "fish" on the menu (except for salmon,which is usually listed by name). You have to ask the waiter what kind of fish it is. They might or might not know. And the fish is usually buried in a sauce so you can't see what it is anyway, even if you knew the difference.

Wasn't questioning what they might or might not serve in Mexico, and it usually isn't identified. Just wanted to point out what's happening, and that article covers the U.S. in particular. I often ask, but that doesn't decide whether I will order it or not. I just would sorta like to know. The number of times they say "bass" or "sea bass" (especially with that troubled look on their faces) indicates to me that they probably don't know, and I don't care, as long as they don't say "dead catfish shipped two weeks ago in a non-refrigerated, open air truck".

I paid quadruple for the "Chilean sea bass" locally a few months ago, and it wasn't the buttery, flakey experience I was looking for. But I didn't go back and complain, because the fish was otherwise just fine. It did start me on my quest, however.

I didn't inquire about its home town, but the sea bass de Abuela (?) at La Vina is the best fish of any kind I've had around here. Yum. :P

And I believe that today is "all you can eat catfish" at Bubba's. I assume it's dead. Live on the plate is creepy. But arrived there on ice would be nice.

Archived