Chapala.com Webboard

YVES is back, with cool breezes served

gringal

Yves restaurant on the lakefront is back from vacation, and it's gotta be the coolest place in town for lunch. Just returned from there: it was a nice change from our overheated bricks casa.

As usual, the food was good and the staff friendly.

Lunch menu around 55 pesos (without salad bar) Around 95 with. Parking at the park (bottom of Colon) nearby in the shade. Such a deal. :020:

Yves restaurant on the lakefront is back from vacation, and it's gotta be the coolest place in town for lunch. Just returned from there: it was a nice change from our overheated bricks casa.

As usual, the food was good and the staff friendly.

Lunch menu around 55 pesos (without salad bar) Around 95 with. Parking at the park (bottom of Colon) nearby in the shade. Such a deal. :020:

Totally agree about Yves. I like the lunch special which is an ample portion of Tortilla soup and the chicken parmagiano wrap.

• 1 month later...

I was at Yves at about 11:40. Friends were there even earlier. The waiter never asked for drink orders until almost 11:50 We could not order lunch until 12:00 we were told as the drink orders were taken.

We finally ordered food at 12:oo. Some of us got our food ant 12:40 and others at our table five 0r ten minutes later.

Not even bread was put on the table until a few minutes before the first group of meals were served. The food was no better than ok.

Never again!

Hope there's not an inconsistency problem here. Four of us went to dinner there last Thursday. Service was impeccable, salad bar was fresh and crisp, entres were prompt and tasty. One of us ordered liver cooked rare and it was not done correctly. The dish was promptly removed and redone quickly, correct the second time.

Cool breezes and great views as gringal noted. My spouse had the rib eye, I had arrachera. With two glasses of competent house wine each, the total bill with tip came to 510 pesos. Not cheap but not outrageous either, especially for such a pleasant dining experience.

I was there yesterday at the time the large group arrived. We came before 11:30 to avoid the rush from the LCS Open Circle group who often arrive shortly after that. The group drifted in over a period of 30 minutes or more. Seems to me that when people make a reservation for a large group, they should specify breakfast or lunch so the kitchen can get prepared. (home fries or french fries, etc.) The place was packed and the kitchen staff was doing their best to deal with a situation where there are usually much fewer people staggered into smaller groups.

IMO, Yves would not be a good choice for a large group on a busy Sunday morning. Roberto's brunch is better set up for that since those huge plates of appetizers and salads are all ready to go when diners arrive, so no one goes hungry while waiting. They have a dedicated bartender and more than two waiters. Yves is best for lunch or dinner with a small group, or for a couple. We live nearby, so we go often during the week. The food is not exactly "gourmet dining" at lunch, but the lunches run from 55 pesos up for a substantial and tasty meal. Example: large burrito with chicken or beef; rice and beans. 55 pesos. Parmesan chicken wrap with Aztec soup; same. In the "meh" categody: chicken burger with tough chicken.

Can't speak for dinner: only been there twice for that, and it was fine. Good fish.

"Ya gotta judge a dog in its class" (Anonymouse) :020:

All of the group arrived together except me. I was the last of the group to arrive (two people joined us ten minutes after I arrived who we invited to join us as no food or drink orders had been taken.). The earliest arrivals sat for an hour without bread on the table and waited 1/2 hour before any order for anything was taken. This is unacceptable service. There should have been no reason to let them know in advance if we want breakfast or lunch. The group split between both.

This is a group that goes to brunch every Sunday and goes to different places each week.

We have never run into this before including small places and places as crowded as Tony's. Even Dona Lola provides better service and offers you whichever menu you want even though it is very busy on Sundays and manages with only two waiters.

I wasn't crazy about Yves before but I can assure you it will not see me or any of the others I was was with again.

We had reservations so they knew we were coming.

We've also given up on Yves' Restaurant, for the same reasons; mediocre food and terrible service.

If a restaurant has ten tables, it must be prepared to service ten tables efficiently. If it can't do that, it deserves to fail, as it soon aggravates diners, most of whom will fail to return.

His 'shoestring' is too thin.

We've also given up on Yves' Restaurant, for the same reasons; mediocre food and terrible service.

If a restaurant has ten tables, it must be prepared to service ten tables efficiently. If it can't do that, it deserves to fail, as it soon aggravates diners, most of whom will fail to return.

His 'shoestring' is too thin.

Okay, okay.........I have to admit it. Things could be better. I guess I'm just a real sucker for the lakeside dining aspect of it and would hate to see it close.

Okay, okay.........I have to admit it. Things could be better. I guess I'm just a real sucker for the lakeside dining aspect of it and would hate to see it close.

===========================================================

Agree with your last comment, Gringal. Haven't been there yet this year, but did last year and it was fine. I hope someone who knows the owner will call her/his attention to this thread. One sure killer of restaurants Lakeside is inconsistency of either food or service.

Archived