Chapala.com Webboard

AJIJIC TANGO........MUSIC?

gringal

Ajijic Tango has reopened, so we headed over there for lunch. As always, the food was good.

HOWEVER, also as always, they were playing recorded "techno rock" or whatever it is, for the benefit of the lunchers (or the waiters). Prior to around 2 pm, it's the older crowd eating there. Can somebody please explain why this music(?) is selected as background for dining?

Ajijic Tango has reopened, so we headed over there for lunch. As always, the food was good.

HOWEVER, also as always, they were playing recorded "techno rock" or whatever it is, for the benefit of the lunchers (or the waiters). Prior to around 2 pm, it's the older crowd eating there. Can somebody please explain why this music(?) is selected as background for dining?

Remember a couple of years ago, when every restaurant in town decided that the way to draw a crowd was to hire musicians... all day long. You couldn't even talk at Salvadore's over the harp music at lunch.

Thank heavens these restaurants saw the error of their ways and realized that people enjoy good conversation with friends when dining out. Not only were we able to talk with one another again - they were also able to save themselves some money when they didn't have to pay for music! I remember times I jsut sat and smiled and nodded to the person speaking to me. I coudn't hear a word they were saying - and I still have good hearing! We stopped going to the places with loud music. If we wanted loud music, we could just stay home and turn up our stereo!

Thank heavens these restaurants saw the error of their ways and realized that people enjoy good conversation with friends when dining out. Not only were we able to talk with one another again - they were also able to save themselves some money when they didn't have to pay for music! I remember times I jsut sat and smiled and nodded to the person speaking to me. I coudn't hear a word they were saying - and I still have good hearing! We stopped going to the places with loud music. If we wanted loud music, we could just stay home and turn up our stereo!

I agree. My problem with Tango's recorded "background music" is what they are selecting (maybe suitable for a Guad disco) and the volume they often turn it up to. They do turn it down if requested, but it's still not pleasant to listen to. Booom bah ah, boom bah ah........and on and on and on. For an example of "pleasant", I'd suggest Yves or Roberto's. Low enough volume to hear your dinner companions, or yourself think.

Archived