Chapala.com Webboard

Strom White Movers

For anyone considering shipping their household contents here from Canada, we would strongly recommend Strom White. They arranged absolutely everything. All our items in Canada were professionally wrapped and packed and the quote they provided proved to be right on. All of our things arrived safely in record time and nothing, not one thing arrived damaged. We were thrilled with the service we received from Doug & Teresa White, their staff was friendly and took great care!

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend their services to anyone considering such an undertaking.

Cheers, nice to finally be here and settled.

G&L

Teresa at Strom held my hand through the whole process. She even sent someone up to the island where I was living to be able to get an estimate of what would be shipped, volume wise. She was very patient with all my questions, especially when I was working on the electrical inventory.

I recommend them without any reservation. Veronica in the office is a real plus!

I've had no experience with the present owners, but if they are anything like Doug Strom and his wife, they have my vote.

uj

do they have the same reputation on northbound shipments?

Doug and his wife moved me back to Monana in 2005. After the death of my wife I was in no condition to deal with, or put up with any BS or Gunsmoke. Doug came in and wrapped my leather chairs and auto seats, grabbed all my prepacked boxes and some furniture and was out of there in about 2 hours.

Two weeks later my container showed up in Bozeman and not a thing was broken or scratched.

uj

Doug and his wife moved me back to Monana in 2005. After the death of my wife I was in no condition to deal with, or put up with any BS or Gunsmoke. Doug came in and wrapped my leather chairs and auto seats, grabbed all my prepacked boxes and some furniture and was out of there in about 2 hours.

Two weeks later my container showed up in Bozeman and not a thing was broken or scratched.

uj

That's good to know,thanks.

We have some friends who recently left Colima for Seattle. Their mover increased their price three times after the pick-up and the price is now about double the original estimate. It's been a month and they still haven't seen their stuff.

Very..very happy with Doug White and the Strom team. We packed a crate of art and valuable to go back to the US...received it in less than three weeks...everything was perfect. Very impressed with this company and it's service.

They are superb at their business, (estimating/guideance/etc. but...

The packers and loaders may do a fine job but there's nothing you can know or say or do if the moving contractor decides (or must) repack/reload your stuff from a smaller truck/van onto/into lift vans and/or different trucks. I don't know if the guys that do the repack/load/reload work are professionals or temp workers. I do know that several items arrived broken. Strom had no physical part in the leaving the origin work - only a contractual one and who knows what those contracts say. I cannot say when the pieces were broken (origin-pack-load/reload/transfer/unload/transfer-to-destination - only that they arrived that way.

Strom seems to have good folks to assess and repair damages - but it's not a happy experience to see irreplaceable items in pieces.

I suggest that Strom be contractually obligated to have someone representing their reputation and our/your items present at any unload/repack point.

We used them also when we moved here but ended up paying $3500 USD more since Mayflower under estimated our load, but that wasn't Strom's fault Iguess. If you want your stuff you will pay.

• 4 years later...

DO NOT USE THIS MOVER. We spent 10k to move us from LA to Patzcuaro. The good news is everything that made it was packed very well and nothing was damaged. The bad news is 20% of our shipment is missing. All of our clothes and my wife's lifetime book collection (6 boxes) of Mexican folk art and much more. The delivery guys were a construction worker and his son who had not started school. They hired in Patzcuaro a truck taxis driver and his brother to bring up our belongings up the small one way street to our house. Hardly 10k professionals. They rushed my wife due to traffic backed up and there was no way to account for what was unloaded. Then the worked were hungery and wanted to leave. "just sign off on the delivery, you have 8 days to report a problem." Our mistake. no one can find the rest of our load. We took no insurance as very little was breakable. As you can see we have no reason to not tell the truth since we can't file a claim. We just want of property back. We are told we are SOL since we signed off.

BEWARE

I can give my recommendation for Strom White. They coordinated a very complicated move with items from our home in Asia and storage items in FL. Everything arrived, all intact, in a timely manner.

I strongly recommend insurance for every move. We had it and did not need it.

I am sorry the previous poster felt rushed and therefore lost items of value to them. With no insurance, they are correct that you have no recourse.

I have moved all over the world and ALWAYS have purchased insurance. It is not just for breakables - it for replacement value of insured items, for loss or delay, etc.

We always have had a copy of the invoices with numbered boxes and we check every box as it is unloaded, and if possible, as it is unpacked. This is something that I, as owner of the items must do, as it is my responsibility to maintain control.

It may sound harsh, but after 41+ years as an elementary teacher, I will NOT be rushed and if the workers are hungry, too bad. I provide cold water and sometimes sodas and breaks, but we move at MY pace since they are MY things and I am the one who is in charge.

There is a nice tip to be had at the end of the day if I am happy with services, and I make them aware of that up front.

So far, 11 moves, transcontinental and transPacific, so good.

We had a very bad experience with Strom-White movers in our move from San Miguel de Allende to Ajijic. They subbed it out to a group of unequipped incompetents from Guadalajara, and there was damage. No compensation offered; just excuses. How does a mover "forget" to bring the requested furniture pads? Or a ramp to the truck? Or any clue about stacking art work? I would never recommend them. It's no crime to sub work out, but a company should know about the people they are using under their name and reputation. YMMV, as in all things.

I understand the other local movers are good, but I'd recommend Seymi. They handled our initial move to Mexico from the border after North American brought it that far. No damage and great service. They have a web site and an English speaking rep for those who need that.

Being the most expensive movers in Lakeside every move should be done professionally and without any problems. Of course, more people are satisfied than not. If that were not the case, they would be out of business. I have friends who had similar bad experiences with this company and the only thing they were offered was the run around.

If you decide to go with Strom-White, you might want to get a written agreement on their final price quote.

When our load arrived from Canada, they wouldn't release it until we coughed up a further two two thousand U.S. dollars.

The excuse was that they had underestimated the weight.

Good luck with your move.

It's been a while but we used Strom as well. Some stuff got broken, the insurance was worthless and nothing was done about the broken stuff. But what really rankled was after spending over 16 grand on their services, Doug White had the nerve to corner me outside the house and demand I tip his workers 200 pesos each for unloading. And it wasn't a request, he insisted on it.

I told him I had paid him more than plenty for this move and it was his job to pay his help. Contractors don't expect you to give fat tips to their workers, why should movers? Particularly given how costly these moves are.

I wouldn't use them again just on general principles. But I don't ever expect to need a mover again anyway.

Archived