Chapala.com Webboard

La Vina

stoneleigh

We went with 16 or so Friday night and had good food, excellent music and some sing-a-long with Jack Fallon. The majority ordered Sea Bass, which most liked and it was flaky and tender. Then I was told the salmon was excellent. And the ribs were really good. The house salad is huge, with lots of carrots and other veggies. The margaritas were powerful and the red wine better than most resturants serve. Service was slow but if we'd been just 4 of us it probably would have been at the tempo we wanted. We made reservations so they could be prepared. I think next time we do a large group I will encourage everyone to preorder with the reservation.

We, too, love the sea bass "a la abuela"--it is really spectacular, as are many of their other fish/shellfish dishes. I did an extensive post on La Viña mid-January in this forum, if you're interested in the particulars. Glad to know others are catching on to the place...it is often near empty, despite the location.

Where on Constitucion is La Vina and what are their hours.

the traveler

Good to know he's still up and running. I always liked his attitude and his cooking! We'll be sure to stop in and have a meal when we are there this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Four of us had lunch at La Vina yesterday.

We were seated in the garden, and it is my hope that the furniture will someday be replaced with something more comfortable, but I understand that he has to do first things first. In spite of the heat, it was pleasantly cool.

As others have mentioned, the chef/owner(?) is a charming young man and we were easily convinced that, for our first meal there, we should try the sea bass a la abuela. All four of us did, and it was outstanding.

We mopped those plates bare with the bread, since the sauce was far to good to waste a drop.

Nice pile of roasted potatoes and veggies done just right.

The downside: Most restaurants bring some kind of munchie shortly after seating you. In this case, we waited over 40 minutes for our first bite, and we were the only customers. Since it doesn't open until one, we were seriously hungry while we waited. The bread basket came with the entree. A little something up front would be nice. Tango, for instance, does this right, with the hot rolls. Roberto's brings more than one "something" shortly after seating diners. Tony's serves up good chips and salsas. And so on.

We didn't order any extras other than soft drinks. Our bill was 490 pesos for four people. Plus tip. Maybe a few "lunch specials" would attract more customers who would be back for dinners after discovering the place.

I hope this restaurant stays and prospers. The food is top notch. :020:

Four of us had lunch at La Vina yesterday.

We were seated in the garden, and it is my hope that the furniture will someday be replaced with something more comfortable, but I understand that he has to do first things first. In spite of the heat, it was pleasantly cool.

As others have mentioned, the chef/owner(?) is a charming young man and we were easily convinced that, for our first meal there, we should try the sea bass a la abuela. All four of us did, and it was outstanding.

We mopped those plates bare with the bread, since the sauce was far to good to waste a drop.

Nice pile of roasted potatoes and veggies done just right.

The downside: Most restaurants bring some kind of munchie shortly after seating you. In this case, we waited over 40 minutes for our first bite, and we were the only customers. Since it doesn't open until one, we were seriously hungry while we waited. The bread basket came with the entree. A little something up front would be nice. Tango, for instance, does this right, with the hot rolls. Roberto's brings more than one "something" shortly after seating diners. Tony's serves up good chips and salsas. And so on.

We didn't order any extras other than soft drinks. Our bill was 490 pesos for four people. Plus tip. Maybe a few "lunch specials" would attract more customers who would be back for dinners after discovering the place.

I hope this restaurant stays and prospers. The food is top notch. :020:

Anyone know if it is handicapped accessible? How close is parking, is it street parking? What are hours, days of operation?

Anyone know if it is handicapped accessible? How close is parking, is it street parking? What are hours, days of operation?

It's a street level restaurant, so I'd guess it's handicapped accessible. No stairs.

Hours: Opens for lunch at 1:00 p.m. and probably serves until 9:00. Street parking only.

I think they are closed Wednesday but not positive.

"....for our first meal there, we should try the sea bass a la abuela. All four of us did, and it was outstanding.

We mopped those plates bare with the bread, since the sauce was far to good to waste a drop."

So what's that secret sauce de la abuela like? Everybody has mentioned it, but in no detail. Is it red? Green? White? Blue? Flavors? Anything? :016:

"....for our first meal there, we should try the sea bass a la abuela. All four of us did, and it was outstanding.

We mopped those plates bare with the bread, since the sauce was far to good to waste a drop."

So what's that secret sauce de la abuela like? Everybody has mentioned it, but in no detail. Is it red? Green? White? Blue? Flavors? Anything? :016:

He described it as involving milk, butter, garlic and herbs. It looks like a garlic butter sauce in appearance, but the spices make it special. I think he poaches the fish. Try it and guess!

He described it as involving milk, butter, garlic and herbs. It looks like a garlic butter sauce in appearance, but the spices make it special.

Thanks for the description! I'm guessing it wasn't blue. Sounds delicious and will check it out.

It's a street level restaurant, so I'd guess it's handicapped accessible. No stairs.

Hours: Opens for lunch at 1:00 p.m. and probably serves until 9:00. Street parking only.

I think they are closed Wednesday but not positive.

Thanks for checking, drove by today. While the building is street level with no steps to get inside, the curb on that block is almost a foot high making it not negotiable for anyone in a wheekchair, utilizing a walker or with mobility issues. Too bad sounds good, maybe they do take out for someone to pickup?

As best as I recall, the sea bass a la abuela is described as being poached in a milk sauce and I was a bit underwhelmed by the description on the menu. But, after listening to the effusive description by the waiter (really grandma's own recipe, best you'll ever eat, etc), we ordered it and I have to say it is one of the most memorable dishes I've had in years. It is marinated in a garlic, herb and milk bath which tones down the bite raw garlic can sometimes have; the presentation, as noted above, looks like an herb-infused, thin bechamel.

As I recall, we got some chips and salsa with our wine when we sat down, but we've gotten into the habit of asking for some munchy-thing when waiters take our drink order. That seems to resolve in advance most large lapses, either in service or in cooking time, and requires that somebody come back at some point other than to serve the entree.... At La Viña, we usually also order and share a salad, which is large and very good....that, too, helps even out the uneven restaurant service gaps you often find--sigh!--no matter the price point or country.

Last, my dad is blind in one eye; partial vision in the other, uses a cane and has limited mobility due to prior strokes. And he's heavy. Yes, the curbs in the village can be an issue, as can be the cobblestones. When he comes to visit and we have an issue getting him safely into a restaurant, one of us gets out of the car in front of the restaurant and asks a staffer to help him in the restaurant. With one person on each side, we can help him from the street to his seat. We've never had anything but assistance, and we tip and thank to show our appreciation. Just a suggestion that's worked for us, it may for you as well.

Glad you liked the fish, too. This chef deserves a plug. When we were there at lunchtime, he was handling the cooking and the waiter jobs on his own.

Maybe the munchie matter is related to drink ordering: as in, if a customer orders wine, munchies materialize. We ordered mineral water and iced tea. Maybe we'll ask for chips next time.

Those curbs are challenging even if a person isn't disabled.

Mi esposa y yo comimos en La Vina esta noche. She had the flank steak, I had the fillet. Both were excellent and the sides were equally excellent. With a bottle of Concha y Toro, the bill came to 440 pesos with tip. The dining area was lovely and serene.

We were the only ones there. Why, I can't figure out. Rest of you are missing a very nice place for a well priced and very well prepared meal.

i like too sea bass due to many of their shellfish

Funny sms

We, too, love the sea bass "a la abuela"--it is really spectacular, as are many of their other fish/shellfish dishes. I did an extensive post on La Viña mid-January in this forum, if you're interested in the particulars. Glad to know others are catching on to the place...it is often near empty, despite the location.

• 2 weeks later...

Curiosity brought four of us to try La Vina last night. The front dining room where you enter was smoke-filled (from the staff since at that time there were no other diners). We sat in the rear terrace which was pleasant with clean air. The salsa was excellent, but it was so-so from there. Two of us had the raved-about sea bass. It was very good, but not great. One of us had the 3 Mushroom spaghetti (they were out of fettucine). It was in a too-strong balsamic sauce that we didn't care for. One person had the chile rellenos which he said was good. Although the restaurant was not crowded, the service was terrible and it took three times of asking for the check to get it. With all the great options available here, I wouldn't go back to this one.

Curiosity brought four of us to try La Vina last night. The front dining room where you enter was smoke-filled (from the staff since at that time there were no other diners). We sat in the rear terrace which was pleasant with clean air. The salsa was excellent, but it was so-so from there. Two of us had the raved-about sea bass. It was very good, but not great. One of us had the 3 Mushroom spaghetti (they were out of fettucine). It was in a too-strong balsamic sauce that we didn't care for. One person had the chile rellenos which he said was good. Although the restaurant was not crowded, the service was terrible and it took three times of asking for the check to get it. With all the great options available here, I wouldn't go back to this one.

I've heard some negatives elsewhere about the ribs and other dishes, along with the glacial pace of delivering meals. One good dish like the sea bass isn't going to save the day in the long run. Too bad.

Archived