Chapala.com Webboard

Acidophilus/Probiotic Milk

La Guera84

I'm not looking for yakult or those little probiotic drinks. My son constantly has thrush and the only thing that keeps it at bay is acidophilus or probiotic milk. It tastes just the same as regular milk, but for obvious reasons I couldn't bring back any from the US. He will drink yakult, and activia but he's only 16 months and needs to drink milk instead of 5 yakults :) plus, yakults can get spendy and he gets tired of the taste.

See Dina at the organic farmers market on Tuesdays at the Laguna Mall. Talk to Kalina too for info.

Thanks so much! I live in GDL but I will definitely make the trip. Where is the Laguna Mall? I have a friend that lives in chapala and she may know where it is or how to find it given directions.

Deena has kefir not milk with acidopholus. I know because I buy from her. I had thrush in my mouth too and I used her kefir to wash my mouth out with several times a day. It's very sour but worked.

I probably wouldn't get my baby to go along with the kefir mouth wash :) but maybe the lady has some contacts or might know someone else that sells acidophilus. In alaska we also had some juices with acidoph. in it, any one know of healthfood stores in gdl?

I probably wouldn't get my baby to go along with the kefir mouth wash :) but maybe the lady has some contacts or might know someone else that sells acidophilus. In alaska we also had some juices with acidoph. in it, any one know of healthfood stores in gdl?

I'll email Deena for you and get back to you when I hear from her.

We add Yakult to our granola and berries every morning. It and other like products are available in every grocery in Mexico. Costco sells a USA brand in a 48 bottle case, somewhat less expensive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult

But this is a 16 month old baby. The mother wrote that the child was no longer wanting to drink the yakult. So she is looking for alternatives.

But this is a 16 month old baby. The mother wrote that the child was no longer wanting to drink the yakult. So she is looking for alternatives.

he'll drink 2 yakults max a day, and i've started giving him nystina every 4 instead of every 6 hours and it's almost gone again. The brand of probiotic milk we used to buy in alaska was from the darigold brand. hopefully after the thrush clears up this time it won't come back! a neighbor suggested scrubbing it off with baking soda and cotton and i refuse to do that. I don't have a costco membership but if ANYONE sees any kind acidophilus or probiotic milk I will come to chapala and pick it up!

he'll drink 2 yakults max a day, and i've started giving him nystina every 4 instead of every 6 hours and it's almost gone again. The brand of probiotic milk we used to buy in alaska was from the darigold brand. hopefully after the thrush clears up this time it won't come back! a neighbor suggested scrubbing it off with baking soda and cotton and i refuse to do that. I don't have a costco membership but if ANYONE sees any kind acidophilus or probiotic milk I will come to chapala and pick it up!

Do check with GNC in Guad. They must have some very good quality acidophilus powder or tablets you can put in food or that you could mix in water. Also, you could get some of Deena's kefir, add it to warm milk and then put it in an unheated oven or closet over overnight. The result would be a drink that wasn't as strong as very fermented kefir but might be able to be doctored up with fruits to be made acceptable to you little guy. I read about this on some sites that talked about making probiotic milk at home. It won't be as neutral like the milk you were buying but it may be milder.

btw, I also read that some babies are more accepting of having their mouths wiped than others. I wouldn't use baking soda but maybe a bit of the probiotic milk or yakult. Apparently some babies are in more pain than others with the thrush.

Good luck!

Archived