Chapala.com Webboard

Gloria's Cafe

camillenparadise

Several months ago after reading good reviews about this restaurant I tried it. As I said earlier it was the worst meal I have had in years-anywhere. But I didn't want to post a bad review as it might hurt the business. But after hearing more good reviews and comments like they are hard working, off-based remarks, an off day, nasty commentary, etc. give me a break and lets have a little honesty.

We were the only customers when we went at dinner time. The place has zero atmosphere-it is obviouly the garage of the house (I had no idea there was a patio outback-the woman working there never mentioned it). There was no salsa or appetizer of any kind. We each had a different chicken dish which was obviously microwaved to warm it up but was still lukewarm and rather blah. Both the beans and rice were rather miserable and tastless. Usually the beans and rice are very nice in a Mexican restaurant but these weren't. There was no bread or tortillas offered. The women working there wasn't interested in any sort of conversation-she just leaned on the counter looking bored. They had a very poor drink selection. We thought it best not to waste any more money and inquire about dessert.

It's unfortunate that some people need to have to post their comments in such a negative and mean manner. I have been to Glorias and the food was fairly good and the owners were wonderfully hospitable. They told us how they get up early and work late into the nite to assure their customers have fresh and delicious food.

This is a hardworking family trying to make a living on providing the community with low cost, filling and fairly decent meals. I wonder if people realize how they can literaly close down a new or upcoming place with a miniscule margin of profit by their cutting, cruel and often off-based remarks.

There is nothing wrong with honestly critiquing your meal and providing them with some corrective feed back. Before I comment, I also try to give a place a second chance if several others have found the food good. Everyone has an off day. But the kind of nasty commentary I have seen on this web site can be darn right cruel and often just an issue of personal taste.

Cannot wait till Jeanette gets back in July and lends her fair, non-judgemental and coolheaded commentary on the restaurants she has visited here. Perhaps it will set a standard for others? In the mean time think about the harm your negative comments can cause.

Several months ago after reading good reviews about this restaurant I tried it. As I said earlier it was the worst meal I have had in years-anywhere. But I didn't want to post a bad review as it might hurt the business. But after hearing more good reviews and comments like they are hard working, off-based remarks, an off day, nasty commentary, etc. give me a break and lets have a little honesty.

We were the only customers when we went at dinner time. The place has zero atmosphere-it is obviouly the garage of the house (I had no idea there was a patio outback-the woman working there never mentioned it). There was no salsa or appetizer of any kind. We each had a different chicken dish which was obviously microwaved to warm it up but was still lukewarm and rather blah. Both the beans and rice were rather miserable and tastless. Usually the beans and rice are very nice in a Mexican restaurant but these weren't. There was no bread or tortillas offered. The women working there wasn't interested in any sort of conversation-she just leaned on the counter looking bored. They had a very poor drink selection. We thought it best not to waste any more money and inquire about dessert.

I do not consider your remarks cruel or nasty commentary. They seem to be your honest assessment of your experiences which I respect. It is unfortunate that you had two bad experiences there. I was referring to other nasty comments on this website ( not necessarily relating to this restaurant) that I have read in general, which can be cruel and hurtful, not an honest critque. Thi includes some of the personal attacks on posters for giving their opinions. I know the moderator is trying to eliminate these, but they do slip in now and then.

I too have gone to Gloria's numerous times. I have had s lovely baked fish with steamed veggies, husband said it was too subtle for his taste - I loved it. I will drive all the way to El Chante for Gloria's tamales. She makes a chopped chicken salad that is among my favorite lunches at Lakeside. This is not gourmet but neither are the prices. The ambiance in the main dining area is Mexican dive but it is always clean and you are paying $5 for a carefully prepared, tasty meal. I am continually amazed at what Gloria can do in that tiny kitchen. Let's get some perspective here folks.

After many of you wrote about the ribs at Gloria's a friend and I made the trip from Ajijic today. Was it worth the drive? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We sat out in the garden under a grey tarp so we were out of the heat. The setting was very pleasant.

The owner came out and put a table cloth on the table. As we already knew what we wanted to order he quickly took our orders and went to get it ready. Our meal was served in a very reasonable amount of time.

The ribs were excellent. I usually like them with a rch sauce on them like you get at Tony's but these were cooked to perfection with no additional sauce needed. They were tender and tasty.

The potato salad that came with the ribs is the best I have had at Lakeside. I would go back just for that.

I cannot speak for the beans that also came with the ribs as I don't eat them.

The garlic bread was acceptable.

With a drink each meal came to 60P. A great deal for a great meal.

I forgot to look at his list of daily specials and hope someone will post them.

We,too made the trip out to Gloria's today for ribs. Oh, my....what a treat. Tender and juicy - they just fell off the bone. The sauce was fantastic. The potato salad was just like my grandma's. The best I've ever had outside of her kitchen. Peruano Beans cooked to perfection and nicely seasoned. We sat in the back patio as well and it was lovely.

I did ask about the daily specials and wrote them down for future reference...wanna hear about 'em?....here ya go...

Monday - BBQ Chicken with Mashed Potatoes

Tuesday - Spaghetti with Green Salad

Wednesday - Chicken Breast (breaded or grilled) with Green Salad

Thursday - Enchilada Plate with Green Salad

Friday - Ribs (oh, yeah)

Saturday - Lasagna

Sunday - Fish or Shrimp (breaded or sauteed) and Chips

Prices are 45-50 pesos except the fish on Sunday and that's 70 pesos. You can get the fish/chips anytime - not just on Sunday.

They also make pizza priced from small (50pesos) to jumbo (170pesos) All fresh ingredients.

They have a nice breakfast menu, too. Items start at 10 pesos.

Everything is made from scratch, right down to the pizza dough which needs a 15 minute notice.

Our ribs dinner for 2 with 1 cerveza and 1 coca light was 132 pesos.

Great friendly family owns and runs it - speak excellent Engish.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. We'll definitely return.

We,too made the trip out to Gloria's today for ribs. Oh, my....what a treat. Tender and juicy - they just fell off the bone. The sauce was fantastic. The potato salad was just like my grandma's. The best I've ever had outside of her kitchen. Peruano Beans cooked to perfection and nicely seasoned. We sat in the back patio as well and it was lovely.

I did ask about the daily specials and wrote them down for future reference...wanna hear about 'em?....here ya go...

Friday - Ribs (oh, yeah)

Saturday - Lasagna

Prices are 45-50 pesos except the fish on Sunday and that's 70 pesos. You can get the fish/chips anytime - not just on Sunday.

They also make pizza priced from small (50pesos) to jumbo (170pesos) All fresh ingredients.

Everything is made from scratch, right down to the pizza dough which needs a 15 minute notice.

Please note that Gloria's will be closed on Monday untill further notice.

This afternoon we went looking for Glorias Kitchen. We turned left at the big green sign for the Spa (coming from San Juan Cosala) and drove to the end of the road per instructions on this thread. We saw nothing that said "Gloria's". We drove all around, asked several people, nada. Is there a street name and number? We wound up at the Chinese place in Jocotepec. Pretty good, but we would like to try Glorias. Is there a sign over it? My wife is not going to try again until I actually drive there first and confirm it's location.

This afternoon we went looking for Glorias Kitchen. We turned left at the big green sign for the Spa (coming from San Juan Cosala) and drove to the end of the road per instructions on this thread. We saw nothing that said "Gloria's". We drove all around, asked several people, nada. Is there a street name and number? We wound up at the Chinese place in Jocotepec. Pretty good, but we would like to try Glorias. Is there a sign over it? My wife is not going to try again until I actually drive there first and confirm it's location.

Gloria's is at 198 Morelos in El Chante. If you made the left at the first big sign for the Spa, you would come to a T in the road, about a block down. If you drove straight, you would drive right into the restaurant.

Friday - Ribs (oh, yeah)

Saturday - Lasagna

Do they have ribs every day or only on Friday?

maw

Do they have ribs every day or only on Friday?

maw

We are suppose to go to Gloria's tonite, but someone just told my husband they went last Friday and that the sign is down and they are closed. Anyone know anything about this?

We are suppose to go to Gloria's tonite, but someone just told my husband they went last Friday and that the sign is down and they are closed. Anyone know anything about this?

I have some friends that were just there last night and we have a party planned for there tomorrow. So, they are still open and going strong. Your friend must have it confused with another restaurant.

Maybe they were confused with Gio's and Bob's which was nearby but is now closed.

We actually went to Gloria's last night and 3 of us had the usual wonderful ribs servd by Ishmael and his wife Gloria. Ishmael did tell me they have been closing at 530pm-6pm when they have no customers in order to give Gloria a break as she had been ill for about a month. I am assuming my friends probably went after 6pm. So happy to see they are still open. :lol:

I have some friends that were just there last night and we have a party planned for there tomorrow. So, they are still open and going strong. Your friend must have it confused with another restaurant.

When we were there last night Ishmael was working on the table set up for your party...they are expecting you :lol: Have a great time

SOOOO glad to hear that Gloria and Ishmael have not folded their tent!!!!! I'm betting their fish and chips are every bit as good as their now-legendary ribs, I mean reeeibs!!!

[/quote

Camille...we'll have to give the fish and chips a try next month when you and Sweetpea get here :D :D :D

When we were there last night Ishmael was working on the table set up for your party...they are expecting you :lol: Have a great time

I was part of the group that went today and since we were a large group we were able to pre-order the ribs-several had the lasagne special

The ribs did not disappoint- they were very good but we only got 3- not 4. The potato salad was very good- beans were just ok- garlic bread was nicely toasted- a little short on garlic though.

We also ordered a glass of wine-tasted like Chauvenet- Be forewarned-It was 45 pesos!

Not sure if the 30 min. drive out there warrants another trip.

He will do catering too.

maw

three of us stopped at Gloria's for breakfast this morning on our way to Costco. Veggie omlet was stuffed with fresh spinach, onion, mushrooms and more. Good Mexican coffee with a hint of cinnamon. Yummy moletes with beans and cheese as well as butter, cinnamon and sugar. Dont' remember the prices, but very inexpensive.

I've always had a nice meal at Gloria's. Usually run into friends there and lunch turns into an afternoon of spinning yarns....an El Chante favorite thing to do.

So glad I don't have to drive 1/2 hour to get there.

Khof

three of us stopped at Gloria's for breakfast this morning on our way to Costco. Veggie omlet was stuffed with fresh spinach, onion, mushrooms and more. Good Mexican coffee with a hint of cinnamon. Yummy moletes with beans and cheese as well as butter, cinnamon and sugar. Dont' remember the prices, but very inexpensive.

Archived