Chapala.com Webboard

Gloria's Cafe

camillenparadise

When I heard there was a Texas rib joint at El Chante I had to go exploring, so four of us set out on the journey out to the big "El Chante Spa Hotel " sign over the carretera and turned left towards the lake, all the way to the end of the road. There sits Gloria's Cafe, a few nice tables inside with a perfect view of the small kitchen. Out back, however, the perfect tables! Overlooking the garden with the agapanthus bed in full bloom, roses, lots of greenery to admire, and oh! the breeze....

Turns out Ishmael and Gloria lived in Texas 25 years and do not speak English the way Ah do, as in "reeeibs", and are perhaps more charming because of it.

Friday is rib day, with other specials on different days including fish and chips and fried chicken. None of the four of us could say no to ribs, so that is the only dish I can mention, but if the quality of the others approaches that of the ribs, and I suspect they do, this place should be busy every day.

That said, Ishmael served up four heaping plates and we all assumed the silent rib position, a moment of pious anticipation followed by some serious digging in. Each plate contained a generous serving of absolutely perfectly cooked peruana beans with cilantro, a huge amount of non-mayonnaisey potato salad crisped up with celery bits, and the ribs, four of them, meaty to perfection, not at all fatty, sauced with a lovely barbecue concoction. Not a word was uttered as we dug in. Then gradually some "Mmmmmmmms" followed by "Oh yeah!"s and finally my own "DAYummmm!"

These ribs are the business, folks, not those huge caveman kind, not babyback ribs, but the best of the Mexican cut kind, and falling off the bone tender. Our bill for four plates of heaven and four ice teas? Sit down. 248 pesos, swear to God!

No question about a return trip. Got to try them fish and chips!

Can you tell me the seating capacity? A group of about 10 are planning on going Friday but wondered if we needed reservations or at least give them a "heads up" ... and if so, does anyone know the phone number?

Gracias

Eight of us went to Gloria's Cafe for ribs tonight ... EXCELLENT. Everything was incredible ... I had gone to chat with Ishmael a couple of days ago to let him know that a group of us were coming and he had everything prepared in advance of our arrival. He is such a sweet man and trying so hard to develop his business. It's unfortunate his wife is ill right now as he is struggling to take care of her and serve his clients. Please people, try to support this wonderful restaurant. He's open 7 days a week starting at 6am for breakfast.

You will not be disappointed.

I have been there twice. Both times a long time to get food. Everyone's food was cold. I asked for salsa Mexican. He brought me a little bowl and when I got my check there was a mysterious 10 pesos on the bill. When I asked, he said that was for the salsa. He said he had to charge extra for everything. I have never been charged for a monkey dish of salsa any where. We won't be back. It is a nickle dime place.

The traveler

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would appear that now Hole in One is no longer 'flavour of the month'

and Erik, most definately a 'Persona non grata'. Now we have Glorias. What were the other heir apparents?

Oh yes, Lauras, was that not that yet another eatery that was adorned the dreadful desciption of "food to die

for"?. I will NEVER ever visit a place so descibed. I almost forgot the place across from Ajijic clinic'

Mask? I remember one had to book a table for lunch! I walked past there last week, it was Empty!

Do would be diners seriously take notice of these critiques, when before moving to mexico and receiving a

passport 90% of them were living on hamburgers and meatloaf.

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would appear that now Hole in One is no longer 'flavour of the month'

and Erik, most definately a 'Persona non grata'. Now we have Glorias. What were the other heir apparents?

Oh yes, Lauras, was that not that yet another eatery that was adorned the dreadful desciption of "food to die

for"?. I will NEVER ever visit a place so descibed. I almost forgot the place across from Ajijic clinic'

Mask? I remember one had to book a table for lunch! I walked past there last week, it was Empty!

Do would be diners seriously take notice of these critiques, when before moving to mexico and receiving a

passport 90% of them were living on hamburgers and meatloaf.

Yea, some people do seriously take notice of these critiques. I believe that most of those people recognize and respect that food preferences differ - WIDELY. What one person describes as "food to die for" may have a dining partner at the same table, eating the same meal that they describe as "food I could die from." It's entirely subjective and a personal opinion.

Perceptions and expectations get into this as well. What one person describes as "great ambiance," or "excellent service" or "a well priced wine list" is based on their experiences and expectations.

But - I think it is safe to say that Lakeside clearly has issues of consistency with it's restaurants. Far more than should be reasonably expected. I don't know why.

So, YES, I do consider what others have experienced before I select a place to dine out - SOB, NOB, Europe, Asia - where ever. In some cases, I learn which posters have likes and dislikes that seem similar to mine, and those opinions get a few extra points. Ultimately, the only opinion that matters is mine (and my husband gets a vote, too).

Just a reminder: Talking about restaurants and food is not going to change the world. It's not life and death. It's a hobby for some, a passion for others, a business or a job for a few, and for most people, it's just fun.

We have eaten at Gloria's several times now and have always had great food, fast service, and a friendly host/waiter in Ishmael. While a lot of restaurants do not charge for certain things, others must because their prices are so low to begin with and that is understandable. When one can get an order of ribs, a mound of potato salad, a nice size portion of beans, and some good garlic bread for only 50 pesos or a chicken milanesa with fries and salad for 45 pesos, I personally see no reason to complain about 10 pesos for an order of salsa. That, in my opinion, is not nickel and diming but a bargain for the low prices for everything you get.

Just a reminder: Talking about restaurants and food is not going to change the world. It's not life and death. It's a hobby for some, a passion for others, a business or a job for a few, and for most people, it's just fun.

Rock on, Jeanette. And to Bollox: really?

Interesting advice spewing from someone who does not live here, but racist Arizona.?

WHAAAAT?

Thought this was about FOOD, what does where one live have to do with it? Aren't you living in a country which is pretty biased? Eat your food and enjoy, do not bring anything else to the table but food.

SHEESH!

I have been there twice. Both times a long time to get food. Everyone's food was cold. I asked for salsa Mexican. He brought me a little bowl and when I got my check there was a mysterious 10 pesos on the bill. When I asked, he said that was for the salsa. He said he had to charge extra for everything. I have never been charged for a monkey dish of salsa any where. We won't be back. It is a nickle dime place.

The traveler

We have been going to Gloria's since it opened and have never had a bad meal.I will admit that somtimes it take a while to get served, but what the hay, we are retired. As far as the above poster goes, here is the rest of the story. It was not a bowl of Mexican Salsa, (for witch here has never been a charge), it was a bowl of guacamole for which there is a charge. I would sugest to Traveler that he get his story rite.

Guest RevImmigrant

Peter's right. At those prices if the food's good, you should't complain about paying $10 pesos extra for something else extra.

Jeanette's right too - food is one of the most subjective subjects there is. Food is to enjoy, so enjoy it and don't argue about the details or sweat the small stuff.

Now I can go enjoy my favorite gourmet French dinner - lef' ovair! Does that make me part of the elite 10% that didn't subsist on hamburgers and meatloaf before coming here? Actually, it was fried noodles or rice with pork and dim sum or Wurstchen mit Brotchen und Kartoffeln (sausage with rolls and potatoes).

Thanks, everybody, for your compliments Let's just ignore Bollox, shall we? Much more fun (and appropriate) to discuss food on this forum, dontcha think? :)

It's unfortunate that some people need to have to post their comments in such a negative and mean manner. I have been to Glorias and the food was fairly good and the owners were wonderfully hospitable. They told us how they get up early and work late into the nite to assure their customers have fresh and delicious food.

This is a hardworking family trying to make a living on providing the community with low cost, filling and fairly decent meals. I wonder if people realize how they can literaly close down a new or upcoming place with a miniscule margin of profit by their cutting, cruel and often off-based remarks.

There is nothing wrong with honestly critiquing your meal and providing them with some corrective feed back. Before I comment, I also try to give a place a second chance if several others have found the food good. Everyone has an off day. But the kind of nasty commentary I have seen on this web site can be darn right cruel and often just an issue of personal taste.

Cannot wait till Jeanette gets back in July and lends her fair, non-judgemental and coolheaded commentary on the restaurants she has visited here. Perhaps it will set a standard for others? In the mean time think about the harm your negative comments can cause.

Cannot wait till Jeanette gets back in July and lends her fair, non-judgemental and coolheaded commentary on the restaurants she has visited here. Perhaps it will set a standard for others? In the mean time think about the harm your negative comments can cause.

Very kind of you, Marty, but there are MANY people here who provide great information about the local dining scene and other food related issues.

I know that I read their posts and comments, and sincerely appreciate that they take the time ALL YEAR LONG, to provide all this information. Because of them, I get the pleasure of knowing which restaurants I'm most likely to enjoy when I am there for only a few short months in the summer.

Archived