Chapala.com Webboard

Microsoft buys Skype

sparks

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Microsoft-deal-should-vastly-apf-539379486.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

Michael Liedtke and Peter Svensson, AP Technology Writers, On Tuesday May 10, 2011, 6:18 pm EDT

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Imagine using your Xbox and switching from a game to a video chat with a faraway friend holding an iPad. Or going into your office email to invite Grandma to a virtual family reunion beamed on TV sets to relatives across the country.

Microsoft's $8.5 billion purchase of Skype is supposed to make using the Internet for video phone calls as common as logging on to Facebook or instant messaging is today.

If it wins regulatory approval, the deal announced Tuesday provides Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, with the means to sell more digital advertising and offer more popular conferencing tools to help businesses save money.

They claim Skype will remain the same - I'm suspicious, generally MS comes late to the party, makes dumb changes and bad business decisions. We'll see.

I agree, ffutsn233. Many of us depend on Skype communication and some of us fear that it will end up poorly under Microsoft.

They claim Skype will remain the same - I'm suspicious, generally MS comes late to the party, makes dumb changes and bad business decisions. We'll see.

While there is plenty about which to quibble as regards Microsoft (I am writing this on a Mac), they really don't have a history of bad business decisions, although as with all large companies they have made a few.

For sure plenty of decisions have not necessarily been in the best interests of their consumers insofar as price or value are concerned, that is very different than a bad (or sound) business decision.

I use Skype very simply. When I need to make a call back to the U.S. - usually 800 numbers - I use my headphones or sometimes just the mike and speakers on the computer. No video conferencing, no ipods, etc. I can get by with the minimum Telmex internet sevice and still have a good connection with Skype. O.K. - I'm cheap!

So I am of the opinion that M.S. most likely will ruin my "good thing". Either by increasing bandwidth usage, making my free 800 number calls go away, making my $ balance expire after a certain amount of time. You name it. Probably not a bright future for those of us who aren't "profit centers".

While there is plenty about which to quibble as regards Microsoft (I am writing this on a Mac), they really don't have a history of bad business decisions, although as with all large companies they have made a few.

This guy wouldn't agree with you, he calls it "Right Out of 'Dumb Deal Playbook" so, opinions vary. Dumb Deal

This guy wouldn't agree with you, he calls it "Right Out of 'Dumb Deal Playbook" so, opinions vary. Dumb Deal

Well... I will probably have to change my identity after this... but I worked at that place in Redmond Wa for way too long to feel good about this. They spend a fortune on R&D and are very innovative.... but that stuff rarely comes to market. There is too much inside competition and in-fighting. Divisions compete with developing similar technologies and it slows things down even further. Constant churn with the reorganizations... a new boss and or VP every year. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhg. I watched as the VPs would decide to purchase a successful company in a Market with the intention of retiring the successful product in a few years and replacing it with something new under development at Microsoft. This was a decade ago though...... so maybe things have changed.

One problem I saw was that so many of the GMs, Product Planners and VPs had started work at Microsoft immediately after (or during) College. They had Egos that were insanely huge, and just would not listen to the "talent" they just purchased along with the technology that was so successful. Seriously, read Paul Allen’s new book.... read how Bill Gates treated him and realize this is how the place works. Really... the good guys never run a Company this size.

I hope I am wrong... but they will probably ruin Skype for the average person by not investing further in it and eventually not supporting it. There will be a way to subscribe to use a new "improved" version

O.K. - I'm cheap!

So I am of the opinion that M.S. most likely will ruin my "good thing". Either by increasing bandwidth usage, making my free 800 number calls go away, making my $ balance expire after a certain amount of time. You name it. Probably not a bright future for those of us who aren't "profit centers".

Don't fret. I've been using Yahoo Voice for years and my $10 deposit seems to last forever. 800#'s are free and US calls are a penney a minute - IF - when you sign up tell them you are in the US. There is a Google Voice as well. Works great if you use a headset. They also have a "call in" option but I don't use it

• 3 weeks later...

For sure plenty of decisions have not necessarily been in the best interests of their consumers insofar as price or value are concerned, that is very different than a bad (or sound) business decision.

I can't agree with you. Microsoft, since Gate's departure as CEO, has made nothing but bad business decisions. Remember WebTV? KIN cell phone? Zune? Spot watches? Actimates? Vista? Windows 7 for cell phones (currently Microsoft is making 5 times more from patent licensing to Google for Android than its taking in from the sale of Windows 7 phones). Even Apple has $110B higher market capitalization than Microsoft.

If you would have invested $100,000 in Microsoft 10 years ago it would be worth $69k today. The same $100k in Apple would be work $2.9M today. Microsoft's day has passed -- at least with Ballmer at the head.

Microsoft is based on their ability to take other's technology then embrace and strangle. Expect only bad things in the future for Skype.

Archived