Chapala.com Webboard

15 shootings in 3 days, 8 dead

jrm30655

Metropolitan GDL is bigger.

only if you include Zapopan, tlaquepaque, and tonala. And if you do, 8 murders in 3 days would be an exceptionally low number. Note - the poster did not offer a comparison - and just offered one number - that of Atlanta. How about this one - population 502 - murders last week - 3. Location - South Shore Tizapan El Alto. One could also assume that the numbers for Guadalajara area were not included because they were not known. So - no comparison. It is sad what is happening in Atlanta and other areas - but NO comparison to what is happening in Mexico.

http://guadalajarareporter.com/news-mainmenu-82/regional-mainmenu-85/28007-2010-census-mexicos-population-rises-unexpectedly.html

In the state of Jalisco, the total population went from 6,321,278 to 7,350,355 – an increase of more than one million.The population of the metropolitan zone of Guadalajara increased from 3.7 million in 2000 to 4.4 million. While Zapopan, Tlaquepaque, Tonala and El Salto have all experienced population increases in line with the national average, the number of inhabitants of Tlajomulco de Zuñiga (the south-western city suburb that has seen a huge residential housing boom in the past decade), has more than tripled from 123,220 to 416,552.

According to the latest official figures (2009), the population of Guadalajara is 1,564,514 and the population of the eight municipalities making up the entire metro area is 4,328,584:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalajara,_Jalisco

Anyone who thinks that eight murders in three days would be anything out of the ordinary for the metro Guadalajara area (other than being an unusually low number) clearly does not follow the news as reported in the various on-line newspapers. A glance at today's Informador shows reports of four murders and the discovery of a buried murder victim.

“I always find that statistics are hard to swallow and impossible to digest. The only one I can ever remember is that if all the people who go to sleep in church were laid end to end they would be a lot more comfortable.

Atlantas population is 5.6 million

Can't vouch for accuracy but:

Posting on Gancho:

As to whether these are higher than in other areas of North America, it really depends which areas you are referring to, as NA is a big place. Guadalajara doesn't stand out among Mexican cities as particularly dangerous (by my back of envelope calculations, it's on pace for a murder rate of between 30 and 40 per 100000 residents in 2011, which is violent but far from the worst cities in Mexico), but it's worse than many of the safer cities in the US and Mexico.

5.6 million(Atlanta population)divided by 100,000 = 56 times average of 35 annual Guadalajara murders per 100,000 = 1960 murders divided by 365 days = 5.4 murders per day.

You are welcome to challenge my math and anything else in this posting.

“I always find that statistics are hard to swallow and impossible to digest. The only one I can ever remember is that if all the people who go to sleep in church were laid end to end they would be a lot more comfortable.

How about "74.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot ..."?

Actually, the population of Atlanta is about 540,000. The greater Atlanta Metro area is about 5.5 million.

My daughter works for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and she used to send me all the Mexican stories. I retaliated by sending her all the Atlanta stories. We finally called a truce......

I'm getting a bit tired of Mexico being beaten up on all the US news shows. If you listen to the news shows, you would swear that everyday there were gunfights in the streets.

I'm getting a bit tired of Mexico being beaten up on all the US news shows. If you listen to the news shows, you would swear that everyday there were gunfights in the streets.

I'm with jrm30655 on this one: he simply posted a bit of news, and we all clicked on it wondering which part of Mexico got nailed this time. His point was clear. Those that missed it? Don't give me stats.

How about this one - population 502 - murders last week - 3. Location - South Shore Tizapan El Alto. ..

The reported Tizapan population numbers (depending on whose data you use) has been bouncing between 15,000 and 19,000 inhabitants as reported 6 years ago in 2005, not 502. Nonetheless I am in agreement that three murders is three too many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizapan_El_Alto

The reported Tizapan population numbers (depending on whose data you use) has been bouncing between 15,000 and 19,000 inhabitants as reported 6 years ago in 2005, not 502. Nonetheless I am in agreement that three murders is three too many.

http://en.wikipedia....Tizapan_El_Alto

you are right - I didn't realize that Tizapan was that large - I apparently picked up the numbers from one of the many towns/pueblos in Tizapan - http://www.e-local.g...pios/14096a.htm

Archived