Chapala.com Webboard

A surprise at La Bodega

jaykay

My wife and I decided to go out for supper last Thursday (April 21) It was a little late in the evening for the Lake, so we picked La Bodega. Also, we thought that Javier Raygoza, the harp player, would be there. Well he was, but that was not the surprise. Javier is active in teaching teenagers to play traditional Mexican music, on traditional instruments. He and another adult had brought 9 of the students with them to play an evening of very traditional music. To say that they were good would be an understatment. One 12 year old on violin and several other instruments was scary. More importantly and more unusual was the fact that the youngsters were having a very good time. Us too. I haven't enjoyed an evening that much since the first time I saw The Tall Boys. If you would like to experience something different and very well done, Javier and crew will back next Thursday April 28.

Here's a tip. Sit down at a table on the dance floor. Closer is a lot more fun, and the musicians feed off your reactions. Congratulations to Javier the owner for trying something that is not the same old same old. By the way, my wife doesn't speak much Spanish, and she is telling her friends to come and hear this group. Some music doesn't need translation.

Archived