Chapala.com Webboard

Chac-Lan restaurant - the palapa above San Juan Cosala

tigerlily

We have family in town ad are wondering about taking them to Chac-Lan for comida. We'd appreciate any comments of recent dining experiences there. Did you like the food? What kind of food do they serve? How was the service? I did a search on this web board and came up with nothing since the fall of 2010.

We have family in town ad are wondering about taking them to Chac-Lan for comida. We'd appreciate any comments of recent dining experiences there. Did you like the food? What kind of food do they serve? How was the service? I did a search on this web board and came up with nothing since the fall of 2010.

In the last ten days I went 2 times to Chac Lang, both times the service and food were outstanding, they have a new chef (sorry I don't know the name)) and a new Manager, Mayra is her name, just outstanding. I will go back

In the last ten days I went 2 times to Chac Lang, both times the service and food were outstanding, they have a new chef (sorry I don't know the name)) and a new Manager, Mayra is her name, just outstanding. I will go back

I guess it is the person in the kitchen who is important...not sure what the role of this new manager is and how she can improve the kichen...they come and they go, as does the quality of the food....

I guess it is the person in the kitchen who is important...not sure what the role of this new manager is and how she can improve the kichen...they come and they go, as does the quality of the food....

I have been there a couple of time lately and the new chef is certainly doing a great job, it's nice that such incredible place is paying attention to service and food.

I have been there a couple of time lately and the new chef is certainly doing a great job, it's nice that such incredible place is paying attention to service and food.

What a concept! The one and only time we were there they were not. It was so bad we've never returned. I simply will not pay to find out if they've learned how to operate a restaurant.

What a concept! The one and only time we were there they were not. It was so bad we've never returned. I simply will not pay to find out if they've learned how to operate a restaurant.

Why are you so negative, you have to right not to go back, but couldnt' it be possible that now is good?

Sure it's possible. I did not say it wasn't any good now, simply that I wasn't willing to pay $ to find out.

Certainly agree with that... particularly when you have a couple of posters (fergarcia and barbarossa) who have a ton of previous posts... NOT!.

I hate having to travel from here to there, order what I wish to eat and drink, and then PAY... only to find out that it remains to live up to the grand accolades of two newbies.. NO THANKS

My reaction was great ,if they have got their act together i will be back in a shot.Its such a nice place. Well as soon as all the Guad Squad has gone back.

Certainly agree with that... particularly when you have a couple of posters (fergarcia and barbarossa) who have a ton of previous posts... NOT!.

I hate having to travel from here to there, order what I wish to eat and drink, and then PAY... only to find out that it remains to live up to the grand accolades of two newbies.. NO THANKS

Hey, not to be rude, but what does the number of posts a person has have anything to do with their tastebuds?

[/quote

Hey, not to be rude, but what does the number of posts a person has have anything to do with their tastebuds?

I don't think you're being rude. However, I've been there (Chac-Lan) a number of times. In general, the waiters are fine, but the food has consistently failed to live up to the expectations. I suppose that if the two fans of the restaurant have been eating there for some time then I would be disposed to take a trip to Chac-Lan, but I don't know if that is the case.

In my thinking, Chac-Lan had already lost a good share of their previous clients. BUT, that isn't unusual for "fine dining" establishments around here.. Still there is A REASON for the NEW CHEF and NEW MANAGER. Analyze THAT!!! So, they would like nothing more than a "second chance". Well, in my case they have far exceeded their limit of "second chances".

I have put this on our list to get to soon and we will go initially for the view, a beverage and a nosh. Over 7 years our previous half dozen or so forays up there have been mostly mediocre and two were just awful. Its been at lest 2 years since we even considered them.

Good idea, Solajijic. We did not get there this week due to the horrendous traffic heading west to all of the restaurants in that area. Instead we eheaded east to one of the restaurants in Chapala near Guicho's and had great seafood and great fun watching all of the families visiting the lake for the day.

• 2 months later...

Went to Chac_Lan based upon recent reviews. Can't say had the same experience even if , as someone claimed, there is a new chef.

Appetizers very skimpy for price as well as salads. Entrees were meat/fish and rice, no vegetables. Ala Carte is ok if you get decent servings. There are too many other restaurants ( maybe without the spectacular view) that offer better service and food per cost.

Due to reviews in this post and others in one I started about my 40th wedding anniversary I thought we'd give Chac Lan a try. The ambiance was very nice and the food and service was also very good. We probably will not go back unless for very special occasions. As mentioned the portions could have been larger for the prices charged. For the two of us the bill came to 680p. I had the salmon and my wife had the fettucini camarone. We also had an appetizer, 3 glasses of wine, and 1 dessert. That didn't include the tip or parking fee. I'm glad we went because it was a special occasion but to get a full meal I'd probably go somewhere else.

Archived