Chapala.com Webboard

Home prices in Florida are way down

Ukmummoe

Does anyone know of foreclosures in pv or on the beach in mexico please. That would be interesting. Real estate is only falling in certain areas in mexico. I know that prices are even rising in mexico city and queretaro and sales are good.

You currently living 6 months in Mexico - where? I am just curious, I am interested in alternative areas of Mexico than Lake Chapala to live.

To quote your 1st post...... 29th Mar 2011

my husband and I live in Florida ( I am English he is American ) , I have been researching for a long time and have decided the Lake Chapala area is where we will retire.( early 56 ) We are coming July 1 st to La Floresta for 2 weeks to check out the area, then starting next year we will be there summers. For 3-5 months...

Can you all tell me what not to miss while we are in the area ? Should we rent a car? Is there a british contingent in the area? What's happening July 4 th, ? Club parties? We are spending a couple of days in Guadalajara before coming to Ajijic

Unquote.

Lakeview, My wife and I have lived here full-time for the last 4 years. We publish a photo-journal blog called Jim and Carole's Mexico Adventure. Here are a few links that you might find interesting and useful in what to see and do:

Ajijic activities

Lake Chapala South Shore area

Guadalajara places to visit

Buena suerte on your visit!

Does anyone know of foreclosures in pv or on the beach in mexico please. That would be interesting. Real estate is only falling in certain areas in mexico. I know that prices are even rising in mexico city and queretaro and sales are good.

For foreclosures you need mortgages. Mortgages are far less usual in Mexico than NOB so your chance of finding such a beast are not good. Additionally, the legal process to remove people from property can drag on for 5 years here.

If the US did, indeed, create a retirement visa - similar to an FM3.... there would be a stampede of canadians buying homes. There are already so many people buying. It used to be the upper middle class and wealthy that would have a snowbird home in the Sunbelt or Hawaii. Now its the middle class and blue collar workers that are taking trips down to Arizona and Florida.

It is not just Canadians. There are retirees from all over the world that would migrate to the Sun Belt in the U.S. Medical Insurance becomes affordible once you get rid of the second home. Example: I will pay $600 per month to maintain my Canadian home while living as a snow bird. That would be enough for a private Insurance in the US.

I can't understand why they have not done this already.

Unless you are absolutely 100% healthy, have been 100% healthy for the last ten years, do not smoke, are not overweight, and are under 40, it's going to be more difficult that you realize to get ANY health insurance in the US under an individual policy. And $600 is probably not going to cover it.

Of course, if you are eligible for Medicare, that is a different situation entirely.

Since I'm about ten years away from Medicare, Health insurance was one of the main reasons that we were considering relocating to Mexico. Now that IMSS is also doing underwriting, and the cost of private insurance has escalated, it's not as attractive an alternative as we had hoped.

Unless you are absolutely 100% healthy, have been 100% healthy for the last ten years, do not smoke, are not overweight, and are under 40, it's going to be more difficult that you realize to get ANY health insurance in the US under an individual policy. And $600 is probably not going to cover it.

Of course, if you are eligible for Medicare, that is a different situation entirely.

Since I'm about ten years away from Medicare, Health insurance was one of the main reasons that we were considering relocating to Mexico. Now that IMSS is also doing underwriting, and the cost of private insurance has escalated, it's not as attractive an alternative as we had hoped.

Hmmm. Perhaps I spoke too soon. When I left the US, 6 years ago, one quote I had was for $500 per month with a large deductable. (I wanted to semi-retire and would loose my medical insurance from my employer) Times have changed, and I am older and not as healthy. I am lucky to be a Canadian who can afford to be a Snow Bird, not everyone can.

Panama is worth looking into, for you. There is a private plan that has recently been promoted. Check out panama-guide.com

for information. It is a great website.

Lakeview, My wife and I have lived here full-time for the last 4 years. We publish a photo-journal blog called Jim and Carole's Mexico Adventure. Here are a few links that you might find interesting and useful in what to see and do:

Ajijic activities

Thank you very much. I will follow them up. What prompted my question was that I heard that there are other communities in Mexico - some where European's hang out. Also I see that there are approx 1 million expat American's living in Mexico, so where are they living? We are fairly happy here, but I am a bit more than curious.

We were with Kaiser and that cost $1200 (2 person's) with a $25 co-pay two years ago, so yes $600 is marginal. My biggest scare (if I can call it that) about living in the US is that I have two male friends one 48 (married, 1 child), the other 61 (married no children). Both thought they had adequate insurance. Both now virtually bankrupt after crippling healthcare costs due to family illness. Ellen, the 48 year old's wife is now un-insurable.

If the US did, indeed, create a retirement visa - similar to an FM3.... there would be a stampede of canadians buying homes. There are already so many people buying. It used to be the upper middle class and wealthy that would have a snowbird home in the Sunbelt or Hawaii. Now its the middle class and blue collar workers that are taking trips down to Arizona and Florida.

It is not just Canadians. There are retirees from all over the world that would migrate to the Sun Belt in the U.S. Medical Insurance becomes affordible once you get rid of the second home. Example: I will pay $600 per month to maintain my Canadian home while living as a snow bird. That would be enough for a private Insurance in the US.

I don't think you will find insurance in the US for 600 a month. Unless you are young and have never been ill. My nephew has a pre-existing condition and pays 982.00 per month just for him in Kansas. It depends on what state you are in. New Mexico has a insurance pool , I am 63 and pay 653 a month because of a pre-existing condition, and I feel lucky that I a can even get insurance in the US.

And based on the House vote if approved Medicare will be gone in 10 years. So, what will people do with no Medicare and no home equity? These are difficult times for so many.

I doubt most anyone can find suitable US health coverage if at least 60 for much under $1000 a month.

We may have lived in the best of times and those of us lucky enough to be here can count our blessings.

And based on the House vote if approved Medicare will be gone in 10 years. So, what will people do with no Medicare and no home equity? These are difficult times for so many.

I doubt most anyone can find suitable US health coverage if at least 60 for much under $1000 a month.

We may have lived in the best of times and those of us lucky enough to be here can count our blessings.

Oh stop, stop the mis truths, the speculation on proposals and the idiocy of the whole thing. Scaring people with lies is for kids, don't become one of that group, especially not down here, leave your baggage at the border, you live here or you don't.

Ajijic activities

I checked out your blog a couple of weeks ago and emailed you afterwards to tell you how fantastic and helpful it was..thanks again...Moe

Ajijic activities

I checked out your blog a couple of weeks ago and emailed you afterwards to tell you how fantastic and helpful it was..thanks again...Moe

Jeanette, although I am only 56 I receive Medicare because I am disabled, ( you have to be on disability 2 yrs before they cover you under Medicare )

I am also British so if I really needed to I could go home for free health care. ...Moe

Jeanette, although I am only 56 I receive Medicare because I am disabled, ( you have to be on disability 2 yrs before they cover you under Medicare )

I am also British so if I really needed to I could go home for free health care. ...Moe

I don't ignore or minimize the medical reasons that got you onto SSD. I'm sure they are horrific. And you worked hard for that benefit. I'm betting you have pain every day. And as weird as it sounds, you are blessed to have the benefits of SSD.

I don't ignore or minimize the medical reasons that got you onto SSD. I'm sure they are horrific. And you worked hard for that benefit. I'm betting you have pain every day. And as weird as it sounds, you are blessed to have the benefits of SSD.

Yes thank god I am on SSD don't know what I would do without it. I Fell 3 floors off a building landed on concrete broke neck and damaged spinal cord, worked till 55 but the pain is too much now......( now have axial myopathy, dystonia, arthritis, nerve damage, migraines ) work the odd day when feeling ok and volunteer at hospice.

There might be a stampede until they realized the tax implications of coming under the control of the IRS as resident foreigners and/or potentially as non-resident foreigners. Smart Canadians would think twice!

I would think that the vast majority of those properties were purchased with cash. Accordingly, I don't think you're gonna find foreclosures.

There might be a stampede until they realized the tax implications of coming under the control of the IRS as resident foreigners and/or potentially as non-resident foreigners. Smart Canadians would think twice!

Sorry, but that is another myth. Like Mexico, Canadians would only be taxed on income earned from the country in which they are living. In other words, due to reciprocity between Canada and the US there would be no US IRS tax on a Canadian living in the US receiving Canadian investment or Canadian pension income. I am writing based on personal experience, having lived and worked in the US, filing US income tax while receiving a Canadian employer pension income from age of 48.

Also note, a Canadian receiving US Social Security, deposited into a Canadian bank account does not pay US tax on that income. US SS paid to a Canadian deposited into a Mexican bank account is another story.... 25% paid to IRS.

The best combination for a Canadian is having a US address and being a non-resident with Revenue Canada. There is zero tax paid on OAS, CPP, most investment income and 15% income tax paid at source on employer pension (usually, no need to file income tax as a non-resident). With a Mexico address it changes as there is 15% on CPP and OAS paid to Revenue Canada.

Archived