Chapala.com Webboard

Problems on the US side of the border with Mexico

simpsca

A friend sent this to me; it happened to her neighbor here on their return to the US - on the US side of the border.

"We wanted to tell you about the horrific experience we had at the Roma TX

border-

HOMEGROWN TERRORISTS

There is a crack command of border agents in Roma, Texas that are highly trained

to subdue any terrorist activity on American soil, a team effort of 14 who

practiced their guerrilla warfare on a law abiding 72 year old American senior

citizen. My Husband and I have traveled to our vacation home in Mexico for forty

years, always crossing the border at Roma , Texas . On the night of Tuesday

March 8th we crossed over into our safe haven once again. We had left Lake

Chapala area at 6:00 am that morning. Around Monterrey , Mexico we experienced

overheating on our vehicle which detained us for about an hour. It was dark as

we exited the toll road going north to Miguel Aleman and finally home to America

. We were the only vehicle going north and we were certainly well aware of the

cartel shootings and gang wars. We became even more frightened when traffic came

from the other direction.

We got to the check point at Cuidad Meir where the military told us it was even

more dangerous in Miguel Aleman. We hurried north, turned in our Mexican Visa as

required without incidence. Finally, we crossed the river and proceeded to get

inspected by the American border patrol. There was little traffic waiting to be

inspected, however, all lines except one had red lights. We proceeded up the

ramp that had the green light on. Half way up the ramp we saw the sign that

indicated that this was a bus and ambulance lane so we stopped the vehicle.

Two agents began yelling and flickering flashlights at us. My husband got out of

the vehicle as an agent with an automatic rifle came running down to us. My

husband tried to explain that we were just following the green lighted lane.

They ordered him to get back in the vehicle, when he turned to open the car

door; two agents came up behind him and forced him to the ground. Twelve more

agents came running down the ramp. I was told not to get out of the vehicle but

I told them I was getting out to be a witness to the cruelty they were

inflicting on my husband. They proceeded to roll him on his abdomen and forced

his arms behind his back and handcuffed him. He did not resist. I told them that

he had just had surgery on Jan. 18th and they had no right to be this cruel to

him. "We are American citizens and have been coming through this port for forty

years". Their comment "We are American citizens too, and you should have known

this was a bus and ambulance lane. We tried to explain that we were only going

to the green lighted lane and we stopped when we realized it was a restrictive

lane. They grabbed my husband and tried to get him in a standing position from a

prone position with his arms pulled back behind him and tightly handcuffed. My

husband told them they were hurting him to no avail. They then took him into a

cell to search him. They had me go to a separate area to wait and refused to

tell me where he was. Finally they brought him out and they instructed us to go

to our vehicle and wait to be searched. The agent who was apparently in charge

in a very condescending way told us he was the last person we could talk to

about this issue. I told him that nothing he could say would justify what they

did to us and we did not care to talk to him at this point when they didn't want

us to voice our opinion before the takedown and handcuffing incident. One

officer said "we didn't know what we were getting into" I said "neither did we."

These are thugs- terrorists hiding behind a badge and protected by our

government. We are appalled and incensed.

We want the American public to be aware of this travesty and realize that until

you commit a crime- you have no rights. We are very reluctant to return to our

home in Mexico because of the abuse inflicted upon us as we returned to our home

country."

Since the comments are from a friend of a friend I would want to verify. I am not saying did not happen but seems far fetched to me. Also, why would anyone in their right mind cross at Roma based on all the available information?

Then again the US is now down to 18th when it comes to corruption and the country extremely divisive along political lines.

I will add, if truly happened, how horrible as normally in the US one can turn to law enforcement for protection and what is reported here is anything but protection.

To me the best place to cross in Texas will always be Laredo.

I, too, have been mistreated on multiple occasions by the "fine" ICE agents both at the land border between the U.S. and Mexico and at ports of entry via air in Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. You are presumed guilty/terrorist/ill-meaning by these people and treated accordingly. Nothing you say matters, you just have to throw your hands up and smile while they rough you up, handcuff you, search your belongings, etc. You are not permitted to explain or ask any questions. You're told to "shut up" and "wait" while they have their way with you and your belongings. Even in the Atlanta airport terminal, my elderly Dad while waiting for my arrival was roughed up by Agents simply because he asked one of them where the men's restroom was. He remained angry, hurt and disappointed for the remaining 3 years of his life remembering how his government agents treated him. He's always been a patriotic American but this treatment really shook him to the core.

These power mongers are way out of control and it doesn't look like anything is going to change in the near future. I am so sorry for the rough treatment these elderly people received. I am under 50 and although I resent the Hell out of it, I can at least tolerate the rough physical and emotional nature of their behavior a little more easily and without physical injury more so than these poor people can.

It's really out of control.

Valerie :angry:

Someone on this board asked me to post it. I was reluctant since it is the neighbor of a friend, but then decided maybe I should share the information. I know the women who sent it to me very well and her neighbors sent her the email after they returned home. At first I found it hard to believe and if I didn't know the woman whose neighbors it happened to I would doubt the statements. After reading another article on this chat board about corruption of US border patrol I am worried it might be true.

Does this happen to everyone who goes through?

My wife is Mexican and I have a ponytail we are always hasseled. I call them border nazis. Once refused, a long story but, the agent left my wife in tears. I waited till the next day and crossed at another crossing.

Thank you Janet Incompatano.

My original post was on a local chat board because the people this happened to live in the Jocotopec area. Another friend just posted this and I know him - "I've been through that expeience with the border patrol. Put in detention, and don't ask any questions or else. They seem to take some delight in harassing older Americans".

As I have mentioned on another web board, there is a procedure for dealing with this. You may find this hard to believe, but the Department of Homeland Security and the Congressman in the district where you vote really do want to know about these abuses. Recently there was a documentary on NBC about corruption among Border Patrol agents, so right now is a great time to file a complaint.

If you are a Mexican citizen and are frequent helf for a second review or denied entry even though youo have a valid visa, there is a process called TRAP revision. It is available on the DHS website. I often do this TRAP revision for Mexican nationals as part of my business, but if you have a scanner, patience and an English speaker handy, you can do it yourself.

If you are a US citizen both your Congressman and DHS want to know. There is a place for either TRAP revision or complaints on the DHC website. USE IT. If they don't know about the problems, they can't fix them.

Like I said earlier, I am under 50 and they delight in harassing me too. No reason....I don't have a criminal record nor any idea why they like to give me trouble....But they do. I think they just love having the power and knowing that you can't say a word or even show any displeasure with their maltreatment! I see it happen to others around me and there's no identifiable pattern that I can recognize...

I'm saddened by the Police State my former country has become. I even see it once I'm inside the border. This time last year, I was subjected to something called "Rolling Thunder" on Hwy. 96 in Central GA. My sister and I were returning from the hospital where our mother was in the CICU unit. It was a Thursday evening around 11 pm. The entire exit off of Interstate 75 was lighted so brightly that it looked like daylight. She was driving the car in front of me and I followed her turning right off of the exit. From an initial count, there were more than 35 police cars/vans/SUV's positioned all over the entrance/exit ramps as well as along Hwy. 96. She and I were both motioned to pull over and questioned about our origination, destination and had to hand over our licenses, registration and insurance information. We were told to stay in our cars while these heavily armed men "checked" for our information in the computers (kinda like "papers, please). There was no probable cause of anything....Just pure harassment. It took about 10 minutes and we were waved on through. We were both enraged but dared not to say a word knowing the next step would be the back of a police car, a possible body cavity search, a trip to the station only to be released without charge several hours later.

It's just shameful and sad to see what has happened to my native country. I'm so happy I live in Mexico now....

Valerie :unsure:

I've now lived 26 years outside the U.S. - 13 years in Saudi Arabia and the remainder in Mexico. Physical abuse no but verbal abuse almost every time I travel (by air thru Houston generally). I still visit the Middle East - and the questions about why I live "there" with "those people" - meaning Mexico compounded with "those people" "over there" when I'm in route to the Middle East are offensive to say the least. I learned long ago not to antagonize or volunteer information.

Surprisingly the one time I expected to be hassled, the US security was actually pleasant and I had entered Houston a few weeks after 9/11 with a U.S. passport issued by the U.S. consulate in Saudi....

On the other hand, two years ago after leaving Saudi for a two week visit, the young Saudi man at immigration/security spoke in limited Spanish to me, shook my hand and congratulated me on "my Mr. Obama" and then asked several of us leaving how the country had changed since we had lived there - pro and con and carried on pleasantly for about 20 minutes with all us. Couldn't help but compare to U.S. experiences - and we wonder why tourism in the U.S. is down.

In the past we lived in an RV and crossed the border often, for the last 6 years we've lived full time here in Chapala and crossed in cars and trucks rather than a large RV. We find today the larger force of border patrol people are often ignorant about Mexico (can't believe Americans choose to live here, don't know where Guadalajara much less Chapala is etc), often see any Americans who are comfortable here as the 'enemy' and they seem to feel justified in their rude and abusive attitudes. It's true that in the past we occasionally had problems crossing back to the US because of attitude of the 'guards' but we notice now it is much more prevalent and intense.

If this is how they treat American citizens imagine how they treat non citizens. They make it hard to have any pride in our country of origin.

A friend sent this to me; it happened to her neighbor here on their return to the US - on the US side of the border.

"We wanted to tell you about the horrific experience we had at the Roma TX

border-

HOMEGROWN TERRORISTS

There is a crack command of border agents in Roma, Texas that are highly trained

to subdue any terrorist activity on American soil, a team effort of 14 who

practiced their guerrilla warfare on a law abiding 72 year old American senior

citizen. My Husband and I have traveled to our vacation home in Mexico for forty

years, always crossing the border at Roma , Texas . On the night of Tuesday

March 8th we crossed over into our safe haven once again. We had left Lake

Chapala area at 6:00 am that morning. Around Monterrey , Mexico we experienced

overheating on our vehicle which detained us for about an hour. It was dark as

we exited the toll road going north to Miguel Aleman and finally home to America

. We were the only vehicle going north and we were certainly well aware of the

cartel shootings and gang wars. We became even more frightened when traffic came

from the other direction.

We got to the check point at Cuidad Meir where the military told us it was even

more dangerous in Miguel Aleman. We hurried north, turned in our Mexican Visa as

required without incidence. Finally, we crossed the river and proceeded to get

inspected by the American border patrol. There was little traffic waiting to be

inspected, however, all lines except one had red lights. We proceeded up the

ramp that had the green light on. Half way up the ramp we saw the sign that

indicated that this was a bus and ambulance lane so we stopped the vehicle.

Two agents began yelling and flickering flashlights at us. My husband got out of

the vehicle as an agent with an automatic rifle came running down to us. My

husband tried to explain that we were just following the green lighted lane.

They ordered him to get back in the vehicle, when he turned to open the car

door; two agents came up behind him and forced him to the ground. Twelve more

agents came running down the ramp. I was told not to get out of the vehicle but

I told them I was getting out to be a witness to the cruelty they were

inflicting on my husband. They proceeded to roll him on his abdomen and forced

his arms behind his back and handcuffed him. He did not resist. I told them that

he had just had surgery on Jan. 18th and they had no right to be this cruel to

him. "We are American citizens and have been coming through this port for forty

years". Their comment "We are American citizens too, and you should have known

this was a bus and ambulance lane. We tried to explain that we were only going

to the green lighted lane and we stopped when we realized it was a restrictive

lane. They grabbed my husband and tried to get him in a standing position from a

prone position with his arms pulled back behind him and tightly handcuffed. My

husband told them they were hurting him to no avail. They then took him into a

cell to search him. They had me go to a separate area to wait and refused to

tell me where he was. Finally they brought him out and they instructed us to go

to our vehicle and wait to be searched. The agent who was apparently in charge

in a very condescending way told us he was the last person we could talk to

about this issue. I told him that nothing he could say would justify what they

did to us and we did not care to talk to him at this point when they didn't want

us to voice our opinion before the takedown and handcuffing incident. One

officer said "we didn't know what we were getting into" I said "neither did we."

These are thugs- terrorists hiding behind a badge and protected by our

government. We are appalled and incensed.

We want the American public to be aware of this travesty and realize that until

you commit a crime- you have no rights. We are very reluctant to return to our

home in Mexico because of the abuse inflicted upon us as we returned to our home

country."

I had mistreatment at Laredo, TX, one time and I asked around and found out who was in charge, and found out the person in charge is called the Port Supervisor. I asked for his name, and went on my way to San Antonio, and called him. He was very nice, and told me that if I ever had a problem to call him or ask for the Port Supervisor. Incidentely, the person that I complained about had been rude several times to me and to other people. Guess what? She got canned!

Believe me, they treat non-citizens even worse! My husband (an Irish citizen) refuses to ever cross the border into the U.S. again following the horrific treatment he received at the Atlanta airport 2 1/2 years ago. He can not even go "in transit" as he receives the same treatment whether he's visiting the U.S. or "in transit". It makes flights to Europe and other places a little more difficult and more expensive but it's a small price to pay to avoid the hassles with U.S. border treatment.

It's so sad and frustrating!

Valerie :unsure:

In 28 years of crossing every spring at various Texas entry points I have always been treated with courtesy and even at times gotten a smile and a welcome home. Every one can have a bad day now and then, but I think if certain people are getting continually hassled there must be something in their attitude or demeanor that the agent is picking up on.

In 28 years of crossing every spring at various Texas entry points I have always been treated with courtesy and even at times gotten a smile and a welcome home. Every one can have a bad day now and then, but I think if certain people are getting continually hassled there must be something in their attitude or demeanor that the agent is picking up on.

Quite honestly, after reading the OP about the treatment these people received, I cannot believe you just said that! But you did. :010:

Quite honestly, after reading the OP about the treatment these people received, I cannot believe you just said that! But you did. :010:

My husband and I frequently drive to Texas using the Colombia Bridge crossing. At that crossing the guards actually remember us by name and are very courteous. Ask us if we like living in Mexico .. in a friendly and curious way. Many of them are of Mexican heritage and speak native Mexican Spanish. But it is a question of which border crossing you choose. The Colombia crossing - in both directions - has always been a pleasure. They do check thoroughly every 100th car - and even apologized when we were number 100 on one occcasion. But that is that particular crossing.

I know others are not so courteous and they absolutely should be reported for abusive behavior.

My husband and I frequently drive to Texas using the Colombia Bridge crossing. At that crossing the guards actually remember us by name and are very courteous. Ask us if we like living in Mexico .. in a friendly and curious way. Many of them are of Mexican heritage and speak native Mexican Spanish. But it is a question of which border crossing you choose. The Colombia crossing - in both directions - has always been a pleasure. They do check thoroughly every 100th car - and even apologized when we were number 100 on one occcasion. But that is that particular crossing.

I know others are not so courteous and they absolutely should be reported for abusive behavior.

Georgia, has it been a while since you've crossed at Colombia? Apparently it isn't so pleasant these days...a knowledgeable poster on TOB wrote about it just yesterday.

In the past we lived in an RV and crossed the border often, for the last 6 years we've lived full time here in Chapala and crossed in cars and trucks rather than a large RV. We find today the larger force of border patrol people are often ignorant about Mexico (can't believe Americans choose to live here, don't know where Guadalajara much less Chapala is etc), often see any Americans who are comfortable here as the 'enemy' and they seem to feel justified in their rude and abusive attitudes. It's true that in the past we occasionally had problems crossing back to the US because of attitude of the 'guards' but we notice now it is much more prevalent and intense.

If this is how they treat American citizens imagine how they treat non citizens. They make it hard to have any pride in our country of origin.

You know, Mexican "officials" are just as ignornant. I think part of the problem is in hiring. You really can't have border agents who are unknowledgeable or socially unconcious on either side. There needs to be a higher level of education of those who are hired, and then training specific to the situation. That means a higher salary. Not gonna happen.

Amber, I can't believe you posted this either. Numerous crosses thru Dallas airport customs have gotten me singled out and I'm as benign as can be.

Maybe Amber is right....it could be my southern drawl, big smile, blonde hair, blue eyes, etc. that causes me to be singled out ALMOST every time.....Something to consider, LOL!

Valerie :D

Maybe Amber is right....it could be my southern drawl, big smile, blonde hair, blue eyes, etc. that causes me to be singled out ALMOST every time.....Something to consider, LOL!

Valerie :D

Honeychile, those guys just want you to hang around a little longer! :020:

Georgia, has it been a while since you've crossed at Colombia? Apparently it isn't so pleasant these days...a knowledgeable poster on TOB wrote about it just yesterday.

We crossed at the Colombia Bridge three weeks ago. After crossing the bridge, but before you get to the aduana/imigracion building and toll, there IS an army revision. They go through the car quite thoroughly but were very respectful and thanks us for our cooperation. No complaints here. I thanks them as well.

I saw this over on the other area and I didn't read it because it was not about Lakeside. I'm glad I found it here though as we are planning a trip north and this serves as a good warning for people. Since I look in the Mexico forum for news about travel, as others probably do, I'm glad it was moved so that it will not easily scroll off the page. I never would have seen it otherwise.

Thanks for posting this and to others also who post about travelling in Mexico.

Archived