Chapala.com Webboard

Border crossings in Baja, Baja Ferries

Orygun Duck

We planning to travel from our LA home to lakeside this summer via Baja (LaPaz) where a friend of ours has just bought a home. Wonder what experiences others have had crossing the border at Tijuana or Tecate and the relative merits of each. Also, where do you get your car import permits? At least one web site seems to say you can get them in LaPaz before boarding the ferry) Would also be interested in hearing experiences with the ferries from La Paz to either Mazatlan or Topolobamba. (I am familiar with the ferry website) Thanks in advance for responses.

We planning to travel from our LA home to lakeside this summer via Baja (LaPaz) where a friend of ours has just bought a home. Wonder what experiences others have had crossing the border at Tijuana or Tecate and the relative merits of each. Also, where do you get your car import permits? At least one web site seems to say you can get them in LaPaz before boarding the ferry) Would also be interested in hearing experiences with the ferries from La Paz to either Mazatlan or Topolobamba. (I am familiar with the ferry website) Thanks in advance for responses.

They will most likely get your Baja permit at the border or La Paz. Don't worry. They will stop you at the points of departure.

We took the ferry both ways and a cabin overnight. Exciting but very expensive. Food on the ferry is OK.Make sure you arrive early to board the vehicle.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years pets were not allowed on the main deck. For me this creates a definate problem as it is a long ferry ride and there is no way I would leave my animals locked up in a car for that long. If bad luck hits and you end up in a rough water situation the ride can be drawn out even longer. We did a motorcycle trip to Canada from here 3 years back and spent 35 hours on the ferry with a full load of very sick people.

I highly recomend getting the vehicle permit online. Getting one in TJ while completely possible is not an easy feat. I also witnessed a couple in La Paz having a problem as it seems the permit office decided for what ever reason not to open. They had the choice of driving back to the border or giving an excessive tip to the guy checking permits prior to boarding. They choose the later but had to live with the fact that once on the mainland were operating without a permit. It's been a while since I took a ferry from Santa Rosalia to the mainland but at that time vehicle permits where not available at the ferry terminal.

Tecate is my choice of border crossing with a whole lot less trafic and a great road to Ensenaada. At the entrance to Ensenada is an immigration office on the right side where you can get your FMM.

• 2 weeks later...

I traveled north on Baja via the ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz about a year ago and had a pleasant experience all the way. We took the road from Ensenada to Tecate and got our FMM at the southbound Mexican INM station at the border. Getting to that station as you're heading north was a bit tricky, but can be done. There is no way to either obtain or relinquish your vehicle permit at Tecate, however. Getting to the INM and Banercito station in Tijuana is much easier heading south than northbound. After crossing into Mexico, take your first right and at the glorieta take the first right again. Take your next left and then right again. There are signs from the glorieta to the INM station.

Hopefully the immigration (INM) agents are better informed now. When we returned to Mexico in mid June, the agent at the 30KM station south of Lukeville, AZ didn't have a clue and wouldn't take our FMM stubs which caused us grief when we went to renew our FM2's in Guad. a few weeks later.

If you don't dally too long, the trip from La Paz to Tecate is doable in 2 days if you want to make better time headed north (or south). There are many more Pemex stations than just a few years ago, but keeping the tanked topped off is always good practice. It's a beautiful trip. Enjoy.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I came upon it while researching our own crossing via Baja Ferries and thought it might be nice to have an update. Unlike what we read from others with vehicles and dogs, we had a fine trip. Maybe they have been listening to feedback? Anyway, all of the details of our experience including facilities, process, costs, booking, vehicle, and pets can be viewed here: http://www.vangabonds.com/baja-ferries/. Hope it's helpful to the next person!

I traveled north on Baja via the ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz about a year ago and had a pleasant experience all the way. We took the road from Ensenada to Tecate and got our FMM at the southbound Mexican INM station at the border. Getting to that station as you're heading north was a bit tricky, but can be done. There is no way to either obtain or relinquish your vehicle permit at Tecate, however. Getting to the INM and Banercito station in Tijuana is much easier heading south than northbound. After crossing into Mexico, take your first right and at the glorieta take the first right again. Take your next left and then right again. There are signs from the glorieta to the INM station.

Hopefully the immigration (INM) agents are better informed now. When we returned to Mexico in mid June, the agent at the 30KM station south of Lukeville, AZ didn't have a clue and wouldn't take our FMM stubs which caused us grief when we went to renew our FM2's in Guad. a few weeks later.

If you don't dally too long, the trip from La Paz to Tecate is doable in 2 days if you want to make better time headed north (or south). There are many more Pemex stations than just a few years ago, but keeping the tanked topped off is always good practice. It's a beautiful trip. Enjoy.

2 weeks ago we left my house in Mexicali to go to San Diego for a few days. That morning we parked close to the border crosssing and walked to the INM building. I asked them what I needed to exit Mexico with my Residente Temporal card and they said nothing, just cross back here as usual. There now is no form to fill out for your Residente Temporal status he said.

At the Mexicali airport this last weekend when returning south I just showed my RT card to the airline check in clerk as my picture ID. The INM officer at the airport, who I know and has given me about 8 or 9 FMTS/ FMMs just nodded at me as I walked past his counter. Alan

Archived