Chapala.com Webboard

Mario's San Antonio

Mainecoons

You folks still like this place? Is it open on Wednesday evenings around 5-6? I couldn't quite figure out their hours from the posts about the place.

JRM and I are looking to try something other than the usual, mainly expat hangouts. Also considering El Zapote in Chapala. Too lazy to go too far, however.

Your friendly comments and suggestions welcome as always. :)

You folks still like this place? Is it open on Wednesday evenings around 5-6? I couldn't quite figure out their hours from the posts about the place.

JRM and I are looking to try something other than the usual, mainly expat hangouts. Also considering El Zapote in Chapala. Too lazy to go too far, however.

Your friendly comments and suggestions welcome as always. :)

Am pretty sure Mario's is closed Mondays and is only open until 4pm. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mario's remains one of the very best resturants Lakeside. Many of his daily specials are wonderful. Definitely a cut above. His clientele is 40/60 gringo/Mexican and, depending on the day, is often 50/50. He is closed on Mondays. Mario's is open from breakfast to 5 PM the other 6 days.

I think the food is great in El Zapote and I can never understand why there arent more people there. Where is Marios in SA?

You will enjoy both the food and service at El Zapote, located on Morelos in Chapala, just a block and a half east of the main intersection. So, if coming from Ajijic, just go through the intersection and park wherever you can.

Enjoy!

OK, Marios closes a little early for this particularly gig so El Zapote it will be unless there are better ideas.

Thanks!

Where is Marios please? I always love to go to different places.

OK, Marios closes a little early for this particularly gig so El Zapote it will be unless there are better ideas.

Thanks!

I just noticed that El Zapote is on vacation until April 8th, Friday.

Mario's is in San Antonio Tlayacapan, half a block west of the southwest corner of the plaza.

Two for you - a bit of a hike, but both worth it.

Head west about 5 miles to SJC to Viva Mexico; a/k/a Tia Lupita. (Closed Thursday, otherwise open 12 to 8 or 9.) After the 2nd tope in SJC, just about 50' before the steel tower, turn left toward the lake. At the bottom of the plaza (church on the left), turn right and just before the 2nd intersection, on the right, is this marvelous place. Augustine, the owner/chef is a great guy. If not too busy, ask him about the mural on the wall. He will give you a seminar on the founding of the village and it's history. The service is sometimes iffy. That's because he employs kids who he would rather have there than hangin' around doing bad stuff. They are always enthusiastic and courteous.

Or go over the mountain to Ixtualcan to Cinco Potrillos. Take the turnaround at the bottom of the mountain back toward Ajijic. Bear right thru the archway into the village. Go past the church on the left - plaza on the right - and at the next intersection, take the 1-way street left for 1 block. Turn left and park. Cinco Potrillos is on the left. Pancho is a most enthusiastic host, his wife is shy and pleasant; the help is good.

Both places are fully bilingual. And the food is always good.

We decided to go for El Rey in Chapala. Cinco Portrillos is one of our favorites. Definitely planning on trying the place in San Juan soon. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll post our findings on the El Rey thread tomorrow.

Mainecoons, you've never been to Viva Mexico? I'm shocked! It's my favorite of any of the restaurants we visited in Lakeside (note, please, I did not use that cursed word "best.")

No Jeanette, haven't been there yet. Have been to the Iguana several times and liked it very much. I posted a review of Rey Taco on that thread. Sorry to say we weren't impressed. I've yet to find a restaurant in Chapala I'd care to return to. I find this a bit strange since we have found quite a number of places all the way from Riberas to Joco that we do return to. Planning on trying El Zapote next.

• 2 weeks later...

No Jeanette, haven't been there yet. Have been to the Iguana several times and liked it very much. I posted a review of Rey Taco on that thread. Sorry to say we weren't impressed. I've yet to find a restaurant in Chapala I'd care to return to. I find this a bit strange since we have found quite a number of places all the way from Riberas to Joco that we do return to. Planning on trying El Zapote next.

Did you try El Zapote

Archived