Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing pets from Mexico TO the US

jkgourmet

Someone contacted me through my site asking if there were ever any problems bringing a dog from Mexico back into the US. They explained that they had heard some horror stories about quarantines.

I've not heard or experienced anything like that, but it got me to thinking.

1. Has anyone ever had a problem with pets when entering the US from Mexico?

2. Anyone know what the requirements are (if any) for shots, health certificates, etc.?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Guest RevImmigrant

Twenty years ago when we moved to upstate NY from Guadalajara, we took our cat with us. We had adopted the cat here and took him with us back to the US. Our paperwork was in order so that was no problem. The agriculture inspector jusr wanted to see the cat to see what kind of cat people would bring back to the US from Mexico!

Someone contacted me through my site asking if there were ever any problems bringing a dog from Mexico back into the US. They explained that they had heard some horror stories about quarantines.

I've not heard or experienced anything like that, but it got me to thinking.

1. Has anyone ever had a problem with pets when entering the US from Mexico?

2. Anyone know what the requirements are (if any) for shots, health certificates, etc.?

Thanks in advance for the information.

As someone who has taken dogs into the US and then to Mexico and then, of course, back again I can say that the documentary requirements are exactly the same. In fact, in reality, I think the Mexican requirement are a bit more stringent--as regards parasites, for instance.

At no time did the US border authorities ask us for any documentation, even though we had it ready. The agent on our way back in at NL was fascinated by our Whippet and was very curious as to where he might get one and how much they cost--but not a hint of an issue regarding paperwork.

All this, of course, was driving, not flying.

--Oh, yes, one would be wise to double-check, but the requirements as far as I know are a standard international health certificate and rabies vaccination.

Bob

Archived