Chapala.com Webboard

power adaptors

VSOP

I know zip about electricity, AC means air-conditioning to me. Can I safely assume that adaptations for ordinary usage of electrical power (as in charging a netbook) are no longer needed throughout Mexico? (Only true in more populated areas?) Last we travelled in Europe, I think we blew up the adaptor! Thanks.

Power here is about the same as US, so no adapter needed. It's 60 cycle and a bit higher in voltage, US is about 117V, here it's typically 127V, or more. If you're only using a laptop it will be ok. We get spikes and surges, but normally a laptop is safe without a regulator, all my other equipment has voltage regulators.

Power here is about the same as US, so no adapter needed. It's 60 cycle and a bit higher in voltage, US is about 117V, here it's typically 127V, or more. If you're only using a laptop it will be ok. We get spikes and surges, but normally a laptop is safe without a regulator, all my other equipment has voltage regulators.

Thanks so much. I see on my power cord to re-charge the netbook, it says 10A125V, so am guessing that cord is better than good-enough for US and almost good enough for Mexico . . . works for me!

Thanks so much. I see on my power cord to re-charge the netbook, it says 10A125V, so am guessing that cord is better than good-enough for US and almost good enough for Mexico . . . works for me!

Yes, the transformer type cords are pretty tolerant of higher voltages. When I moved here the house had a regulator for the TV, I plugged in and a few months later checked the output of the regulator and it was 135V, it was actually raising the voltage, but didn't hurt anything, I chucked it and got a new one, but I've had laptops running direct since arriving and never a problem.

Archived