Chapala.com Webboard

A practically foodless diet

MCsquared

I had a colonoscopy last week.

It found three conditions that are not fatal, but present a serious nuisance and are potentially serious.

I may no longer eat Spices, Citrus, Starches, Alcohol, Dairy products, especially cheese, cream or mayannaise. ( I dislike mayonnaise any way,) grease, nuts.

Included are ittle meat and lots of water.

One of my conditions is Diverticulitis, so that eliminates seed fruits or vegetables.

Much fiber is recommended.

So, I am asking (begging) for recipes for a simple cook to prepare, preferably non=nauseus meals.

Fish and chicken are ok.

Is rice a starch?

Are there spices that are not really spices. Do they make you throw up?

I assume starches include bread and potatos,

Anyway, help.

Personal data available by PM.

My husband was recently diagnosed with diverticulosis (or itis, as you prefer). After much research I think the newest thinking on the part of gastroenterlogists, as least in the US, is that such a restricted diet is not necessary until you have symptoms at which point you should switch to a low fiber, no seed, low fat and a softer diet. Also, my husband has been told to start on antibiotics the minute he gets diarrhea.

My husband was recently diagnosed with diverticulosis (or itis, as you prefer). After much research I think the newest thinking on the part of gastroenterlogists, as least in the US, is that such a restricted diet is not necessary until you have symptoms at which point you should switch to a low fiber, no seed, low fat and a softer diet. Also, my husband has been told to start on antibiotics the minute he gets diarrhea. Of course I don't know what other conditions you have and this just applies to diverticulosis/itis.

I've been bothered by diverticulosis for over a decade and continue to eat whatever I like. Granted, some things are bothersome and require gentle massage of the offending part of the gut, but that usually works. Other things cause bloating, which can be uncomfortable and you'll soon learn which to avoid or which are worth the discomfort. In that way, you can manage your diet without too much trouble. I find that minimizing red meat and gas producing vegetables helps a lot. I don't worry about the small fruit seeds in berries, grapes, etc. I do eat cheese and use milk in cereals.

I'd second doing a ton of googling to find out what more up to date medical advise is. My husband does just great eating whatever he wants until he gets a touch of food poisoning. Then we go to the antibiotics and soft diet. There is no evidence that seeds damage the diverticuli when they are not inflamed. Find out by trial and error what you can eat and then eat away!

Diverticulosis diet – What is it?

A diverticulosis diet is one that is basically rich in fiber. The main purpose of this diet is to reduce the chances of developing diverticulosis. This diet also helps prevent the symptoms of diverticulosis such as abdominal pain.

How do I incorporate high-fiber foods in my diet?

Whole wheat, bran, whole grain cereal, fruits and legumes are the food that possess high fiber content. These foods can be included in your diet by following a few simple steps:

Twice a week include legumes in your meal. Peas, beans, lentils and soybeans constitute legumes.

Consume fruits with the skin and the seeds.

Include vegetables in your snacks and meals.

Slowly increase the intake of fiber.

Replace food like rice, pasta and white bread with ones that are made out of whole wheat.

Have enough fluids along with the rich fiber food.

What are the kinds of food that I should avoid?

A select group of foods that may aggravate the situation are:

Corn

Nuts

Popcorn

Coconut

Strawberries

Coconut

When eaten raw, some items like tomatoes, squash and cucumbers are also seen to cause problems, this goes down a certain degree after they have been cooked.

The Amount of fiber some foods possess

Grains

Whole-wheat bread

Each slice contains 1.9 grams

White rice

Each cup contains 0.6 grams

Bran flake cereal

Each ¾ cup contains 5.3 grams

Vegetables

Fresh and cooked carrot

Each ½ a cup contains 2.3 grams

Fresh and cooked cauliflower

Each ½ a cup contains 1.7 grams

A raw tomato contains 1 gram

Potato fresh and cooked

Each contains 2.3 grams

Fresh and cooked broccoli

Each ½ cup contains 2.6 grams

Fruit

Raw peach

Each one contains 1.5 grams

Raw tangerine

Each piece contains 1.9 grams

Ok, just to be clear, there is a difference: "Diverticulosis" is the condition of having pockets, or out-pouchings, in your colon. Many people have these and are never bothered by them. It becomes "Diverticulitis" when one, or more, of those pouches becomes inflammed ("-itis" = inflammation). The pockets tend to trap debris, fill up and become infected....then it turns ugly :010:

Condolences to the OP. Hopefully you'll be able to achieve some moderation in your diet, as opposed to abstinence. Good luck!

Farmgirl, RN

Archived