Chapala.com Webboard

LCS member has trouble renting a video

Irish Gal

My sister-in-law, who is a member in good standing of LCS, tried to rent a video today at LCS. The following is her experience:

"I went to the LCS Video Library on Friday to borrow a video. When the volunteer tried to scan my membership card, I was told that I was no longer in the system as a member. I told her that I had kept paying my dues faithfully and that I should be in the system. When I inquired why she told me that the computer system was just updated and that they have been having many problems. But then, upon looking at my membership card, she explained to me that my membership was no longer valid and that I would have to use my husband's card to borrow any videos. What ????? Luckily my husband was at LCS with me. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to borrow a video. I've been a member of LCS for 5 years and resent the fact that I have now to rely on my husband's ID to use LCS facilities. We have paid our yearly dues for both of us to be members so why was it decided that the "husband's card" was the one to be kept and not the wife's ? What happens if you are a single woman ? You can't belong to LCS ? What's next ? Taking away our right to vote ? I know that Mexico is a paternalistic society but isn't LCS run by expats ?

I was then told that I'd have to go to the Office to get my card "fixed" with only my husband's number and have my photo re-taken. The computer system was uncooperative and by this time I was at my wit's end.

If you have any comments or reaction to this post, please post."

My sister-in-law, who is a member in good standing of LCS, tried to rent a video today at LCS. The following is her experience:

"I went to the LCS Video Library on Friday to borrow a video. When the volunteer tried to scan my membership card, I was told that I was no longer in the system as a member. I told her that I had kept paying my dues faithfully and that I should be in the system. When I inquired why she told me that the computer system was just updated and that they have been having many problems. But then, upon looking at my membership card, she explained to me that my membership was no longer valid and that I would have to use my husband's card to borrow any videos. What ????? Luckily my husband was at LCS with me. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to borrow a video. I've been a member of LCS for 5 years and resent the fact that I have now to rely on my husband's ID to use LCS facilities. We have paid our yearly dues for both of us to be members so why was it decided that the "husband's card" was the one to be kept and not the wife's ? What happens if you are a single woman ? You can't belong to LCS ? What's next ? Taking away our right to vote ? I know that Mexico is a paternalistic society but isn't LCS run by expats ?

I was then told that I'd have to go to the Office to get my card "fixed" with only my husband's number and have my photo re-taken. The computer system was uncooperative and by this time I was at my wit's end.

I have an idea..On Monday go to the office have the problem solved and check out whatever you want. Sounds pretty simple to me.

I recently had the same problem when checking out a library book. I too was told I needed to get a new card with my husbands membership number on it. I went into the office and had a new card made with my name and my picture on it. The LCS membership now has all family members-up to four on a membership- with only one number not up to four different numbers. No big deal- just go have a new card made- no charge. They are just updating their system.

maw

I talked to Tom Keane who runs the video library at LCS this morning and told him about this thread on chapala.com

He told me that he had to change his card to his wife's number because they are going by the lowest number on a family membership- not a husbands number! LOL!!

maw

This year I renewed only my membership since my husband never used his anyway. No problem at the office. Got my shiny new card.

However, when you bring back books to the library, it seems you can't just slide them onto the counter and split, lest it doesn't get checked it in that you actually brought it back. You're supposed to stand in the line to return them, or so the volunteer told me yesterday. Just another little tope in the road, but no, it's not in the same class as a tsunami, I know. LOL> Just giving y'all a heads up.

Sorry about the difficulty you had when you tried to check out a movie. In defense of the volunteer on duty Friday, she has been working in the video library for several years and does a good job. Unfortuantely, she has "been off" with a partial knee replacement since before the first of the year when the new program was installed. Friday was her second day back to work, and even the people who have been working regularly, have had some confusing moments trying to figure out all the new bells and whistles.

You do not have to use your husband's card to use the LCS facilities, but, yes, you do have to get another card with HIS NUMBER on it because the new system defaults to the lower or lowest number of the members when there is family membership. You mentioned taking away your privledge to vote and seemed to insinuate that the women's rights were being ignored or, certainly, limited. Had your husband allowed you to register first, he would be the subservient one and would have to use your number. By the way, my wife's number is on my card.

Tom Keane LCS Video Library.

We are still living NOB, but have been LCS members for two years and always stop in there when we are down on vacation. We dropped in last week to pick up our copy of the directory and, because mi esposo has the lower of the two membership numbers, they told me I'd need to get a new card made and that we would share the number. Unfortunately, we were unable to complete the task due to computer / printer issues. That was on Tuesday. I stopped back on Friday to get mail to carry back NOB and we tried to create a new card again with no success due to computer issues. Maybe in August when we're back..... The volunteers in the office were GREAT!!!!! Just equipment issues.

This year I renewed only my membership since my husband never used his anyway. No problem at the office. Got my shiny new card.

However, when you bring back books to the library, it seems you can't just slide them onto the counter and split, lest it doesn't get checked it in that you actually brought it back. You're supposed to stand in the line to return them, or so the volunteer told me yesterday. Just another little tope in the road, but no, it's not in the same class as a tsunami, I know. LOL> Just giving y'all a heads up.

Does this mean that there are that many people who are actually stealing books either by not returning them, or even taking them off the return counter?

Does this mean that there are that many people who are actually stealing books either by not returning them, or even taking them off the return counter?

Apparently something is going on. A few weeks ago, I checked the computer re a popular new book I wanted, then checked with the volunteer. There were three "alleged" copies available, but not one of them was on the shelves, and they hadn't been checked out. So.......they went "walkabout", perhaps?

What kind of tacky person does this sort of thing? Obviously, "they walk among us". <_<

Apparently something is going on. A few weeks ago, I checked the computer re a popular new book I wanted, then checked with the volunteer. There were three "alleged" copies available, but not one of them was on the shelves, and they hadn't been checked out. So.......they went "walkabout", perhaps?

What kind of tacky person does this sort of thing? Obviously, "they walk among us". <_<

Don't be so quick to accuse. I have returned books only to find they got lost - and not entered into the system - that is, they showed I never returned the books. Since I had, we both agreed to wait things out a bit - and about a month later, the book was quietly resting in place on the shelf. Stuff happens unsure.gif

Don't be so quick to accuse. I have returned books only to find they got lost - and not entered into the system - that is, they showed I never returned the books. Since I had, we both agreed to wait things out a bit - and about a month later, the book was quietly resting in place on the shelf. Stuff happens unsure.gif

I don't think that's "quick to accuse". There is no way that all three copies of a new book can disappear without anyone legitimately checking them out. There are indeed people who take out books without checking them out......and they return them later when they feel like it, and no sooner. Saves them paying fines.

I used the phrase "tacky" before. Someone else might want to expand it to whatever describes people who are not as considerate as other patrons who check out their books and return them on time so others can enjoy them. Glitches in the computer system or volunteer error is an entirely different matter. That's where "stuff happens" fits the situation. :rolleyes:

Archived