Chapala.com Webboard

"Black Coffee" to open in about three months

shmiller

We enjoyed a stop at "Black Coffee" an equal or better than Starbucks knock-off, located near the new Costco in Guadalajara, yesterday. Modern, efficient, air-conditioned, and pricey. Looking forward to when they open the new store at the Centro Laguna mall in Ajijic. Employees stated it is scheduled to open in a few months and will be bigger than the standard size store because it will have a restaurant as well.

5556279574_8bbc604407_z.jpg

We enjoyed a stop at "Black Coffee" an equal or better than Starbucks knock-off, located near the new Costco in Guadalajara, yesterday. Modern, efficient, air-conditioned, and pricey. Looking forward to when they open the new store at the Centro Laguna mall in Ajijic. Employees stated it is scheduled to open in a few months and will be bigger than the standard size store because it will have a restaurant as well.

I've had Black Coffee coffee in Guadalajara and still like the café at the local CAFES better-like The Coffee Tree in Chapala, the one across from the church in Ajijic.

I've had Black Coffee coffee in Guadalajara and still like the café at the local CAFES better-like The Coffee Tree in Chapala, the one across from the church in Ajijic.

Cafe Grano on Marcos Castellanos. Their cafe frappuccinos are the best way to beat the heat.

How pricey is pricey? Arranaga's prices recently went up but the cost of their frappucino is still may less than at Starbucks.

I go to Miky's near the Domino Plaza all the time. Their lattes are great and the gals who work there are very delightful. I'm glad the new place is going to be a "knock off"; I'm from the Seattle area and I hate Starbucks as I think it is way too bitter.

Enjoy!

Isn't there a shop called 'Black coffee' already in Ajijic? The little coffee shop on the plaza, on the corner, just across from the Jardin restaurant?

I may be misremembering, but it looked similar.

Pete

Pete, the new place on the Ajijic plaza is called Black and White. Don't hold your breath. We've been in there several times. They don't seem to have their act together yet. Time will tell.

There is a place in Ajijic across from SuperLake called Cafe Negro. So there may be some missed meeting connections until the names get sorted out among us locals.

One thing I like about the new "Black Coffee" is the all glass walls and that it's air conditioned and more or less sound proof inside... a great place to read from your wifi device and sip a cup a joe or two during those warm summer afternoons. There will be outdoor tables and chairs as well. It's architecturally modern and hip with some fabulous modern art on the walls. The name of the place is actually, Black Coffee Gallery, ART and COFFEE made by ARTISTS by Rolando Rojas.

Check the image of the place and the music...

www.blackcoffeegallery.com.mx/

Steve

Pete, the new place on the Ajijic plaza is called Black and White. Don't hold your breath. We've been in there several times. They don't seem to have their act together yet. Time will tell.

There is a place in Ajijic across from SuperLake called Cafe Negro. So there may be some missed meeting connections until the names get sorted out among us locals.

One thing I like about the new "Black Coffee" is the all glass walls and that it's air conditioned and more or less sound proof inside... a great place to read from your wifi device and sip a cup a joe or two during those warm summer afternoons. There will be outdoor tables and chairs as well. It's architecturally modern and hip with some fabulous modern art on the walls. The name of the place is actually, Black Coffee Gallery, ART and COFFEE made by ARTISTS by Rolando Rojas.

Check the image of the place and the music...

www.blackcoffeegallery.com.mx/

Steve

Sadly, Cafe Negro no longer has an expresso machine, but they used to have very good lattes, etc. I had a capuccino recently at the place in the plaza across from El Jardin, and agree with Steve-they can't compete with Cafe Grano. Miky's, across from Tobolandia, also has good cafe.

Try this one: La Prensa Francesa. The coffee, capucino, latte, etc. are all good and the place has a wonderful "beatnik" atmosphere. Service is usually available in Spanish, English, French...and sometimes even Portugese. On April 2, there will be a one-year anniversary party at the coffee house, with live jazz and poetry (in Spanish). It's located on Morelos (Colon) about half a block north of the pier in Ajijic.

Try this one: La Prensa Francesa. The coffee, capucino, latte, etc. are all good and the place has a wonderful "beatnik" atmosphere. Service is usually available in Spanish, English, French...and sometimes even Portugese. On April 2, there will be a one-year anniversary party at the coffee house, with live jazz and poetry (in Spanish). It's located on Morelos (Colon) about half a block north of the pier in Ajijic.

I forgot to mention this place, it's charming and I've had good cafe there.

Last time I looked, Super Lake was in San Antonio Tlayacapan, not in Ajijic. From another post, it is actually Cafe Grano Cafe, or translated, Coffee Bean Cafe. Their coffee, roasted by them just down the street on the corner, is excellent. And their prices are very fair.

• 3 months later...

Come on over to Cafe Adoria in

CASA ADORIA

CONSTITUCION 75, Ajijic

Just three houses off Donato Guerra ... Through the arched doors as in the photo.

Coffees, Organic Teas,

Exquisite Treats & Savory Breakfast Tortas

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 9 til 3 p.m.

Wednesday 11 til 4 p.m.

Daniel plays his electric violin live at the bottom of the market from 9:45 to 10:45 to promote the cafe (only if it is not raining)

5734463.jpg

Have you been yearning for the perfect cup of coffee?

Daniel and Ellen are coffee lovers who make great coffee for coffee lovers

We also have wonderful organic teas, and, we make all our sweet and savory treats right here in our own kitchen.

We endeavor to provide the best true coffee experience.

Serving only our custom roasted beans ground to perfection, ... we celebrate Great Coffee

Photos and full menu at:

www.cafeadoria.com

or

www.casaadoria.com

There can never be enough wonderful coffeehouses if they are really committed to good coffee, comfort, great atmosphere and excellent service.

Read, relax, chat, meet others, browse the boutique items, enjoy the garden patio and above all, have coffee made for you as you like it

Come on over and give us a try... we invite you

Ellen and Daniel

2003451.jpg

• 8 months later...

I like the place overall. The drinks are good and the atmosphere is cheerful, but there staff really don´t have a clue when it comes to customer service.

I´ve gone there many times and it´s always the same. You practically have to jump up and down for them to even notice you...and that´s only when they decide to interrupt the current gossip session. When they finally do, it takes a long time for them to get your drink. It doesn´t matter if you´re the only person in the building, it seems to take twice as long as it should just to get one drink.

Today I walked in and walked out. Why? Because I was the only one at the counter and no one wanted to acknowledge me. There was some young kid on the cash register immediately in front of me, but he never once looked up at me. He really gave the appearance that he didn´t want to be bothered or else he was too fascinated with the register keys. The manager was to my right and was giving instructions to another worker. Again, no one acknowledged me. It would have taken nothing for one of them to look up and say, in English or Spanish, "I´ll be right with you." Instead, they lost a sale.

I like the frozen drinks, so I´ll give them one last chance, but I´m not holding my breath that anything´s going to improve.

This was posted today, April 1st. on the Chapala.com website.

Did you give the customary 'buenas dias' when you entered the business? If not, you weren't 'there' yet. It is different here.

Yes...pls see my other postings. But, fwiw, why is it always assumed that the complaint isn´t valid? I might add that I was staring at the staff and had my $$ in my hand. I was right next to the cash register and kept looking at them. I´ve also lived here nearly 7 years...I´m pretty comfortable with the customs and do speak Spanish.

I've been in there 3 different times in the last couple of weeks. Every time I was there, the staff were as nice as could be & are getting the hang of the job & were very friendly. It's a little pricey but I like the atmosphere in there & will definitely go back. Perhaps the different attitudes some have gotten have to do with a different shift of workers. Possibly there are a lot of part-timers. They've had a lot of people in there whenever I've gone except for one time when there were only a few.

Archived